Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'A vile force of darkness has arrived!'.. oh really?  (Read 12991 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
'A vile force of darkness has arrived!'.. oh really?
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:51:12 am »

This isn't about a siege, but rather the ethics of goblins vs dorfs. Dorfs make massive fuck-the-world machines capable of incinerating everything. Dorfs do horrific things to each other just because they went outside for a little while (eg my macedwarf bit the leg of a baby and shook it around until the leg came off sweet jesus). They make pits to throw helpless animals, goblins and smelly hippies elves down, and then are gleeful as they're covered in gore and take part in the slaughtering. They also just kill diplomats because they want something new to kill. So if Goblins are, in comparison, more evil, how does world history go past 5 years without everything being on fire?

So many questions

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'A vile force of darkness has arrived!'.. oh really?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:59:05 am »

how does world history go past 5 years without everything being on fire?

It does?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:08:42 am »

It's the dwarven point of view.

And that the dwarves cant see the big picture in their pits-o-doom, screw-this-if-I'm-going-down-I'll-take-the-world-with-me -machines, or killing each other and diplomats. To the dorf throwing a goblin into a pit, the pit is a simple hole in the ground. What is beyond it is unknown. To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.

Dwarves don't actually have a good sense of direction, or psychic knowledge of the surrounding world. They work on a whim.

Socks are a different thing.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:15:16 am »

I always imagined dwarves enjoying the same things I did, that is, delimbing goblins.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:21:37 am »

Well, dwarves my kill everyone else on sight, but at least they don't torture anyone for fun. And how dwarves act is defined by the player. They're just doing what they are told to do- by you. the real force of darkness is you, whom guides these simple dwarves to a fate of blood and fire.

Or maybe not. Maybe you hug elves all day and give forgotten beasts gifts of flowers. It's easier to ignore who is the most horrible species and just point at the child-stealing goblins and proclaim them to be The Enemy, so let's just do that.

Pull the lever, Urist!
This space for rent

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:39:16 am »

Your fortress is an anomaly.  Dwarves are naturally hardy industrialists who stick to their mountain caves.  Your fortress is an abomination to nature and physics where they send the outcasts of society to live their (rather short) lives on a penal colony.  You're not advancing the civilization, you're just a living dump for society's sociopathic scraps.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:55:42 am »

It's Australia.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:25 am »

We are the dwarfiest of dwarves.  Those who lack the courage and inspiration to wield magma without plan and forethought upon anything in their way are just short humans.  Or goddamn elves.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:19 am »

It's Australia.

By that logic then, I am the dwarfiest of all dwarves

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:32:33 am »

Goblins are stupid?

They also can't dig.
[Signature]

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 11:48:05 am »

They can't dig, but can build huge evil towers?
I must be missing something here..
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:48:53 am »

They don't build those towers. Their dark overlords summon them.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »

I mod the ethics raws heavily. Dwarves in my worlds are fanatical fascistic cannibals with unswerving loyalty to the Dwarven race and no concern for the lives of lesser beings. Elves and humans are noble scholars and hippies. The only difference between Dwarves and Goblins in my worlds is that Goblins lack discipline (and have [BABYSNATCHER]).

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 12:47:40 pm »

It's Australia.

Well there goes my chances of sleeping tonight. Time to set up magma sentries and hopefully avoid the torrent of bolts and lobbed stone.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:48:56 pm »

Imagine if there was an option in the advanced world generation to create random ethics for every race.
Pages: [1] 2