Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58636 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2020, 01:02:09 am »

Journal of Fatcat, overseer of Goldsilver
Timber 17, 251

The last few days have been hectic. As the elections approach, people are once again talking up a storm about their beliefs and policies. In addition, another dwarf has joined the scuffle. The dwarf I selected to be our doctor came up to me yesterday, and introduced herself as "Lucky," a notable scholar from the mountainhomes. She told me that she had recently learned of a largely forgotten one of our gods, Doren, and had come to worship him. Her understanding of his history led her to believe that he was directly opposed to the worship of Armok. She admitted that I had plenty to keep busy with, but asked if I could design a pyramid as a temple, library, and dormitory for all worshipers of Doren. Quantum Drop will not be pleased, but it is my policy to provide a space of worship to the followers of any dwarven god, and neither she nor Lucky will be excluded from that.
I told Maximum Spin about all this last night, and he, after a while thinking, came to the conclusion that paper must be related to trees, and so is evil. I myself don't much understand the paper making process, but I know it doesn't use trees for the fiber. I told him that I was pretty certain that paper was made from farm plants like pig tail, or else from the hides of animals, and that in either case, it's manufacture would provide extra employment for the farmers. He seemed slightly reassured by this, but remained dubious about the whole affair.
Another notable conversation with him happened about a week ago, when we were discussing the troubles the vultures caused this summer. During the discussion, Max Spin concocted the grandest scheme that I have ever heard. He glowingly described his vision to cover the entirety of Goldsiver with a massive dome of glass and gems, allowing sunlight through in every color of the rainbow, while protecting our people from every kind of walking and flying creature. The scale of his imagination sometimes staggers me, but his creativity makes me like him all the more.
One note of levity: as I was walking past The Ape of Mists, I encountered an unusual sight:

Fikod, a butcher, was giving a personal lesson on butchering to the elven monster-hunter. That is probably the strangest site I have seen all year.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:34:04 pm by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2020, 02:07:09 am »

Fatcat tries to assure me that these new paper-scribblers will provide employment for Goldsilver's farmers, the second most important profession in any fortress. Still, I remain skeptical. Farm crops should be drunk or, occasionally, eaten, not pounded flat and used for writing. It just smacks of woodcarving, or at least engraving. I suppose in the same spirit of good faith as befits engravers, I will simply keep the newcomer ON NOTICE. I could hardly fail to trust dear Fatcat's instincts, especially after she took my anti-bird gemwall suggestion so enthusiastically...

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2020, 03:37:14 am »

The main limiting factor for the wall is how fast I can make stone blocks.
At least you're using blocks and not listening to the philistines who say that it's okay to just use rough stone.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2020, 09:17:09 am »

A wealth of burnable wood lies beneath us. Wood that can made ash and turned toward cleaning. The incumbent aversion to sanitation is strong, but I'm sure I that in explaining the production process, these poor souls might better grasp the miracle of soap. It's a bar, it cleans wounds, and it's made by slaying animals and burning trees. Is that not dwarfy enough? With underground forestry, we could even hornswoggle the elves. The only thing better than elven murder is using their own economic output to clandestinely destroy all they cherish, that they may one day realize the gravity of the deeds in which they've so invested.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2020, 08:09:06 pm »

Timber 25th, 251

I received a major shock today. I ran into Lucky at the fortress entrance, and stopped to discuss construction plans, but she brushed right past me and nearly ran down the main hall. Intrigued, I followed her. She ran to a craftsdwarf's workshop, and started frenetically rearranging the tools. When I asked what was going on, she pulled out a scrap of old tattered piece of paper, and sketched a number of things on it, handed it to me, and then waved me out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This must be some sort of mood again, and if I understand correctly, these sketches indicate what Lucky needs to complete her work. We ought to have everything she needs, but I am left to wonder why everyone wants to use our wood, when we will need every piece we have when it comes time to build furnaces.
On an encouraging note, the last stones were laid in the ceiling of The Ape of Mists this week.
It has not been furnished, but the farmers already consider it good enough as a guildhall, and have been meeting when they have the time. It is a good solid building that will stand the test of time. I hope that many more will follow.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2020, 04:24:25 am »

She might want some of the ore that's lying in the middle of the caverns. I'm pretty sure it's forbidden, though.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2020, 10:12:08 pm »

I'll try to put out another update tonight for what I have played since last time, and also complete the year. I have 1.5 months left, but a bit of !fun! showed up that I have to deal with, which will necessitate more writing than normal in everything but the best scenario. The elections are scheduled for tomorrow, right?

