Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Too many animal men!  (Read 13933 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Too many animal men!
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 05:23:12 pm »

If we're going to fuss over names, I think it would be cool to (out of a small enough pool of animalmen present at your site, so you only ever see like 0-3 different types) give each local animalman type a unique random species name.  Whether they're in a tribe or not.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 06:02:54 pm »

Yes. My two cents follows. Actual suggestions in bold. Spoilered because it's long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just assumed that's what he was going for, but that he just hasn't gotten around to making Forest Retreats and Spirits work that way yet.
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:44 pm »

There are 2-different kinds of lovebird men. Why not just combine them?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 03:31:37 am »

The problem with simply combining lesser known animals is that it's all a matter of familiarity. Different people will be familiar with different animals. For me here in the UK it makes good sense to keep hare and rabbit men separate as they are different enough but people from wildly different climates might want to see them combined.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 05:15:56 pm »

It would make more sense if only several animals were made into animal-people at world creation, rather than to have every beast have it's own intelligent version.
I feel it makes it very illogical for there to be only one type of men, dwarves, goblins, kobolds and elves.
A system similar to how the syndrome based night creatures are handled would make me happier.

Loved to see the snail/slugmen specifically in swamps though.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 09:42:50 pm »

The problem with simply combining lesser known animals is that it's all a matter of familiarity. Different people will be familiar with different animals. For me here in the UK it makes good sense to keep hare and rabbit men separate as they are different enough but people from wildly different climates might want to see them combined.

Both subspecies of lovebird though, it's a bit too specific to have a man version of each.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 03:54:38 pm »

It matters a lot if you consider them to be like star-bellied sneeches and those without.  Superficial, but it can matter a LOT, especially for roleplaying.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 08:06:36 pm »

what I don't like about animal men is all the redundancies present. like HugoLuman said, they all fill the same niche and are mostly identical.

This comes across as a startling difference to the animal men left over from the earlier versions of dwarf fortress. Each one presented a different challenge, and for the most part, had a unique ability - bat men ambushers use flying to path to your dwarves, frog men ambushers use swimming to path to your dwarves, snake men ambushers have a poisonous bite, ant men have a dangerous warrior caste..

compared to that all these new animal men are the same kinda thing, just different variations on 'person with the head and arms of a [blank]' that flit about occasionally spooking your hunters and beekeepers.

if they don't have traits that differentiate them from eachother in significant ways (like the cave animal men are supposed to) then there's little reason for there to be SO MANY OF THEM. The worst part is the atmosphere it gives off, these things having no real difference besides minor aesthetic leaves a bad taste considering they're mostly there because people paid for them to be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 09:12:32 pm »

On the plus side, the animal men can make great practice for soldiers. And since they're sentients killing them should slowly wear down thier suseptibility to tantrums; I did so using captured thirpmen. WOrked out great, the soldiers were the only ones not flipping shit

I agree some are redundant, and should simply be labeled birdmen, while others have some strange quirks (Badgermen get thier prone to rage, which makes for great gladiators while moosemen like to strangle cavies)

Now, if you could induct these ordes into the fortress as workers/warriors upon capture then they'd all have a place, and it'd encourage capturing them. I'd love an army of flying eaglemen jabbing marksgobs in the face while my dwarves beat down the trolls. Seems this thread overall does have some rather nice suggestions regardless....

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 02:15:26 am »

The real problem is that the entries for the recent animal men and giant animal additions simply copies the FREQUENCY of the original animal entry, which is usually either 100 (and thus that animal will constantly spawn in that biome) or is left out and therefore defaults to 50. Compare this to Tigermen, who retain their original entry and therefore have a seperate frequency setting of 5. To fix it, you can add [FREQUENCY:5] to each animal man/giant animal entry or simply change the original's Frequency or even simply their related biome. An animal like the Dingo, which lacks a Frequency entry and therefore has the default 50, has NOT_FREEZING as its biome. A bunch of these new animals do as a matter of fact. So simply changing NOT_FREEZING to a more limited biome will have a big impact.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »

I like the current level of diversity in DF with respect to animal men. However, I think the game should pick the animal men species randomly from a list during worldgen, so one world may have a lot of frogmen but another has brown recluse spidermen and so on. The number of these animal men is also procedurally generated (there may be more batmen than peregrine falcon men, for example). No more are generated from this number; rather, they will breed and reproduce like other civilised races. Perhaps new species of animal men could be generated at random intervals in the coming years, which are then to be discovered by civilisations as time goes on. This would reach a cap, so you will eventually reach that age of fairytales and so on.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:36:10 pm by Owlbread »

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2012, 07:33:05 pm »

I agree.  Please reduce the frequency of animal men/women in the new version.

It also is a PITA if you have a dedicated hunter at embark.  I want my hunter hunting animals for meat, not ignoring animal people.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 06:04:46 am »

I like the current level of diversity in DF with respect to animal men. However, I think the game should pick the animal men species randomly from a list during worldgen, so one world may have a lot of frogmen but another has brown recluse spidermen and so on.
This.
Have worldgen select a restricted number of animal-people types at worldgen. Maybe a worldgen variable as that would make everyone happy: default(1-10), none, all, <integer>.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 06:42:02 am »

I'd like to see a limited number of animal-men at worldgen, then secrets like "Elevate Vermin" and "Elevate Beast."

Then you could end up with things like towers filled not with zombies and necromanders, but King Cobra-men and Cobra Commanders, or maybe even have some of them who move into their elevator's hometown and become productive members of that civilization.

Of course in Adventure mode, you can discover the secrets, then play Pokémon and try to get one of every species as a follower.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 12:15:07 pm »

I'd like to see a limited number of animal-men at worldgen, then secrets like "Elevate Vermin" and "Elevate Beast."

Then you could end up with things like towers filled not with zombies and necromanders, but King Cobra-men and Cobra Commanders, or maybe even have some of them who move into their elevator's hometown and become productive members of that civilization.

Of course in Adventure mode, you can discover the secrets, then play Pokémon and try to get one of every species as a follower.

I support this with enthusiasm.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5