Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2210094 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Also, Mr Frog... just for fun, could you say "LINE PIECE" in your most dramatic voice?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

I'm not blaming you for the mic sucking or anything, merely explaining that I can't really give an accurate assessment (which you admittedly never asked for, but it wounds my pride to not put in an effort to analyse).

lol at somehow accidentally picking up what was on your headphones :) Thank you for accidentally making me smile.

I wouldn't say Talvi is a full-on tenor, given that he describes himself as having difficulty comfortably hitting most of the notes in Mad World. To give an extreme example, I can technically sing some higher notes too (my range is roughly D2 up to C4) but it is physically-painful for me to do so and I sound awful. Admittedly the only way to classify him for sure would be to make him sing as low and high as he can possibly reach and thus see what his range is.

I was aware that you still weren't quite as low as me, but I'm just that easily-threatened >>;

As far as LINE PIECE goes... maybe tomorrow, if y'all are lucky.

E: We now have well over a page which is entirely about singing and barely about Spearbreakers at all. The crazy thing is I actually find it funny.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

I'm not blaming you for the mic sucking or anything, merely explaining that I can't really give an accurate assessment (which you admittedly never asked for, but it wounds my pride to not put in an effort to analyse).

lol at somehow accidentally picking up what was on your headphones :) Thank you for accidentally making me smile.

I wouldn't say Talvi is a full-on tenor, given that he describes himself as having difficulty comfortably hitting most of the notes in Mad World. To give an extreme example, I can technically sing some higher notes too (my range is roughly D2 up to C4) but it is physically-painful for me to do so and I sound awful. Admittedly the only way to classify him for sure would be to make him sing as low and high as he can possibly reach and thus see what his range is.

I was aware that you still weren't quite as low as me, but I'm just that easily-threatened >>;

As far as LINE PIECE goes... maybe tomorrow, if y'all are lucky.

E: We now have well over a page which is entirely about singing and barely about Spearbreakers at all. The crazy thing is I actually find it funny.
Understood.

Danke.

Mmmm... maybe not, but I'd say his average range hits in there. He's just not an 80's tenor. As per the physically painful to sing, I know what you mean. With proper preparation ( and/or luck ) I can hit mezzosoprano and sustain it for a whole second. At a cost of, well being able to breathe for five seconds and speak for forty. I have a semi-reliable trick for hitting higher notes that involves manually compressing my larnyx by depressing my Adam's apple with my thumb. Very painful, but it lets me hit that extra octave.

Ptttchu! Well then, I should shudder to think what it's like to be your relative. At any rate, it's ok, cos noone's gunnin' for your position here.

Hahah. Alright.

And why not? Music can easily be a great thing, and the Spearbreakers discussion has been rather sparse for the past 15 pages or so. Mostly this thread has become an artistic forum and self-help blog. Shouldn't think that's a bad thing, as it's probably the most creative thing here all told, and it just makes Spearbreakers that much more epic to exist inside such a fleshed out world with ancillary materials. Speaking of! I'm out of high school now, so I might actually have time to devote to continuing the Adventures of Ringo McClellan! ( If I don't keep getting distracted by my RtD's. )

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Hey, guys! Read through, listened to all your recordings. :) (Well, only a few of McClellans, to be honest, but I don't think either of us really expected someone to listen to all of it.) I tried to combine them all into one mp3, but it didn't go well... at all. We each sang at different speeds, and even when I tried increasing/decreasing the tempo (Audacity is a godsend), we were still singing at different keys. :\

Captain McClellan: You're actually pretty capable of carrying a tune, although you appear to have a little difficulty with switching notes - your voice wavers a bit immediately after you switch. You seemed to slow down more, the further into the song you went, but when I listened to it a second time... it wasn't there, so I think my ears must've been playing tricks.

And no, I'm not really a tenor. I can actually hit the notes that Mr Frog sang, and most of them comfortably. My voice doesn't sound as deep when he does it, though, because I have a hard time with applying force, the deeper I go, but they're the same pitch. I'm not sure what it is. I can do it if I'm thinking about it, but it just doesn't feel natural. I guess I just need practice. I'll record something with me singing Frog-deep later, if I get the opportunity.

On that note, bravo, Mr Frog! I wouldn't have expected that to sound so good (you've been unnecessarily hard on yourself in our conversations, and it was misleading). There were a few places where you were noticeably off-key, but they seemed to just be flukes. You hit the notes, though.