Edit:
Opal 18th, 251

The mood that took Lucky quickly came to its fruition.
Nephilim told me that it looks to be the most valuable object ever made in our fortress.
In other news, I have been strengthening the mining force, and have ordered a new pick made out of our one bar of copper for a miner that doesn't have a tool to dig with. It appears that I will not be able to complete the opening of the fortress within my term, but a good four layers have been removed above it. The great wall project also drags on seemingly indefinitely, as even four masons working full speed cannot provide enough cut stone for it. Because of this, there has been no choice but to build other things, most notably The Ape of Mists out of rough stone. A tiny bit has been spared for one vital project.
The wall around the entrance and the trade depot was built by Nephilim, but he failed to complete it by the elections last year, and the work access ramps allowed dwarves and animals to walk straight over our inner defenses. With the use of a small part of our precious supply of cut stone, it was completed, and the inner fortress is much more secure.
A week ago, we had a different sort of major event.
Tulon, our militia captain has given birth to the fist child born in Goldsilver. I hope she is able to balance her position's duitys with cairing for her child. I hope his career is illustrious, and that the first native here brings glory to his home.
Having no objections to any of the dwarven religions, I have started designing the pyramid that Lucky requested. It is unlikely to be completed for a long time, due to the lateness of the season, and the controversy surrounding her creed, but the foundations will be there when someone favorable to her goals becomes the overseer.
Hastily scrawled on:
Opal 19th, 251

I knew that we were not finishing the wall fast enough.
Someone just reported seeing a cyclops coming down off of one of the neighboring mountain peaks. I do not know what will happen, but it won't be good, unless something unforeseen happens. Nobody here is a great fighter, and no one but the miners have weapons ready. I will go now, and try to marshal everyone inside until the militia can grab whatever weapons they can find.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:37:01 am by fatcat__25 »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2020, 12:41:45 am »

I guess I'll have to ask for one more day if tomorrow is the election. I can't quite get done tonight.

Also, a rules question, does someone's dwarf getting yeeted out of existence due to an accidentally incorrect designation warrant a few days save scum, or should I just roll with it?
Scratch that. I accidentally closed the game before saving a copy, so it is happening, whether or not it should have. oops  :-[
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:52:04 am by fatcat__25 »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2020, 01:58:22 am »

I guess I'll have to ask for one more day if tomorrow is the election. I can't quite get done tonight.
You have until Thursday unless my count is off, so unless you're living in Tonga you have another day anyway (and even if you were living in Tonga I only really care what day it is where I live).

Also, a rules question, does someone's dwarf getting yeeted out of existence due to an accidentally incorrect designation warrant a few days save scum, or should I just roll with it?
Scratch that. I accidentally closed the game before saving a copy, so it is happening, whether or not it should have. oops  :-[
You should just roll with it if it happens. Try not to lose progress again.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2020, 03:52:00 pm »

I have been promoted as a doctor of Goldsilver. Which I am quite satisfied that Fatcat got wind of my scholarly work. Thanks to my new position I have had a lot of free time to think, and something that I have actually didn't took the time to think over emerged. I don't really know how to worship Doren. I have tried many methods. I tried making bird noises while flapping my arms like a bird. At night when everyone is sleeping I would secretly sneak up the unfinished fortress and stood in a T-pose flapping my wind. one instance of my daily nightly worship of Doren.  I was making my way up to the surface and I was intercepted by a crossed-arm furrowed brow Maximum Spin eyeing me down. my face turned red out of embarrassment. MS notified me that he have been watching me go up those fortress wall and flap my wings.Maximum Spin got closer inspected me head to toe and admit that he doesn't know what I am up to, but whatever it is it ain't good and he'll be keeping a watchful eyes on me.
He left my presence and left me dripping in a pool of sweat. Now everyone is going know what I do every night,  and make fun of me.

Ever since that the other dwarves would call me birdy underneath their breathe...woe is me.

