Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More realistic mega-beasts  (Read 2560 times)

Rain908

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More realistic mega-beasts
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:36:08 pm »

It's kind of weird to watch a 'supposedly' 30 meter dragon just somehow squeeze through my front door and then have my soldiers surround it in a 2 square hallway. I think it would be a little more interesting to have the monsters that are super large take up multiple squares of space, like a wagon. But give them the ability to break down walls that are 1-2 squares wide so that they still pose a threat to your fortress.
And if possible have them be large in z-level too, for extra coolness.
With the wall breaking ability, siege weaponry should also have to ability to punch through walls, because currently walls are the most unbreakable things ever, with dwarves only having the skill and ability to dig through a wall. It just doesn't seem natural to wall out a giant titan made out of metal with simple rock, and it having nothing to do against that.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More realistic mega-beasts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:49:12 pm »

I believe that destroying walls and multi-tile creatures is a major part of the up-coming army arc.
Nom nom nom

Rain908

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:54:54 pm »

I believe that destroying walls and multi-tile creatures is a major part of the up-coming army arc.
Really? Hmm, I didn't notice it when I semi-skimmed through the dev-list.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:40:26 pm »

If I recall, multi-tile creatures are just awful to program, which is why they haven't been put in already. It could be a while before we get those.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:10:51 pm »

actually the first thing I'm pretty sure he's doing in the army arc is multi-tile armies and groups, which leads to multi-tile plants and animals.
Nom nom nom

AricW/anA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:06:47 am »

Realistic mega beasts? Does not compute!