Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [DISCUSSION & COMMENTS]  (Read 19830 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [DISCUSSION & COMMENTS]
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2014, 01:36:10 am »

Armok help me but this game is a mess.  8)

I solved the immediate problem of unhappiness (all it took to perk Skulls up was a bunch of chains set up in her basement... don't really want to know), but that Spring wave of migrants is going to be the end of me.  More than doubled the population and I have so little for them to do right now because I've been solely concentrating on infrastructure and the neutral zone.  On top of that, I had to disable hauling on just about everyone because of the damn cancellation spam, so they've all been making great friends with each other.  I have a feeling that all the idling has set the stage for one hell of a tantrum spiral.

On the bright side the dwarves just finished digging the neutral zone as Spring ended, so I should be set to fix most of the hauling issues tomorrow night when I do Summer.  Once I have everything set up, I'll do a mechanics post here.  The whole deal is going much slower than I expected due to all the issues with burrowing, so I likely won't get around to doing the automated track system, but I'll get at least a functioning manual version up an running by the time I'm done.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that I have the gameplay done for spring; right now I'm just polishing up the writeup and cropping/uploading the pictures.  Going to sleep on it before doing a final edit tomorrow.  Expect to see something on the RP thread around lunch time.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2014, 07:04:20 am »

(all it took to perk Skulls up was a bunch of chains set up in her basement... don't really want to know)
My Queen keeps mandating chain. Thankfully no one was a metal worker of any sort so she took the the task quite readily... When she's not carving up bones...

My Queen frightens me a little.

Thanks for all the work TocoMagic! (At least OOCly, ICly Chimerat is still of a "so long as it doesn't bother me directly" mindset... She also has no clue about the policy on the Children of the Mountain being cast out. ;) )

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2014, 02:33:17 pm »

I forgot to mention earlier.  I made the decision to keep the fort at 40.13 for the time being.  With several of the new bugs in the thoughts rewrite, I don't think the build is stable enough to use.  At least not for Glovedloved.  In testing 40.14, it only takes a few people with missing relatives and a flock of keas to make an entire fort devolve into a tantrum spiral of absolute destruction.  While fun for individual forts or succession games looking for absolute craziness, it's not so good for an RP-centric game.

I figured I was going to have enough problems on my hands just dealing with all the restructuring, so I didn't want to also have to juggle the new extra-crazy dwarves on top of that mess.

We probably shouldn't update Glovedloved to current until after those bugs have been resolved, but if the next overseer wants to watch the world burn, I won't stand in their way  ;D.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2014, 08:26:50 pm »

Yeah I have started a fort in .14 where pretty much 50% of the population has died to fist fights due to the missing relative problem.  How old is the world we're playing in though, it might not be so bad (or alternatively it might depend on how our civ is doing)?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2014, 08:35:45 pm »

Ah crap. I distance myself from the forums for the sake of work and I miss out on all the fun.

I'm still entirely unsure what to make of Digger. Maybe have him as an antagonist to the system, but working within the Mountain? No idea how to make that work. If he doesn't get in, I'd say smuggler who plays both sides. The only thing I have decided about him is that he's friendly, but shady.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2014, 12:36:56 am »

Sweet Armok but this fort is a logistical nightmare to manage!

I've got 44 dwarves in the slums with only mining and wood-related work for them to do.  Plus, the division has really complicated getting anything done.  If you forget to burrow a work area, stuff only gets done in random spurts whenever the game forgets to check burrow restrictions.  On the plus side, any building I want to put together just flies up.

Unfortunately I spend so much time on logistical fixing and tweaks this evening that I only got 2/3 of the way through summer. 

I do not envy whoever comes after me, but I hope to at least leave you with a functioning stockpile system.  A, um, system which I'm still ironing the kinks out of.   It's a lot better than it was, but the fact that the game doesn't check burrow restrictions when assigning hauling jobs is rather irritating as you get drowned in cancel spam of dwarves trying to path to an item in another burrow to haul it.

Anyway, gonna finish Summer and hopefully get the post up around this time tomorrow.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2014, 09:06:55 am »

Shoot. Somehow missed one of TacoMagic's updates, but Chimerat's made a journal entry now. She's not happy with the starving...

Also, she's got her eyes set on Digger. :P (Though I can't even get my seven starting Dwarves interested in having relationships in my own game... *sighs*)

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2014, 04:52:56 pm »

(Sorry for the double-post, but it has been over two days since I last posted in here... :-[)

I take it Nordinkel is the only one who can update that chapter and year in the journal thread?

Anyone else in favour of asking him to change it to just a general title next time he's able?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2014, 05:31:24 pm »

(Sorry for the double-post, but it has been over two days since I last posted in here... :-[)

I take it Nordinkel is the only one who can update that chapter and year in the journal thread?

Anyone else in favour of asking him to change it to just a general title next time he's able?

We can try, but he hasn't logged in since posting the save file, so my guess is that Glovedloved was his last effort to keep his interest in the game; and it failed.  After two weeks, I'm kinda thinking he's moved onto something else.

We pretty much have to decide if we 1) want to start an updated thread that's kept by somebody active, 2) Just keep the current threads with the titles that probably won't ever be updated, 3) Let GlovedLoved pass into the night.

In any case, I'm in the final month of my play, so I should hopefully be getting the final post up tonight as well as the save file.  I'll be messaging Neblime to see if he still wants a turn.