Lolfail - mmm. I'm just going to second what everybody else said. I've heard worse, though - you should hear my youngest brother tarzan through twinkle-twinkle little star. :P

I'm not a tenor, though. :\ Can't hit half the notes. My voice just sounds higher than it really is. I have no idea why, and I don't know how to explain it. I'll show you when I get that recording of me trying to match Mr Frog. (which means his voice is going on my MP3 player, lol) It'll make it more obvious

And I got the LINE PIECE reference, yay.

Finally, chapter productivity is up. I managed a chapter each, the past two days, both over 4k words. I think I've gotten everything I needed down in my notes, so it's full steam ahead at this point. Mostly.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:03:00 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

After some additional 'sperimentation, I've determined that my voice can shatter itself trying to sing anything remotely mid-high pitched, but singing in a low voice actually works. I'll subject you all tomorrow ;P

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome! Can't wait to hear it.

Oh, and about the lyrics - no worries. I'm patient. :P I ought to write the chapter they're meant for first anyway, I guess.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And no, I'm not really a tenor. I can actually hit the notes that Mr Frog sang, and most of them comfortably. My voice doesn't sound as deep when he does it, though, because I have a hard time with applying force, the deeper I go, but they're the same pitch. I'm not sure what it is. I can do it if I'm thinking about it, but it just doesn't feel natural. I guess I just need practice.

Poop. Guess I'm not special anymore.

I wish I could give some kind of useful input, but this is beyond what little knowledge I have in the subject :( I have vague hunches regarding what may be going on but I'm not sure enough of any of them to want to share them.

If you have a piano or MuseScore or something similar, would you indulge me in a little experiment? I want you to see what the lowest and highest notes you can hit (without growling or going into falsetto) are.

On that note, bravo, Mr Frog! I wouldn't have expected that to sound so good (you've been unnecessarily hard on yourself in our conversations, and it was misleading). There were a few places where you were noticeably off-key, but they seemed to just be flukes. You hit the notes, though.

Blame my sister; there was a six-month period where our primary form of entertainment was singing along to Vocaloid songs :V

As far as me thinking I suck, it's largely because you are literally the first person to tell me with any degree of credibility that I don't :( My parents tell me I suck and I overheard one of my fellow drama students whispering to another that I sounded terrible after we'd been practicing singing (admittedly, the song in question was way too high for me). My sister says I sound good, but she's still sort of in her "Big Brother is the Second Coming of Christ" phase, so I'm not sure I trust her to remain unbiased :V
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't feel like you're not special. If I drop down to your level, the lowest note in Mad World is literally the absolute lowest note I can reliably hit - by complete chance. :P

MuseScore, though? It's interesting that you mention it. XD Here, have a link to musics. http://musescore.com/user/14950/scores/25903

Blame my sister; there was a six-month period where our primary form of entertainment was singing along to Vocaloid songs :V
heh, don't worry about it, I had a six-month period where I was recording weird stuff with an old microphone on Windows 98 with my brothers. Weirdest stuff ever.

My parents tell me I suck
That's kind of harsh. :-\

My sister says I sound good, but she's still sort of in her "Big Brother is the Second Coming of Christ" phase
Awww, that's cute. :P

You don't suck, though. Not remotely. That actually sounded pretty nice.

I'm going to go record now, I think. Or try to. I feel a little congested today, but I guess we'll see how it goes. I'll let you hear what notes I can hit. lol (interested to know what those hunches are, though.)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Tech Issues. Technology and I agree to stubbornly disagree. And technology is winning due to pure numbers.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

@Talvien: You hit the highest notes out of any of us. Apparently this just means you have the most impressive range of us all.

@Mr Frog: You're probably one of the most consistent singers out of all of us. I have moments where I sound amazing, only to devolve into suck on that one high note... ( Usually it's second D over middle C, if I remember correctly. ) After that my voice just doesn't want to cooperate anymore. I'm not sure what the lowest note I can hit is though.

@lolfail: Just keep practicing. Biggest thing right now is increasing your range, then we can work on control. It only seemed like you were using four notes the whole song, so try to hit the highest note you can and hold it for as long as you can without hurting yourself, then the lowest. Every day try to get a little higher or lower, or at least maintain the notes for longer. Your larynx will begin to develop and adapt to the vocal range.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually feel really good today. It's pretty terrifying.

@Talvi:
That's kind of harsh. :-\

They're never that blunt about it, but that pretty much sums up what they say. They may just be "teasing" me, though (my parents kind of have a cruel sense of humour).

(interested to know what those hunches are, though.)

My first thought was something called "puberphonia", which is actually very common in men with overbearing/controlling mothers. The voice drops as normal at puberty, but due to psychological reasons the new range is never fully explored or developed and the afflicted continues to phonate in an unnaturally-high register, and has a significant degree of trouble using the lower half of their range. I believe additional signs of this syndrome include an inability to shout or project one's voice comfortably (because that's something that happens towards the lower end of most people's range). I don't know your voice very well, though, and I'm certainly not a trained vocal pathologist, so I really can't give a definitive diagnosis.

