Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2214470 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

New release, I believe.
Spoiler: Possible Jinx (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Yeah, new release and even then it'll be once it's stabilized. That way we can iron out any chinks the release will cause and add the needed tags and such to what needs them.

For example, trash golems don't strike me as being good climbers while spawn would swarm up and over improperly readied defenses.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some crude scribbles of recently discussed stuff.

Top Left: Tin Tyrant, based off the original drawing. Largely heavily riveted except at the arms, neck, and head. The head is largely a big metal bowl with its edge hammered and wleded over the edge of the neck, with a mouth and nose riveted/welded to it to give it a rough imitation of a face. Within is both the machine's (after all this time likely greatly diminished) awareness and one of two power supplies, providing it with the eyes it uses to see both friend and foe.

Top Right: Trash Golem; bits of nails and scraps of paper as well as bent and torn metal plates cling to the semi-ooze of the rest. This particular one uses an old rough gem inside bits of broken glass and suspended by wires to "see" its surroundings.

Bottom: My interpretation of Asea's Pulse Rifle, mostly modified to make it look less clumsy to use, and having that wire fixed to ones side securely rather than dangling where it could get damaged or yanked out, as well as what I assume is a spare battery pack being stored with its... Prongs I guess, upward and inside the stock to keep them from getting dirty/damaged and a spot included for a laser pointer or a flashlight.

EDIT: I wanted to include a gnoll but I can't draw animals to save my life.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Yea, they look really great. Especially your Tin Tyrant. The Trash Golem might need some work, and the rifle looks exactly like what I'd figure based on the description.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I went with what I did for a recognizable face... Or uh, something approaching one anyway.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Yeah, but that's the thing, it doesn't look like one at all. I can tell by the shape of the head that you meant for it to be a face. But it doesn't look like a face. That's why I said it could use a few tweaks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The whole point was for it to be a crude imitation at best, not actually look like anything resembling a "proper" face. Like something just kinda made a sort-of head shaped lump and stuck an eye made of broken glass and such in it; those aren't retinas or anything, just wither wires or cracks in the glass, whichever you prefer.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Oh. Ok. Well can you use a saw or something to make a semblance of a mouth? It'd make it easier to see.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

@Talvi:

Believe it or not, I was actually intending on giving them variations in body structure (although they all would keep to having a fleshy lower body and metallic upper body) but I decided to focus on getting the default form through worldgen before putting in any others.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

I like the tyrant's drawing mighty well. Also, perhaps there should be a hermit-crab variant of the trash golem, that hides its fleshy bits inside a barrel, like a shell.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

I like Propman's idea. If it looked like that the eye would look more fitting.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

And I've started working on a few sprites, if you're the sort of fellow to use them.

For the gnolls, I literally just edited Bane's (I think it was Bane) Hyena men graphics to have snarling grins, while the Tin Tyrant stands bellow them in a vaguely Starman-like pose. The mess of pixels next to the T_T is meant to be a representation of a trash golem. It sure is hard to render a mug, a cog, a saw, two jagged metal arms, and a rotten lower dwarven torso into a single coherent sprite.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

A++

I like it. Especially considering you pointed out the Starman thing.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

@Propman, Splint

Gaaahhhhhhhhh why are you both rendering the trash golem as humanoid this is actually bugging me a lot >:(  It's supposed to look a lot more alien.

Fortunately Splint's rendition irritated me enough to attempt my own version, since my powers of description were apparently not nearly enough to communicate the surreal majesty of a shambling heap of trash with not enough legs. It's currently about halfway done.

Also, @Propman, sorry that both of my interactions with you thus far have been mixed-to-negative. Welcome to fucking Spearbreakers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:10:00 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

In my defense, the sprite was originally meant to have four legs as a sort of centaurish deal, but I was unable to cram them all in without it looking completly unrecognizable. Also, don't worry mang, I've long since been hardened against such things, after my pet Giant Desert Scorpion died from an infection she got from fighting a troll. Worthless animal caretaker, you just sat there!
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 815