Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigration Control  (Read 1509 times)

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigration Control
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

I don't read the suggestions forums very often so I don't know if this sort of idea has been proposed before. Basically, I want there to be some sort of in-game control over immigration along the same lines as the trade contracts with the mountain home.

Have the liaison meet with your Outpost Manager and start up a request screen as to how many, and what kind of dwarves you would like to see in the next season. Maybe have it on a point system, or a priority system, where you might want to get a handful of craftsmen, or a large number of peasants or some such. If finding enough time to meet with the liaison is a problem, maybe split it into two separate visiting nobles, a liaison and a trade minister or something.

Along the same lines, I'm a bit annoyed that the liaison meets with the Expedition Leader instead of your broker for the trade contracts. This is mostly only a problem because my leader title was assigned to a random miner instead of my trader, but it still makes more sense to me that the broker would have more to do with trade contracts.

To help with the annoyance of having the liaison follow your dwarf around waiting for a chance to butt in, maybe have them auto assigned to travel to the relevant noble's office and wait there, like traders do. Then, like the depot, give the task "noble requested" to priority drag someone into the office to interact.

Crowley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration Control
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

As someone who prefers a smaller, more controllable fortress, I think this is a great idea.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:19:00 pm »

I like the current migration system. Who said random was bad?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:25:00 pm »

Its not the randomness that bothers me, its the quantity.

Right now its impossible to maintain a small self-sufficient outpost with a handful of dwarves. The only option is to make a sprawling fortress with dwarves out the yin-yang (unless I choose to "dispose" of a few in a convenient pit.)

Also, like my situation, I'll be ready to support a large population, in maybe two or three years. In the meantime, it hurts me considerably if I have to deal with more than a dozen or so dwarves eating and drinking from my stockpiles.

For being an anarcho-despotic-monarchy your ruler is fairly benevolent. He lets any random unskilled dwarf wander in and eat all the food they want.

As for the randomness, I wasn't really suggesting that you get to choose what skills you get, rather, you can say "I want craftsmen, I want food producers, I want builders." That sort of thing. Randomness is all fine and dandy, but I got three glassworkers in one immigration wave once, on a map with no sand.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

Yeah I don't mind random people showing up, I just prefer fewer.  Sometimes I kill them off...

What about even having an on/off type deal.  Tell him we're not ready, don't send any.  At that point you could then 'hire' dwarfs to come based on their skills.  

Want an expert bone crafter?  You pay the liason a sum in currency and he in turn pays someone to come to you and become a part of your fort.  It could be really expensive, that'd be fine with me, just so long as I can have a more controlled influx.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by palin88:
<STRONG>For being an anarcho-despotic-monarchy your ruler is fairly benevolent. He lets any random unskilled dwarf wander in and eat all the food they want.</STRONG>

Dude, have you seen how much food a random unskilled dwarf can produce all on their own?

That said, this wouldn't be a bad feature, but I think the current immigration system is largely a placeholder until more work is done on fleshing out armies and overworld population migrations and integrating them with fortress mode.

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:22:00 am »

I was thinking along the lines of that when a migrant horde arrives they all spawn at the same time (and not tinkle in over two months!  :)

Maybe even allow you to donate food/drink/clothing etc to the dwarves sent away to make them more content with the decision.

[DEMONLORD]

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:51:00 am »

Receiving dwarfs that are either unskilled or skilled in the wrong profession isn't much of a problem. Assign them to something else. In time they will become experienced <insert>.

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

I don't know why people complain about too many immigrants.  I find that the rate of immigration is far too low.  I have enough work to keep at least 30-40 dwarves busy in my current fortress, but fewer than 20 have shown up.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

The current rate of immigration is just slow enough for me to build bedrooms for the next wave while getting my other work done.

The question of immigration is a good one, and I don't think it should always be as random as it is.  Technically, you can modify the population limit whenever you like to run things as you wish.  But there should be an in-game way to accomplish the same goals.

Some should be random.. refugees from nearby war would make sense.  The idea of asking for more through the diplomat is a good one.  Maybe when the game is more advanced, and we can pass laws and such, the dwarves can start deporting people and causing unhappy thoughts.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

This is something than should be added immediately! I hate closing all these immigrants on starvation chambers  :(  

Maybe if I mod the raws to make dwarves BUTCHERABLE? Hmmm....   :D

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

Fikod Ducimokon cancels Plant Seeds: Interrupted by Border Jumper.

[ November 14, 2007: Message edited by: JustOnePixel ]

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JustOnePixel:
<STRONG>Fikod Ducimokon cancels Plant Seeds: Interrupted by Border Jumper.</STRONG>

*DIES*