During one of my downtime I began to think to myself. "What makes a priestess a priestess?oh! They have scepters..right?, right." So I hastily made my way to crafting workshop and began to sketch a design for my scepter. After hours of designing  I went to Fatcat to plead for her to open up thr caverns. She was hesitant but agree. With all the materials all splayed out on the crafting bench. I cracked my knuckles and began to work on my creation.

Finally! After times have gone by, I have created my magnus opius! Vola! I present to you! Tunurroth(the styledomain). I happily presented my artifact to Fatcat and  also thanked her for opening the caverns for me. I told her that the image on the spherical ball at the top end of the scepter was an image of a Giant Eagle. Fatcat eyes squinted and ask if she could inspect it. I gave it to her and fatcat took a gander at the image and scratched her head. "Uh, this doesn't look like an eagle." She boldy claimed.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean it kind of looked like a penguin."
"A what?"
"A penguin, you know those small flightless birds who waddle funny"
"So are you saying that this isn't an Eagle? "
"Well, to me, it looked like a penguin."
"Oh."
I might not  be the most artistic, but to me It's an Eagle i don't care what anyone says about it. With this Scepter I am officially a priestess of Doren!

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2020, 05:12:15 pm »

You should just roll with it if it happens. Try not to lose progress again.
I am really sorry about that. I probably shouldn't be playing dwarf fortress when I'm both tired and in a hurry.
I'll try again today to finish, but if i can't quite make it to granite, just role play that I'm too exhausted to finish the last bit of the year, and so call the election early. I sort of am exhausted from writing updates. I'm not good at writing this much.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2020, 11:42:50 pm »

Done! I'll upload the save soon, and the rest of the story when I get time. (Probably tomorrow.) All I can say is that I don't have another year in me for a while, and I hope that my fellow politicians can bring the projects I started to some sort of conclusion.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2020, 10:48:59 pm »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15216

I have to share the internet, so I didn't have a chance to upload last night. Here is the save.

Edit: And here is the rest of my updates.
Opal 20th, 251

What a day. The cyclops charged right past the unfinished end of the wall, and slaughtered Vabok, a miner. It then went and stomped on a couple of our animals before the military could catch it. It then badly pounded one of the monster hunters, before finally succumbing to the efforts of our militia.
I have asked that someone dump the corpse of the cyclops outside the wall, and have ordered a tomb built for Vabok.
It was a terrifying day, but I suppose it could have been worse. The livestock distracting the monster was a blessing form the gods.

Granite 1st, 252,

Today, my term comes to an end, and very little that I set out to do is actually done. I am mentally exhausted from the daily concerns and complaints of the citizens, and from trying to design the structures that will define this fortress for years to come. The only thing I was able to complete that I promised was a more complete seal of the caverns.
I was unable to collect any more animals except for a few brought for trade, although some of the creatures did give birth in the last year. Niether of the massive construction projects were completed, either.
The wall encircles about half of the fortress, but the production of blocks continues to drag on at a miserable pace.
Building it up the side of the mountain is going to take a massive amount of materials. Hopefully my successor can bring it to a secure level of completion.
The mountainside has been slowly yielding to the picks of our miners, but two layers remain between the present level and the fortress.
It is providing a massive quantity of stone for construction, which is proving useful.
Currently, the most material is being poured into the temple that Lucky requested. It is a wonder that no other religion has requested a place to worship. Not that we have the dwarfpower to build anything else.
Besides the base level walls, some attempts have been made to prepare a farm underneath the building, out of the frigid mountain winds.
The population has exploded over the last year, from the 8 dwarves that voted me into office this spring to 52 citizens, and 21 monster hunters.
We did have the joyful news shortly after the cyclops incursion.
Yung Boujee and another dwarf both presented us with a new baby within a single day of each other. We all hope that our fortress can provide a good home to them.
I must lay down my pen, now. The time has come for the elections. May the best dwarf win, and may they have the strength to run this place.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 10:37:44 pm by fatcat__25 »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2020, 02:35:52 am »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15216

I have to share the internet, so I didn't have a chance to upload last night. Here is the save.
Good job, Fatcat. Just post the final update when you get a chance.

In the meantime, it's ELECTION TIME! It's going to work just as it did last time. Any dwarf who's interested in running should declare his or her candidacy and the party he or she is running under. Endorsement speeches are also welcome.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2020, 09:50:55 am »

Animal killing and tree burning for all
 Support soap.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32