Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 445820 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1455 on: March 23, 2019, 08:13:00 pm »

It is possible to build a door when there are walls on all 4 sides. But if there is an item on the ground, the dwarf will suspend the job claiming there's no path.
And thus was the dwarven revolving door invented.

Although it does mention that butchering things like elk-birds can yield a renewable source of them.
Notably, it lists crocs and gators as yielding gizzard stones. Engineer a crocsplosion, and you could have a very nice source of decorating supplies... and think of the training bolts!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: March 23, 2019, 08:25:39 pm »

It is possible to build a door when there are walls on all 4 sides. But if there is an item on the ground, the dwarf will suspend the job claiming there's no path.
I have a bunch of Quickfort blueprints on my computer that I made myself, and they all rely on diagonal doorways. It's something to do with minimizing the distance that my dwarves have to walk, but I don't know if that actually works.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:38:02 pm by methylatedspirit »

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: March 25, 2019, 04:43:16 am »

Oh, wow, you people are right, maybe they came inside other animals, not birds. That would explain why no more chickens or turkeys gave me platinum.

Or maybe the whole platinum stones thing it's just a bug, and [pun] that's why the birds ate it [/pun] bdm - tsssss.

Hope I can edit this pist later when I regret the terrible joke.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: March 25, 2019, 11:50:53 pm »

Strange I just found a fungiwood tree inside the stone.  There is no opening into the small space, before the miner uncovered it while following a gold vein.

AngryAboutElves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: March 26, 2019, 11:20:00 am »

I went through the list of goblin(/HFS) literature in a world I generated some time ago and I found out that some goblin literature can be really depressing.

I wish I made a screenshot of it, but there was a particular masterwork produced in a dark pit called After the Trenches, written in a rather sad tone, which was probably written by the Goblin counterpart of John McCrae or Erich Maria Remarque.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: March 26, 2019, 10:00:51 pm »

While assigning a weapon to one of my dwarves, I saw this:

What do they mean by foreign?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: March 26, 2019, 10:13:40 pm »

While assigning a weapon to one of my dwarves, I saw this:

What do they mean by foreign?

I think because picks are not listed somewhere in the dwarf civ entity raws as permitted weapons, picks are considered foreign, meaning that no auto-generated military dwarves from that civ type (such as merchant guards) can spawn wielding picks. This also means that your fortress mode game will treat picks as weapons from another civilization, same as whips that you loot off goblin invaders, despite you being able to craft them yourself.

This is largely a guess, though, so take this with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:16:44 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: March 27, 2019, 05:38:08 am »

This also means that your fortress mode game will treat picks as weapons from another civilization, same as whips that you loot off goblin invaders, despite you being able to craft them yourself.
I'm not sure if that actually amounts to anything. Maybe that they don't appear as weapon categories for squad equipment? (I don't have DF installed to double check if whips show up there. I know picks don't.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:47:57 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: March 27, 2019, 03:53:30 pm »

Regarding picks, note the Skills wiki page. Mining is a non-military skill, but it does govern how well a pick is used as a weapon (wood cutters unfortunately use their Axeman skill if they need to attack or defend with their axe). So, a legendary miner will block or attack excellently with their mining pick, and an ex-miner can start their military career with legendary skill with their weapon.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: March 27, 2019, 07:24:26 pm »

I found a quarter on the floor today. It's trivial, but also, I found it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: March 28, 2019, 08:16:50 am »

Do we need a "Trivial things you found today" thread for General Discussion now, too? :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: March 28, 2019, 06:00:05 pm »

Do we need a "Trivial things you found today" thread for General Discussion now, too? :P
Why not? "Small, yet interesting things I found out today" sounds like an interesting thread.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: March 28, 2019, 10:05:39 pm »

Cannot expel:
Child is
not present

Can't expel a dwarf striken by melancholy, because his children are not here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: March 28, 2019, 10:20:04 pm »

Cannot expel:
Child is
not present

Can't expel a dwarf striken by melancholy, because his children are not here.
Yup. An unfortunate bug caused by the game checking to see if a baby is being carried by a parent on a mission. Bug causes it to check the whole world for existing spouse/children.

This is really annoying when a guy turns up who is stressing about his kidnapped children. Stress from being away from family combined with inability to expel. Not good. Toady's acknowledged the bug though, should be blasted when the bug fixing starts up again.

Most annoying was trying to banish a stressed Monster Hunter visitor. Cannot expel, spouse not present. Well, yeah. Urgh.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: March 31, 2019, 12:45:12 am »

I've never really tried to work with magma before, so I was fascinated when I saw this:

while filling my magma pool to power my magma workshops.

In more !!FUN!! news, bridges used to contain magma will deconstruct if the mechanism attached to it melts.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 148