Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 445820 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2025 on: September 05, 2021, 04:15:22 am »

Citizens address their artifact as "you", when creating them.

I did not know this.

(goblin leather quiver, decorated with goblin leather images, and menacing with spikes of goblin bone)

SamJF

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: September 05, 2021, 07:37:02 pm »

I knew dwarf kids play with the fort's toys, but I didn't know they also get thoughts for it.
"I must pray to Armok. I'm uneasy."

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2027 on: September 06, 2021, 03:48:49 pm »

I knew dwarf kids play with the fort's toys, but I didn't know they also get thoughts for it.

Wait, if these memories are stored in long-term memory (I am not sure they do, iirc it’s restricted to certain types of memories), then Dwarf Fortress simulates childhood nostalgia.

SamJF

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 07, 2021, 09:40:37 am »

Wait, if these memories are stored in long-term memory (I am not sure they do, iirc it’s restricted to certain types of memories), then Dwarf Fortress simulates childhood nostalgia.

I think they're just short term, but I'll keep an eye out, heh.

Update: I found this on my tavern performer's seasonal log!

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

How endearing.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:40:47 am by SamJF »
"I must pray to Armok. I'm uneasy."

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: September 10, 2021, 11:16:51 pm »

How hard would it be to make dragons literate?  Why can't dragons read anyway?  They're sapient creatures, aren't they?

They wouldnt use it without being necromancers of some sort, some natural skill towards reading technically makes them literate but being part of a civ in fortress mode makes them interested at all in reading books.
Tell me dragon necromancers wouldn't be awesome.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 11, 2021, 01:53:18 am »

I was reverse engineering DF code and found a function that takes a longitude and returns a time. Looks like time zones exist in DF.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 03:46:11 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 11, 2021, 08:11:01 am »

I was reverse engineering DF code and found a function that takes a longitude and returns a time. Looks like time zones exist in DF.
How much difference is there from one side of the world to the other? Does it vary with different world sizes?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 11, 2021, 09:14:23 pm »

How much difference is there from one side of the world to the other? Does it vary with different world sizes?

Code looks something like this:
Code: [Select]
int32_t getLocalTime(int16_t region_x)
{
int32_t world_width = world->world_data->world_width;

if (gametype == DWARF_ARENA || gametype == ADVENTURER_ARENA)
return world->arena_settings->time;
else
return ( (region_x - world_width/2 + cur_year_tick%10 + cur_season_tick*10 + 1200) % 1200 )*2
}

So it looks like it differs by (world_width - 1)*2 (in whatever unit it's returning) from one side of the world to the other (if my math is correct.)

Since the value ranges from 0 to 2398, I suspect each value is 1/100th of an hour. Therefore, for the available world widths:
Code: [Select]
Pocket (17): 0.32 hours
Smaller (33): 0.64 hours
Small (65): 1.28 hours
Medium (129): 2.56 hours
Large (257): 5.12 hours
The earth would be width 1200, or 4.67 times a large world width. I'll have to see if that lines up with what's known about DF world sizes.
(Edit: That's nearly 18 times larger than a large world is estimated by DF physics to be. I guess DF days might be 18 times shorter than ours.)

I know this is used in temperature calculations, at least. Someone will have to test in adventure mode if it affects the position of the sun.
Edit: Looks like it's checked in "Sleep until dawn", so the sun is definitely affected.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:13:02 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 12, 2021, 12:04:26 pm »

If it does, then the DF world is at a much closer orbit than Earth would be

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: September 12, 2021, 02:10:17 pm »

After years of playing DF, I finally figured out that the dwarves will put away their owned items if you build them cabinets. I had always just built chests in every bedroom, and cursed the dwarves for their slovenly housekeeping practices. But in recent games I have discovered that building a cabinet in each bedroom is actually necessary for the dwarves to put away their owned items. The wiki does not make this very clear, FWIW.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: September 12, 2021, 03:03:22 pm »

After years of playing DF, I finally figured out that the dwarves will put away their owned items if you build them cabinets. I had always just built chests in every bedroom, and cursed the dwarves for their slovenly housekeeping practices. But in recent games I have discovered that building a cabinet in each bedroom is actually necessary for the dwarves to put away their owned items. The wiki does not make this very clear, FWIW.

That got me too for a while.  I've never seen dwarves use chests at all other than for the hospital and tavern storage items.  Strange how nobles still want them in their rooms.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: September 12, 2021, 03:35:32 pm »

Occasionally dwarves use chests to store their jewelry or claimed items of preferred material. I found out about this when I tried to find out why those last remaining few (bronze arrows) weren't being melted: a farmer had hoarded them.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 13, 2021, 10:12:06 am »

huh i Always build both. But for what ist the chest?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: September 13, 2021, 07:13:56 pm »

No, just spinning on its axis faster. Jupiter has the shortest in our solar system, with a 10 earth-hour day. DF planet has a 1⅓ earth-hour day.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:23:54 pm by Bumber »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: September 13, 2021, 07:59:17 pm »

No, just spinning on its axis faster. Jupiter has the shortest in our solar system, with a 10 earth-hour day. DF planet has a 1⅓ earth-hour day.
Actually she's right, if the day is 1/18th the length of Earth's and there are 336 days in a DF year, then the DF year is about 5.1% as long as Earth's. Which is a much shorter and thus closer orbit.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 148