Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 445275 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2850 on: August 07, 2013, 02:20:16 pm »

Question one: It is more than possible to vassalize an enemy with a lower warscore, depending on the value of thier provinces that you occupy and the nations overall size. I vassalized Scotland in such a way in my current game. For France, try and target high value provinces and thier capital province if you want them as a vassal. It may take more than one war to manage this as large nations have an impossible requirement for vassalization.

Question two: If you have a large tax income (and if you are England with 2 annexations and a vassal, you wil), the cash you generate through trade will probably be less than your tax income by some way. Trade is vital if you are a small nation to boost your economy, especially if you can have your sliders skewed to Free Trade and Plutocracy and take advantage of trade leauges.. As a large nation you might be better off building your own CoT if possible and skewing to Mercantilism.

Question three: Not noticed that myself sorry.
This is a blank sig.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:43 pm »

As a rule of thumb, if its a large nation, you want to PU it, not vassalize it. If you got that mission while france was still whole you should definitely cancel it and get a better one (unless you want the free CB).

IDK if the sieze paris mission is still in, you should check, its awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 07, 2013, 03:05:54 pm »

One thing I try to do as a trading power (Oman, Portugal, Holland, Ceylon, Whatever) is to take high-trade provinces, like ones with Spice or Sugar or Silk or Slaves, as outposts.

So I have a streeeetched out empire, with a homestate, and merchants in all the ports I can find.

I know the merchants everywhere is a good deal, but does having those high-trade provinces actually HELP, HURT, or DO NOTHING as a free-trade plutocratic trading state?

I'm not talking about having outposts all over the world so that I can get my fingers in the different CoTs. I mean that's fairly obvious. I mean just having those high-trade-value provinces and forgoing the grain and other low-trade provinces, even if having the province doesn't get me closer to a new CoT. Like having 15 different Spice provinces in India, clumped together or there-abouts.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 07, 2013, 03:14:02 pm »

I find trade to be amazingly profitable. Once you get the "idea" that allows you to have higher compete chance, you can start reliably fielding merchants everywhere. As you move your sliders to free trade and plutocracy, you can have 5 merchants in just about every market you can. Doesn't work well for large countries, as eventually everyone starts wanting you dead and blocks you from trading.

As for having valuable commodities, I am convinced that they give you higher income, but have no solid evidence. Also, if you control the majority of spices, if they all trade with the same CoT, that CoT will probably be able to give the spice bonus to whoever trades with it. Useful if you have your own CoT, but trade leagues can ask you to exclusively send your spices to them. But past that I don't know.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 07, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »

I suppose a way to test that would be to go to war with a country, and save before the peace. Check out your income before the war, and compare it after A) Taking a spice/silk/high-trade province, and B) reloading the save and instead taking a grain/low-trade province. See what, if any, difference to trade or other income is to be found there.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 07, 2013, 03:39:58 pm »

Ok, I looked through the code and found what might be a way to manually add in the personal union that just doesn't seem to want to form. Does anyone have experience with editing the savegame? There is a list of all my "events" with other nations. My personal union with burgundy is there too. Would copy and pasting that and replacing burgundy with Bohemia give me a personal union with bohemia?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 08, 2013, 02:17:30 am »

As a rule of thumb, if its a large nation, you want to PU it, not vassalize it. If you got that mission while france was still whole you should definitely cancel it and get a better one (unless you want the free CB).

IDK if the sieze paris mission is still in, you should check, its awesome.
It's still in. Just cancel the vassalize mission while at war with France but before you've occupied Paris.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 08, 2013, 04:56:18 am »

The occupy Paris mission is indeed crazy good.

...goddamnit, another 4 AM post.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: August 08, 2013, 05:39:13 am »

(late to party)

Trade is ridiculously profitable, to a point where you get 500 gold annually without getting anything from the treasury. Just pay attention and don't let anyone kick you out of the trading centre.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 08, 2013, 12:52:14 pm »

Trade is, but are trading provinces worth grabbing in and of themselves? D:

I only got one person to answer my actual question, and he didn't really know but just thought they were like I do. :I

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: August 08, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »

Yes, you do want centers of trade, they are awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 08, 2013, 03:38:21 pm »

Goddamnit, man.

Who said anything about centers of trade!?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: August 08, 2013, 04:33:00 pm »

As far as I know, your provinces will always trade in your CoT if you have one. So getting high-trade provinces will increase the value of your CoT.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: August 08, 2013, 04:34:57 pm »

As small nation, favor Free Trade and Plutocracy for a large income.

This is so powerful that, as a house rule, I never use it - no foreign merchants in my countries, ever.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: August 08, 2013, 04:48:23 pm »

I know the merchants everywhere is a good deal, but does having those high-trade provinces actually HELP, HURT, or DO NOTHING as a free-trade plutocratic trading state?
Fairly sure it does nothing to affect your trade income unless: 1) you taking the province changes that province's CoT to one where you have more control or 2) you subsequently build improvements that boost its trade value.

But those high trade value provinces also give you tons of juicy production income, so yes of course it helps to take them...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:59:28 pm by TripJack »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 194