Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Project Showcase  (Read 11283 times)

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
The Project Showcase
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:58:50 pm »

Do you have any projects that you want people to see and judge?Did you have no luck so far in getting interest in a project?Want to start a new project and don't know what to do?Do you think you didn't get enough people to see your work?Want help with something you are making/made?Got any tutorials or guides for begginers?Got a topic for people to see?
Or do you want to help somebody that didn't get enough attention or interest in something he/she did?
This is the thread for exactly that.

I will constantly update this thread with projects submitted from you,B12-ers so other people can check them out.
So if you were shy or thought your project didn't really need a whole topic just for it,you can always post it here to get feedback for it.
I hope this will help some people that got no chance to show what they were good at or just show what they made in general.

RULES BEFORE POSTING
1.Please make a short description of the project that describes what it is about.Example:This is a old game that I made.It is about farming.
2.Please explain who made the project.Example:This was made by someone called "Toadyone".The projects name is called Dwarf Fortress.
3.Please be decent about posting:the project itself and your feedback on projects.Please do not say other people's projects suck and are bad for no reason.If you can't give good criticism,DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.
4.Please do not claim anything that isn't yours.Stealing someones else's work is really mean.
5.Please do not try to act important.Everyone has their own chances.No matter how bad the project is.
6.Don't submit too many posts from one user.This is not a showcase for just 1 person,it is for everyone that wants feedback.
7.Please do not troll others or compare the work with something else.It is really rude.
8.Please give everyone a fair chance.If you don't like something/someone that does not give you the right to ignore somebody completely.
9.Do not trick others.Programs that have viruses or are worms intended to steal information are not allowed.They are also not legal.
10.DO NOT use any download site's that will give you money for the download.THIS IS NOT WHAT THE TOPIC IS MADE FOR.
11.The last but not the least important rule is to have fun.

THE SHOWCASE

---Stronghammer's novella with a free audio book and ebook on release date
"I wrote a novella, inspired by Dwarf Fortress and am continuing to work on it by editing and adding more to it. I also have other projects for it like an audio book. It is called The Founding of a Home. It is were a group of dwarves are sent off to start a new mountain home for the glory of dwarven kind. The group must fight through internal strife, hordes of monsters to reach their goal. I hope you guys like it.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117571.msg3912482#new

It is now starting book two and the next step of the journey."-Stronghammer
Stronghammer's profile

---Levi's RPG Maker Project
"Alright, so I bought RPG Maker VX Ace during the steam sale, and have been having fun writing an RPG.  I haven't done any tile work or anything, so its pretty much all done with the base resources.  I also haven't added a lot of polish.  I plan on redoing quite a bit of the maps and dialog, but that is for later.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To install, install the runtime files, then you can play the game:

RPG Maker Runtime Files
BattleSchool 

After installing, double click on game.exe to run it. 

Or you can use the all in one version here, but its somewhat large unfortunately: http://files.woodsc.ca/BattleSchoolBig.exe

You can use the controller or the keyboard.  The space key is the action button.  It doesn't get to a point with combat yet, so its pretty much just story bits.  After you enter the castle, there is nowhere else to go, so explore that area and you are done.

The only thing that might be confusing is that when you are outside the castle, you have to use the campfire to continue the story.  Its not explicitly stated anywhere yet. " -Levi

Levi's Profile

---Proffesorlamp's video game sounds/audio website/service for developers
"I've finally properly started my video game music services, it took me about a gajillion hours but I've finished my website;

http://kaboomaudio.webs.com/

I'm no computer whiz so making that was a painful and long process but I'm glad it's over now and I can get back to writing."-Proffesorlamp

Professorlamp's Profile
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:21:56 am by TheZoomZoll »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: The Project Showcase
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »

Alright, so I bought RPG Maker VX Ace during the steam sale, and have been having fun writing an RPG.  I haven't done any tile work or anything, so its pretty much all done with the base resources.  I also haven't added a lot of polish.  I plan on redoing quite a bit of the maps and dialog, but that is for later.

To install, install the runtime files, then you can play the game:

RPG Maker Runtime Files
BattleSchool 

After installing, double click on game.exe to run it. 

Or you can use the all in one version here, but its somewhat large unfortunately: http://files.woodsc.ca/BattleSchoolBig.exe

You can use the controller or the keyboard.  The space key is the action button.  It doesn't get to a point with combat yet, so its pretty much just story bits.  After you enter the castle, there is nowhere else to go, so explore that area and you are done.

The only thing that might be confusing is that when you are outside the castle, you have to use the campfire to continue the story.  Its not explicitly stated anywhere yet. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:16:35 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:30:01 pm »

I wrote a novella, inspired by Dwarf Fortress and am continuing to work on it by editing and adding more to it. I also have other projects for it like an audio book. It is called The Founding of a Home. It is were a group of dwarves are sent off to start a new mountain home for the glory of dwarven kind. The group must fight through internal strife, hordes of monsters to reach their goal. I hope you guys like it.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117571.msg3912482#new

It is now starting book two and the next step of the journey.
p.s. I hope I am able to post this here.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:20:38 am »

Added both of you to the showcase.Hopefully you start getting some feedback soon.

Stronghammers novella is great.He even wants to make a free e-book and audio book.