EDIT:  Meanwhile late winter in Glovedloved was extremely eventful.  I have to admit, the first three seasons were a big slog and not a lot of fun to play because I was spending so much time redoing all the workflow.  That probably bled into my journal entries more than I really wanted them to.  However, I very much enjoyed Winter; especially with where I was able to take it and the unexpected thing that happened during the last month.  Was a blast to play and is a delight to write.  Hopefully it'll be up by the end of the night.  Doing picture cropping right now while I wait for the story to settle in my mind so that I can do a final proof.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:51:25 pm by Tacomagic »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2014, 11:58:51 pm »

OK, here's a quick rundown of some of the more important features of Glovedloved.  Next post will be the link to the save.

Stockpiles:
First the stockpile situation.  Due to the constraints of only having 8 laborers on the Mountain side of glovedloved, I wasn't able to do all the things I'd planned with the minecart system.  Instead, I did something a little less elegant.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically there are 8 primary stockpiles here set to "take from anywhere."  One is for raw materials (rock/ore, wood, and gems), one is for food (not counting booze and prepared meals), one for furniture, one for finished goods, one for seeds, one for cloth and leather, one for bars and blocks, and one for refuse and corpses.  All piles are hooked up to a quantum stock pile and containers are disabled on EVERYTHING.

That last part is important.  I've disabled containers on every. single. stockpile on the map.  One of the big problems I ran into is that containers do not respect stockpile links.  Since hauling doesn't respect burrowing, it creates a situation where a dwarf will grab a container, target an item outside their burrow, and then just stand there until they die of dehydration/starvation.  In order to prevent this behavior, I had to completely disable bins and barrels on all piles everywhere.  This has caused a small issue with barrels building up everywhere and stacking up in the stills.  Not a big deal as empties eventually make it to the furniture stockpile and dwarves are more than happy to snag a barrel from the still if they're thirsty.

I've got a few linked piles in each side of Glovedloved, but didn't have the time to really fine tune everything to make sure metals and gems stay in the East.

The big problem with the segreagation is that there is no easy way to move items from the central piles to either side.  It CAN by done by using a minecart system (pushed, not lead), but I didn't get around to making a prototype of how that would work.

Even with all that, you're still going to be buried in hauling cancellation spam.  There's absolutely no way to avoid this without creating a squad of haulers that have absolute free reign on the whole map.  And it may yet come to that.

The Gibbets:
Looking around the map, you might notice this curious structure west of the town square:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't have quite enough time to finish it, but this is going to be the new jail area.  They are essentially gibbets.  Eventually I had planned to enclose them in fortifications and make the bridges retract so that the prisoners could be isolated.  As it stands, each sits on top of a support and is only otherwise connected by a bridge, which does not provide support.  There are thee levers at ground level hooked up to those supports.  The idea being that extreme troublemakers can be jailed there, and then dropped.  A couple levels of wall on top of the cage could increase the deadliness of the whole design.

The Crypt:

That's MY crypt.  It's located in the northern part of the Mountain area near the top.  Sadly I never ended up with a worthwhile engraver, so it won't take much to make a better crypt than that.  Even so, it's sporting a gold sarcophagus and a bunch of gold and silver statues.

The housing:
I never got around to designing a third one.  You could quite easily deepen the two existing building down a level and add another 40 rooms that way.

TacoMagic:
Currently she's in an impromptu hospital in the southern housing block.  There's a traction bench in the process of being built.  You can put it in there if you want, but it's actually not going to be necessary for TacoMagic's injuries.  You might want to add another few beds and an extra table, though.  Or make a new entire building for it.

I've also moved her over to the Slums burrow so as to coincide with the story.

The Dojo:
Now that Skulls is down in the neutral zone, the Dojo is back in Doc's hands.    There's a carved out area under it that was originally going to be extra rooms for Skulls as well as the jails, but I ended up changing that plan in favor of the gibbets idea.

The Fish:
While I was setting up and executing the fall of the queen event, I forgot to check the incoming dwarves for fishing.  As a result they are in the process of depopulating the stream and letting the fish rot.  You will probably want to turn off the fishing skill or make a bunch more fishery workshops to get the fish that is still good processed into useable food.

The WereSloth:
Good luck with it.  The WereSloth is just south of the Mason's shop in the south-west portion of the town.  So far I think it's killed five dwarves and is well on the way to ending a bunch more.

The Voting:
Two dwarves will need to be picked for admission to the mountain.  One for the start of the new year, and one to replace TacoMagic who has fallen from the Mountain.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:05:49 am by Tacomagic »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2014, 12:02:35 am »

Here's a link to the start of Gloveloved: Year 2 complete:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10058

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2014, 12:18:09 am »

Great turn.
Interesting twist, attempting regicide on yourself.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:19 am »

Great turn.
Interesting twist, attempting regicide on yourself.

I honestly didn't expect her to survive.  The drop was like 10z levels AND she was hit by like 3 rocks and a log.  I was stunned that not only did she not die, but that somebody else got caught in the collapse.

Made winter really fun to play since that didn't go down anywhere close to what I was expecting.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2014, 12:28:14 am »

Oh, and sorry about you going crazy.  No idea why the dwarves took so long to make the damn cloth.  I watched for like 3 weeks while the wool sat in a pile in the farmers workshop, then vanished, then somebody found it like a month later and finally turned it into cloth.

Dem fucking dwarves.

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2014, 12:38:20 am »

No worries, death is more entertaining.
Made for interesting turns in the tale.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17