Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 298358 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #990 on: October 18, 2009, 04:26:54 pm »

i the ascii graphics. the only problem i have with the game graphics-wise is that the tiles aren't square by default.
Very good point.  I know there's plenty of people out there who play with ASCII, but is there anyone who doesn't switch to a square tileset as soon as possible?  The rectangular default is awful

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 18, 2009, 04:35:48 pm »

I can't play with beardless dwarves, so I use the rectangular tiles.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 18, 2009, 04:52:56 pm »

It's pretty trivial to add a tiny pixel beard to that one tile, if that's actually stopping you.

I really don't like rectangular tilesets either. I understand they probably have their roots in the old, old curses DF or something like that, but goddamn, I don't expect all my angles and lengths to be skewed like that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 21, 2009, 04:21:52 am »

I like hearing about his cat, it interests me. Now that we've established that there is at least one person who enjoys hearing about Scamps you can stop making the argument or at the very least lose the hostility.

No because I don't have fucking Aspergers and I have more than enough social skills to tell that Today has a very dedicated fanbase and that a subset of that fanbase does in fact praise everything he says and does. I've spoken to RUSSELL CROWE himself about this very subject, he's a down to earth sort of bloke, he knows that fame is immaterial and that praise from strangers is worthless unless it has objective value, for example appraisal of Crowe's acting skill or Toady's game development ability. It means nothing to praise the nature or lifestyle of a stranger, if you do know know them personally how can you truly come to understand who they are? Your perverse interest in Toady's cat is not only worthless but exploitative, when celebrities appeal to such interests they debase both themselves and their works. This game has made Toady famous and I think he'd be far more happy being game development's Russell Crowe than game development's Paris Hilton.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 21, 2009, 04:27:31 am »

You want him to be Russell Crowe? The biggest tool in showbiz? Why the hell would anyone want that?

Also, congratulations for managing to whine and big note yourself by your magnificent association with RUSSELL CROWE OMG at the same time. Truly an accomplishment.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 21, 2009, 04:32:28 am »

Are you aware that we have a DF Talk feedback thread?  Cause we do.  Make sure to also tell everyone over there that they have Aspergers, in contrast to your obviously mentally healthy self.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 21, 2009, 04:53:49 am »

You want him to be Russell Crowe? The biggest tool in showbiz? Why the hell would anyone want that?

Russell Crowe doesn't care what the public thinks about anything but his acting ability, all I'm saying is that Toady should take the same attitude and want nothing more than for the DF community to bow down to his game development prowess and leave it at that. It would be both the sensible and the emotionally mature thing to do.

Also, congratulations for managing to whine and big note yourself by your magnificent association with RUSSELL CROWE OMG at the same time. Truly an accomplishment.

Russell Crowe doesn't chat with any old wanker

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 21, 2009, 05:40:14 am »

Russell Crowe doesn't chat with any old wanker
Then he won't want to talk to you! *baddum-tsh*
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 21, 2009, 05:52:05 am »

Russell Crowe doesn't care what the public thinks about anything but his acting ability, all I'm saying is that Toady should take the same attitude and want nothing more than for the DF community to bow down to his game development prowess and leave it at that. It would be both the sensible and the emotionally mature thing to do.

Congratulations, Toady doesn't give a wooden nickle if we like Scamps or not, he talks about Scamps because he likes Scamps.

Ooh, look at that, your demands were met before you even made them, remarkable!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 21, 2009, 06:18:59 am »

...blah... RUSSELL CROWE ...blah...
Whatever you say Stink Fist.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: October 21, 2009, 06:58:13 am »

Back on topic everyone! Unless Russel Crow happens to be a creature in the game I don't think this is an area of discussion that applies to the topic.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 21, 2009, 07:17:18 am »

Back on topic everyone! Unless Russel Crow happens to be a creature in the game I don't think this is an area of discussion that applies to the topic.

How many people have wrestled in adventure mode without the soundtrack from Gladiator humming through their mind?

EDIT: Ohh and there's a new movie coming out next year directed by Ridley Scott (the director of Gladiator) and starring Russell Crowe (the star of Gladiator). Like Gladiator it's sure to be a big budget extravaganza that everyone will see (including you) so be prepared to think of Russell Crowe whenever Dwarves shoot arrows at things.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:21:06 am by John Hopoate »

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 21, 2009, 07:33:10 am »

[CREATURE:RUSSELL_CROWE]
[UTTERANCES]
[ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
[CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER]
[liKES_FIGHTING]
[MALE]
[NOTHOUGHT]
[SAVAGE]

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:27 am »

How many people have wrestled in adventure mode without the soundtrack from Gladiator humming through their mind?

EDIT: Ohh and there's a new movie coming out next year directed by Ridley Scott (the director of Gladiator) and starring Russell Crowe (the star of Gladiator). Like Gladiator it's sure to be a big budget extravaganza that everyone will see (including you) so be prepared to think of Russell Crowe whenever Dwarves shoot arrows at things.

Lol. Goons.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

dnabios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 21, 2009, 10:45:55 pm »

But if I could get back to the OP for a moment...

I guess the biggest problem I have right now is the large amount of processing power it takes to handle busy-work in a mature fortress.  My FPS can drop from the 900's to the 40's with the same video settings when you take the 100 dwarf minimum to "obtain the current game features" (which I think are mainly nobles) and the economy hits.  When every dwarf scampers back and forth grabbing a single coin it's a pathfinding nightmare on top of an already burdened system.  This is the biggest personal barrier I'm having.  I usually abandon at that point.

As far as new users go I can see how the learning curve would be a little steep...an in game tutorial (as has been suggested)would take care of all of this in an instant...even if it's just:  "Hit d twice to dig.  Hit < and > to navigate Z levels.  Hit B to build."  The rest seems to follow logically.

Other than that, it seems like Mr. Adams has his finger on the pulse of what needs work.  The underground followed by sieges seems like an excellent development path.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 136