Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 213718 times)

Mr. Accident

• Bay Watcher
  • No playing in the crater.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #690 on: May 28, 2010, 07:59:04 pm »

BAH! None of you have the right to complain! I just had to DO THE DISHES!!

But if you try to tell that to the young people today, they won't believe you!

(I think the quote pyramid has to end somewhere, right? :P)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 28, 2010, 08:46:12 pm »

Well, I'm sure there's some call to it.. somewhere...

Whatever. This isn't my code, and I'm not about to start making arbitrary changes for no good reason to code I don't own. Moving it, or just plain deleting it, would make sense if it were my own, but so far I haven't touched win32_compat.cpp at all.
Mostly my aim was to babble about general good practices, it helps me think.

Hmm.. it was originally written by BHelyer, wasn't it? Why don't you take it up with him instead?
I think the particular function in question was copied from a code repository.  I don't want to get started babbling about that.

..why would you even be reading code to look for optimizations? Run a profiler, and it'll tell you exactly where optimizing will do you any good. Callgrind will do nicely.
I read that because it was in the diff for .04, it is one of my bad habits to pay more attention to things that have changed than to things that are still the same.

Wow, profilers must be getting really good if they can tell you exactly where your code needs to be fixed.  Next they will be writing the code too.

Anyhow more testing with the U,M subsequent ESC sequence.  I got it to display the Military screen when doing hold U + press and hold M (released both after the Military displayed).  It happens much less often then the rapid series of presses, implying that the frequency of erases and inserts in add_input is a factor.

The only way I can see all the observed behaviors occuring is if get_input returned a set with both those keypresses.  Then the gameview's feed processes both creating the Units screen then creating the Military, both with push_at_back.  In order for that to happen the serial member for both presses must be the same; and the only way for a serial number to be reused is if clear_input is called.

Quick fix answer remove the reset of the serial counter from clear_input.
Long term, you are hunting for a threading issue.  Good luck.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 28, 2010, 10:06:45 pm »

Bug fixed: Grid sizes getting stuck on 80x25 if you let the intro movies play.

Workaround until 31.05: Turn off intro movies.

Thanks for fixing my issue :D

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 29, 2010, 12:34:48 am »

@Baughn: Would it be feasible to have a reload-the-ini-files option on the Escape menu or somewhere?

I'm not asking for interactive editing, just for a reparse.

I am exiting and restarting DF more than I like to workaround the stock menu key repeat bug and the macro repeat bug.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 29, 2010, 02:53:25 am »

Veroule: Turn on debugging mode when you compile the code, and it'll print the interfacekey sets as they are returned.. which will show you that sometimes, it goes to the wrong screen even after returning the keys separately and in the right order. ..yeah. Debugging this should be fun.

C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

RumblingNoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 29, 2010, 06:27:09 am »

Anyone else still suffering from lack of fish in rivers and ponds on many embarks?
I think i've managed to get only one embark site where there's fish,but in the rest of the 5 embark sites... There is nothing to catch anywhere.
Does the temperature of the site affect fish populations a lot? For example if you're on a hot site?
This is a forum post (text). All Craftsdwarfship is of the lowest quality. It is encrusted with typos, decorated with personal insults and (funny) pictures and encircled with flaming. It is made from text. This post menaces with dry humor and poor writing. On the post is an image of smellbad the sweaty sock in color.
On the post is a personal opinion of RumblingNoise the dwarf in black text. The dwarf is cursing. The artwork relates to the crafting of a post in 20XX.

Woof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 29, 2010, 06:35:24 am »

Anyone else still suffering from lack of fish in rivers and ponds on many embarks?
I think i've managed to get only one embark site where there's fish,but in the rest of the 5 embark sites... There is nothing to catch anywhere.
Does the temperature of the site affect fish populations a lot? For example if you're on a hot site?

I usually embark on brooks and haven't seen ANY fish, but the one time I embarked on a major river it was full of carp :)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 29, 2010, 07:54:31 am »

Hi!

I raise my hand. I am facing fishless sites all through 31.04. And I usually go for temperate to cold climates (my current site has the ponds (no brook/river) freeze from late autumn to late spring). So, it is not evaporating ponds that causes the problems for me.

Deathworks

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 29, 2010, 10:08:29 am »

Display bug I've noticed:
When hooking up a lever to something, the screen draw seems to lag behind what I've selected.

That is, when I choose to link up a bridge to the lever and the menu has auto-selected my rough microcline bridge, the screen does not jump to where the bridge is.

Then when I select the next bridge on the menu (a rough orthoclase bridge), THEN the screen jumps to the microcline bridge. Of course it's not selected, so the yellow X isn't around anywhere, and if I click OK, it's really the orthoclase bridge that will be selected.

Dark Dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 29, 2010, 11:03:29 am »

Standard mode gives me 8 FPS, 2D gives me 40 FPS. Ty for 2D mode Toady <3

armrha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 29, 2010, 11:05:32 am »

Display bug I've noticed:
When hooking up a lever to something, the screen draw seems to lag behind what I've selected.

That is, when I choose to link up a bridge to the lever and the menu has auto-selected my rough microcline bridge, the screen does not jump to where the bridge is.

Then when I select the next bridge on the menu (a rough orthoclase bridge), THEN the screen jumps to the microcline bridge. Of course it's not selected, so the yellow X isn't around anywhere, and if I click OK, it's really the orthoclase bridge that will be selected.

Known bug. Also mentioned at least four times in the thread too, but nobody reads the thread or uses search anyway...

Mantis Link: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1915

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 29, 2010, 11:38:24 am »

Well, if there was any (apparent) basic pre-release fortress testing, further than the cursory "the arena loads!" then these obvious bugs wouldn't get reported over and over. Bridges are obviously broken, smelting is obviously broken, temperature is obviously broken, military is obviously broken, hospitals are... But anyway, you can't expect to go for un-polished releases and be surprised when the same bugs keep getting found and reported by everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care - this is how Toady chooses to go about his work, plus it's inspiring me to learn Python to write this sort of game, partially so I can get an inkling as to why fixing this stuff is so complicated and time consuming.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 29, 2010, 12:15:53 pm »

Known bug. Also mentioned at least four times in the thread too, but nobody reads the thread or uses search anyway...

Mantis Link: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1915
1. I'm not going to filter through 47 pages of coding arguments and Monty Python gags.
2. Maybe I should have used search, but search works so crappily on bboards that I rarely bother.
3. You want to make things easier for people to report bugs.
    A. So, letting them post bugs in the thread where it says they should report bugs is good.
    B. Also, not givin' them no guff about duplicate reports is also good.

Thanks for your help in ensuring a quality product. HAND.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 29, 2010, 01:24:25 pm »

Sent an email with changes that should fix the multiple screen problem.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 29, 2010, 01:59:42 pm »

It might also be helpful if the first post were updated with 'known issues' as they get reported.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 55