Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The (truly) Awesome Dev List  (Read 1495 times)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The (truly) Awesome Dev List
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:52:02 pm »

I just read the first part of the Consolidated Development Page, and... oh my effing god. I see why this is still in alpha.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The (truly) Awesome Dev List
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:57 pm »

But Savok, you've been around a LONG time.  I can't believe you never looked though the dev notes before.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:06:35 am »

A surprising number of us have not looked through that stuff for a while. I know the first time I went through all of it nothing stuck, and the second time after playing DF for a month or so I finally understood how epic it was.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:34:14 am »

But Savok, you've been around a LONG time.  I can't believe you never looked though the dev notes before.

I wanted to post something similar. Savok, you are an old newbie!  ;D

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:56:12 pm »

yeah, I have been playing DF for about 19 months now and have read that page multiple times, but it really doesn't sink in. Especially way back when I started playing, 2D just didn't show the potential quite so much as the latest version.

In a year, I bet DF'll show the complexity of the dev list so much more incredibly.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 03:32:48 pm »

With all of the dev notes on one page (I'd viewed individual lists before), I'm seeing some rather amusing items that I'd missed previously.

I love the title on this one:

Req406, PUT ON YOUR MASK BEFORE ASSISTING THE CHILD NEXT TO YOU, (Future): Parents can die from thirst seeking their infants. It might help them to prioritize if they are dehydrated.

This one's a good idea:

Req273, STATE OF EMERGENCY, (Future): Having castle and royal guards uses up soldiers you'd like to use sometimes. Add state of emergency declaration. This allows you to stop these guards from performing their regular duties, and you can control the castle guard under their captain (the sheriff), and you can control the royal guard under the hammerer. They don't like this of course, and the ensuing negative thoughts can ensure that the option is used sparingly.

Everything's better with projectile vomit!:

Req199, VOMIT TEXT ISSUE WITH WEBS, AND SOLUTION, (Future): There's some undisplayable text that can only be salvaged by adding projectile vomit, so there you go.

Score another point for "most detailed world sim ever":

Bloat346, SUPER NIGHT SKY, (Future): Stars, entity-named constellations with lines chosen for them. If there are hemispheres, visible stars can change with position. If the world rotates, they can move during the course of an evening.

An oldie but a goodie:

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

The "fistfight with the nearest cat" made me laugh out loud:

Bloat95, GRUDGES, (Future): Grudges and personality conflicts. So instead of making friends, sometimes, dwarves will make enemies. Can form grudges over dead pets and fist fight tantrums. If a cat eats an escaped vermin pet, the owner can start a fist fight with the nearest cat or with the cat's owner.

The cat problem, solved!:

Req509, CASTRATING ANIMALS, (Future): Dwarves should be able to castrate male animals. Spaying female animals might be beyond the ability of dwarves to do reliably.

For all the monster modders out there:

Req539, UNDIGNIFIED DIGGING, (Future): Somebody wanted to dig in the dirt without picks. It's not very dwarven, but I suppose it could be allowed.

Awww. Alternatively, "Urist McDwarf has been happy lately. He admired a fine basalt Toy boat recently. He enjoyed a lavish MRE recently. He recently took joy in slaughter":

Bloat175, CARE PACKAGES, (Future): Being able to send comforting trinkets and provisions to your armies.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:03:41 pm by Lord Licorice »
Derp.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:18:21 am »

# Bloat175, CARE PACKAGES, (Future): Being able to send comforting trinkets and provisions to your armies.

Urist McAxedwarf: Oi! Cog! We got a care package from the mountainhomes!
Cog McHammerdwarf: By Armok! Did they send the booze we asked for? I'm gettin' sick o' carp water, especially afteh Libash fell in.
Urist McAxedwarf: Er, no, they send us 403 flint mugs
Cog McHammerdwarf: ...
Urist McAxedwarf: And an Elf Skull Totem
Cog McHammerdwarf: Interestin'... Wasn't the book keeper whinin' about us havin' no stockpile room for that kind o' crap before we left?
Urist McAxedwarf has been stricken by melancholy!
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 08:52:22 am »

Uh oh:

# Bloat46, PROPER PREGNANCY, (Future): Currently creatures become pregnant from a distance, although it does do a gender check at least.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:13:39 pm »

This one's a classic:

PowerGoal46, THE GIANT ASS BOOK, (Future): You go to a dwarf fortress and see a giant unliftable tome filled with maps of the Underworld.  You sketch a copy and depart.

lol, innuendo.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 11:16:22 pm »

heh. The Giant Ass-Book. Wonder what that'ld look like. A pity I'm not an artist.

EDIT: most of the images "giant ass-book" returns from google are hulk comics... wut?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:41:33 am by Savok »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:29:39 pm »

Ah yes, the giant ass-book.  I was looking for one of those.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 03:10:22 am »

Giant ass books:

Spoiler breaks Forum boundarys
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like that genetics and poison stuff most which is comming.

I made it an little ritual to look throught the list and check what Goals etc were worked on.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.