Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 445831 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2014, 06:26:48 am »

How old is your world?

Pretty young, 150 years tops.
Maybe her mother was pregnant upon worldgen?

Probably destined to be a demigod adventurer...

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2014, 12:10:41 pm »

On a similar note to the weasel corpse, I present my trivial finding for the day:

Water buffalo bulls are TOUGH sons of bitches. I'm considering adding the [TRAINABLE] tag to them and training some war buffalo because holy crap.
I have a legendary marksdwarf in the first year; a water buffalo bull has been lying unconscious by the riverside for months now, and my hunter runs up to it, fires all his wooden bolts, and then runs back for more. It has a pulverised skull, but it's no worse than bruised anywhere else. Also, two dogs have been attacking it for three seasons. None of their attacks (hunter included) seem to do more than tear the fat.

Also interesting is that the dogs and the water buffalo are all now "enormous with gigantic muscles," compared to my other dogs which are mostly described as weak or fat, meaning that live training for your war animals could be a thing.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2014, 05:16:00 pm »

I really do need to get wimpier fortress guard - I was hoping you'd beat up the bad guys, not some innocent farmer who had jack shit to do with not making that one bracelet on time!

Anyway, findings:

The victim feels loathing after getting his ass whooped for no reason (and who wouldn't?)
The whooper of said ass felt zealous when it was clobberin' time.  (the word was the same color that interest is, if that means anything?)
The mayor is disgusted at the "criminal" not getting jail time, as if possibly being crippled for life wasn't bad enough.  And then she has the balls to send out another mandate!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »

I really do need to get wimpier fortress guard - I was hoping you'd beat up the bad guys, not some innocent farmer who had jack shit to do with not making that one bracelet on time!

Anyway, findings:

The victim feels loathing after getting his ass whooped for no reason (and who wouldn't?)
The whooper of said ass felt zealous when it was clobberin' time.  (the word was the same color that interest is, if that means anything?)
The mayor is disgusted at the "criminal" not getting jail time, as if possibly being crippled for life wasn't bad enough.  And then she has the balls to send out another mandate!
Dwarven justice at its finest, of course what "bad guys" means is rather subjective...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2014, 06:41:35 pm »

If you have justice tethers set up (I have rather cushy gold decorated ropes and chains set up for dwarven "criminals", complete with beds, and a private well) then they feel guilty about what they did.... Even if they're not the dorf who should have been in control of making coffins for the mandate. Interesting your farmer didn't feel guilty.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2014, 11:10:40 pm »

On a similar note to the weasel corpse, I present my trivial finding for the day:

Water buffalo bulls are TOUGH sons of bitches. I'm considering adding the [TRAINABLE] tag to them and training some war buffalo because holy crap.
I have a legendary marksdwarf in the first year; a water buffalo bull has been lying unconscious by the riverside for months now, and my hunter runs up to it, fires all his wooden bolts, and then runs back for more. It has a pulverised skull, but it's no worse than bruised anywhere else. Also, two dogs have been attacking it for three seasons. None of their attacks (hunter included) seem to do more than tear the fat.

Also interesting is that the dogs and the water buffalo are all now "enormous with gigantic muscles," compared to my other dogs which are mostly described as weak or fat, meaning that live training for your war animals could be a thing.

You should see undead water buffaloes. They can gore through iron armor and can gore someone so hard they get knocked back tiles while having their head collapse and still quick enough to do it to someone else with their other horn at almost the same time. They're also occasionally big enough to break draw bridges.

Or as I currently have an undead water buffalo wielding a two handed sword with its rear leg.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2014, 11:41:50 pm »

I haven't had to deal with undead water buffalo, because I butchered mine immediately on the last reanimating embark I did, but unfortunately my butcher had to deal with a reanimated water buffalo skin before he could get behind the cage traps. There was a lot of blood.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2014, 06:51:09 pm »

And that, ladies and gents, is why I don't really want to embark in evil biomes.  The dead-animal-parts industry is too important to my playstyle.

Also, I think that maybe floodgates might be useful in saving FPS?  I was having curiously good FPS and realized I hadn't opened them up.  Opened two of them...bam, at least 20-30 FPS lost.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2014, 08:29:34 pm »

Smoke inhalation is a thing. I recently lost a dragon (admittedly in Masterwork, where they require sleep,) to the smoke caused by the burning trees around her. She was otherwise uninjured save a bruise on her tail and upper left leg, and wiped out an ambush that interrupted her nap time. After they were all dead, she went to sleep and promptly choked to death next to a smoke-billowing cedar.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2014, 11:33:10 pm »

Smoke inhalation is a thing.

Must. Weaponize. Just think: A whole new type of trap is within our grasp.

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:57 am »

Chemical warfare? Awesome.

Might want to restrict it's use in eugenics programs though. ;D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2014, 09:01:41 am »

The problem is that the smoke needs a constant source that takes a long time to be destroyed by the heat and the unit needs to be unable to path out (surrounded by tons of smoke and obstructions like ponds or a river,) or unconscious and ina spot where the smoke won't give them an instant of breathing room. Eventually they become winded, and then expire.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2014, 03:42:19 pm »

I just got a titan that lives in an evil biome.  It has a few differences from regular titans.  For one, instead of describing its demeanor, it says it "undulates rhythmically" the way it would for a forgotten beast or demon.  Second, it's associated with treachery, the way good-biome titans are identified with stuff like peace or charity (speak of the devil, I've got a hill titan in the Joyous Wilds biome I'm eyeing.  Hopefully I'll be able to not bother it.)  In a sense, it's presented almost like a FB that walks the surface.

Also saw more dwarves that were jolly from eating at a crowded table.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2014, 04:50:13 pm »

Also saw more dwarves that were jolly from eating at a crowded table.

Which version? Doesn't happen in my fort (rearranged tables to enforce sharing), ppl just are annoyed by it.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2014, 05:30:50 pm »

This is 40.19.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with personality.

My blacksmith "has a tendency toward forming deep emotional bonds with others" and "enjoys the company of others".

My other blacksmith also enjoys the company of others, as does the gemcutter in whom this was first observed.

Pick out your more gregarious dwarves and keep an eye on them.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 148