Levi's game I am currently checking out.No viruses,so skeptics can scan it for themselves if they don't believe me.
Note:You might need a RPGMaker-player to use it.Hopefully in the future you can work it so it doesn't require RPGMaker.
Here is a link to the RPG maker if anyone wants to check it out too.There is a free trial version.
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/rpg-maker-vx-ace

Edit:Levi,would you like me to post a video or picture lets play here on B12?I have lots of free time and I am loving the soundtrack and art-style already.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:56:59 am by TheZoomZoll »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:41:48 am »

Edit:Levi,would you like me to post a video or picture lets play here on B12?I have lots of free time and I am loving the soundtrack and art-style already.

Oh, haha feel free if you like.  The music and art are all included in the RPG Maker package, so none of that was made by me.   :P

Note:You might need a RPGMaker-player to use it.Hopefully in the future you can work it so it doesn't require RPGMaker.
Here is a link to the RPG maker if anyone wants to check it out too.There is a free trial version.
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/rpg-maker-vx-ace

Ah, sorry!  I didn't realize it needed RPG maker.  I'll see if I can figure out how to get it not to require it.

Edit:  Okay, I changed my original post with the details. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:18:00 pm by Levi »

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:51:10 am »

I've finally properly started my video game music services, it took me about a gajillion hours but I've finished my website;

i'm no computer whiz so making that was a painful and long process but I'm glad it's over now and I can get back to writing. w00t w00t
I write music for video games!
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:25:25 pm »

I've finally properly started my video game music services, it took me about a gajillion hours but I've finished my website;

i'm no computer whiz so making that was a painful and long process but I'm glad it's over now and I can get back to writing. w00t w00t

Thank you for your submission.Adding.

Edit:  Okay, I changed my original post with the details. 
Updated.
About the lets play I will delay it for tomorrow.Busy working on something.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:02 am »

PTW
Me gusta.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:51 pm »

PTW, and probably add something in a week or so
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »

The time has come.But until then I would like to remind you that you can post other people's projects as well.

Anyway....I have finally found the right time to play
The game starts with our hero amazing soldier guy on the streets.
We are approached by an old lady and later a man only to realize something horrible.
We are a peasant.A beggar.A FILTHY MAN.
Now you might guess that the old lady will give us some money,no?WELL SHE WON'T AND WILL JUST LEAVE.
On the other hand..
But wait.Theres more.
After that,there was an animation of us being beaten and tossed around by the guard for no real reason.I am sure we will get to meet him again soon.He looks like a good guy.
But anyway,if you had not noticed already there was somebody hiding behind the house.Apparently somebody that knows our name.
Our hero,Brenan then explains to this Ass-ass-in anime guy that he is going to enroll in the battle school on May...Only to be told that it's not a good idea and he will probably die.I would be very encouraged and motivated,personally,after hearing that.Don't know about you guys.
When the discussion is finished,Brenan goes to sleep in his nice ditch and heads out of the Battle School training area.
Hitting rocks and trees while traversing the land there.Because,why not?
When I arrived,I talk to some of the random people that really had nothing worth mentioning to say.Except maybe the old man that said there was no age restriction for this "school"..Here's a picture of random people eating random free food because I love filler.I really do.
Oh yeah..there was also somebody that got falcon punche'd for trying to enter the school before the opening time.Hmm.
Right.Let's get to actually progressing the story,shall we?
We went to the enrolling tent to be greeted by this man that looks like my old english teacher.Maybe without the blue hair and the eyepatch.
And the curvy mustache~.
After we enroll he gives us a student ID in which we can store our credits for buying stuff in the school and tells us that our room is number 102.
Then we are told to wait until around 4.00 PM for a speech from the headmaster.Which told us "I am not good with speeches..Try not to die"
and then left us to do whatever.
Very charismatic indeed.
Everyone then proceeds to go in the school house to their assigned rooms.And I,to mine.

I am fairly sure the game ends at this part.
I could of recorded the game and made .gif's but I wanted to ask before doing so.Seeing as this game is animated and all.
Do you guys like the format?Want me to change how I narrate it?Want me to put less pictures,less text,more pictures,more text or anything of the sort?
Should I make a new category for reviews?Is it necessary?
I am open to any feedback.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 03:48:41 pm »

Hehe, thanks for that.  I liked the review format.  :)  Was a fun to read from another persons viewpoint. 

I've actually taken out the "Hitting rocks and trees while traversing the land" bit and replaced it with even more filler, and redone the maps quite a bit. 

I AM a bit worried about the pacing a bit.  There is very little actual "game" in the game so far, and I'm wonder if the intro areas just take too much time to go through.  Hmm.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 04:06:50 am »

PTW, projects are fun, and may have something to contribute in the future.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:07:19 pm »

Very nice stuff, especially your SFX and Audio. (I'm curious to hear more of your SFX, other than just the explosions on your site)
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »

Very nice stuff, especially your SFX and Audio. (I'm curious to hear more of your SFX, other than just the explosions on your site)

I've got a short Horror ambient sample that I did for a client. It's very rough around the edges as it was a quick draft

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2872916/Horror%20Sample.mp3
I write music for video games!
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:27 am »

If you want to know when theres actual activity there is something that can help you.

Don't ask why I just wanted to.

Edit:oh yeah also edited a stupid error made by me in levi's post with the links not working.
Fixed though.Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:22:33 am by TheZoomZoll »
Pages: [1] 2