My second theory is that you have a similar range and thus voice type to me, but the subtype is different. To give an example, in the Fach system of voice classification (and keep in mind that I am getting this basically just from skimming Wikipedia) basso catante (high lyric bass) and hoher bass (high dramatic bass) are defined as having the exact same range (E2-F4), but with different dynamics and such. Hoher bass (aka bass-baritone) is deeper and more-dramatic whereas bassa catante is higher and more lyrical (hence the names).

E: I suppose it's also possible that you just have a really low voice as well, albeit not as much as me. Though that song was indeed very close to the bottom of my range as well, I could probably go a few semitones lower.

@McCllelan:
You're probably one of the most consistent singers out of all of us.

Hahaha. Honestly though, I think Talvi's the best at actually carrying a tune. He probably made the fewest actual mistakes out of all of us (besides picking a song he couldn't comfortably sing, hahaha).

E: Besides, it seems far more likely to me that I'm not so much more-consistent as that song just so happened to fall precisely into that small, magical range where I actually know what to do with my voice. Hahaha.

I have moments where I sound amazing

Mmm. Way to keep it real.

I'd like to thank everyone here for continuing to treat me with respect and dignity. As what few friends I have leave me behind socially and professionally it's really gotten hard to find anybody who doesn't talk down to me. I have one old friend who seems to have decided that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread because he's in college and has a stable job and my god he's gotten arrogant. Never misses an opportunity to subtly remind me that he's a successful man with a career and a girlfriend and I'm a dumb, stunted little manchild (at least as far as he's concerned).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:51:27 pm by Mr Frog »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I wonder if I can be understood more when I am singing...

Hell, I wonder if I can be understood when I am not.
Go speech impediments!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if I can be understood more when I am singing...

Hell, I wonder if I can be understood when I am not.
Go speech impediments!

Asea dear, where have you been?

E: Also if you want to subject us to your singing voice feel free, seeing as how this is now apparently the amateur singing thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I have been lurking, apparently missing all the good bits.
And I may go and shove in a recording at some point, or (helpless self promotion), you can check out my disgustingly bad mostly garbage YouTube, in which there are many videos containing my singing.

But I will also shove in a link to me just singing, or mostly singing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll give the other posts a read tomorrow - I've been busy cleaning today, dead tired. >.> just barely managing to get this uploaded. lol
me realizing to my horror that I'm one note short of Mr Frog
a disaster that gives a good feel of my range

edit: so I lied. I had to read.

Tech Issues. Technology and I agree to stubbornly disagree. And technology is winning due to pure numbers.
Talonis! Hey! I was wondering where you'd gone off to! Hope to see you back soon. (also, lol at the pun, I think)

@Talvien: You hit the highest notes out of any of us. Apparently this just means you have the most impressive range of us all.
Lol, thanks... guess we'll see about that. I couldn't hit Frog's lowest note, but I could hit the one above it. :\ Mr Frog - you win. :P *hands over the prize* Weird thing is, I could hit it earlier in the day, but I practiced it, trying to make it easier, and eventually my voice started to give out when I hit that note, feeling all raw and scratchy.

My first thought was something called "puberphonia", which is actually very common in men with overbearing/controlling mothers. The voice drops as normal at puberty, but due to psychological reasons the new range is never fully explored or developed and the afflicted continues to phonate in an unnaturally-high register, and has a significant degree of trouble using the lower half of their range. I believe additional signs of this syndrome include an inability to shout or project one's voice comfortably (because that's something that happens towards the lower end of most people's range). I don't know your voice very well, though, and I'm certainly not a trained vocal pathologist, so I really can't give a definitive diagnosis.
mmm. Do not want. I really don't like the sound of this. lol

My second theory is that you have a similar range and thus voice type to me, but the subtype is different. To give an example, in the Fach system of voice classification (and keep in mind that I am getting this basically just from skimming Wikipedia) basso catante (high lyric bass) and hoher bass (high dramatic bass) are defined as having the exact same range (E2-F4), but with different dynamics and such. Hoher bass (aka bass-baritone) is deeper and more-dramatic whereas bassa catante is higher and more lyrical (hence the names).
This sounds about right. I can hit the same general range, and comfortably, until I hit those last 3-4 notes... I just don't sound as dramatic and "full" as you do.

I actually feel really good today.
:D This makes me happy.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:54:17 pm by Talvieno »
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 815