Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Firefall - new Tribes  (Read 15669 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Firefall - new Tribes
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 10:10:34 am »

Man, this looks fun to play. I love holding off the horde in ridiculous last-stand scenarios.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 12:32:17 pm »

This looks awesome.
It's too bad there doesn't seem to be any skiing.  That was my favorite part of the Tribes series.
Borderlands + Tribes?  Yes, please.

I'm a bit worried about the terrain graphics, though.  From that dropship, they looked terrible.
The buildings and people and such looked pretty good, but the terrain was just..  bland.
Also, that is not at all the Borderlands art style.  It's similar, but not really.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 12:39:04 pm »

It's too bad there doesn't seem to be any skiing.  That was my favorite part of the Tribes series.
I hear ya. I'm hoping that there will be scout type class with this wonderful ability. After all we only seen soldier guy and medic (and engineer type in cinematic trailer but I'm not sure if that counts for anything) and they said there will be more.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 01:16:24 pm »

Although it doesn't seem too likely, I hope they'll be smart enough to include open world PvP. If not, ah well.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »

What's up? What's happenin'?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 06:39:16 pm »

OH man, I am pumped about this. It looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I can honestly say that games that look like this, in my opinion, look much better than Crysis look alikes. I would much rather see games go this style of art than brown,grey, brown, and blood. I SEEN BLUE, and it wasnt water!

Time to sign up on the forums!

The only thing I cant really figure out yet, is what the object of this game is. It seriously looks like an mmo, but its not. Im so confused!
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 06:44:16 pm »

Beautiful? Beautiful? People looked good? D:

The people looked terrible! Except in the cinematic trailer. The game video itself had terrible people looking terrible. Do not like that at all. It makes them look like cardboard cutouts running around in the non-cardboard-looking terrain.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2010, 07:16:24 pm »

"For now, we are only discussing the open-world co-op experience. You can expect to see a lot more about the muliplayer experience at a later date."

That makes it sound like they have something to announce about PvP and just haven't brought it up yet.

It looks like it's been in development for a about 5 years and if what I'm reading is correct it's using the oft delayed Offset engine? Nice to see something actually come of that project and it's hype :P  Scott Youngblood of Tribes is the designer and Mark Kern from Blizzard is the studio founder. That's some good team if you ask me.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2010, 07:22:43 pm »

You, sir, need some wang.

/Partially unrelated shadow warrior comment, since games from the past used sprites and those looked like cardboard cutouts.

As for PvP, it's the best thing about online games, so I hope it will be decent at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2010, 07:27:58 pm »

SHAZBOT

Well, I love the idea and style of the gameplay presented in the footage.  Looks like barrels of online fun for small groups of people, without having to put up with the inherent "other players" problem of MMOs.

But I've got to say I don't like the art style.  I can see what they're going for, but it just doesn't mesh up.  Either the character models are too cell-shaded (especially with the black outlines) or the terrain isn't cell-shaded enough.  It looks like Hexen-era sprites wandering around in Halo 2's graphic's engine.  The character designs themselves are just funky too.  Like Sarge's armor - I get what they're going for, with the giant exoskeleton legs, and the backpack reactor thing, and having his steroid arms out.  But all the elements together make him look like a retard wearing butterfly wings and robo-clownpants.  If that's indicative of the developers' philosophy of art-design through the rest of the game, I'm going to have some problems.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »

I couldn't care less for the graphical details to be honest. But that's just me.

The design itself is sort of ridiculous but nothing that will bother me if the gameplay is good. The terrain, the thumper, and the ship gets thumbs up tho. I hope that the dropship is piloted by players as well.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »

Beyond just the design being ridiculous, I mean the cell-shading is so strong it's distracting.  First-person view isn't too bad, but the third-person player model is just eye-gouging.  Partly it's because he doesn't even look like he's in the gameworld.  He looks like a sticker on the screen and sometimes isn't even standing at the correct angle relative to the ground.

Like I said, I get what the design is going for, cartoony space marines kicking ass and taking names.  The way the thumper takes off like a Wile E Coyote rocket is superb.  But the character designs just don't work together; they're all a mix-and-match of relatively good, halfway-anime, super-space-marine ideas that just look weird together.

The enemies are pretty obvious ripoffs of Starship Troopers; they even have the same color scheme.  But I'm okay with that.  I do wish they had a slightly more involved despawn sequence than just sinking seemlessly into the ground.  It's alright with the smaller dudes who just blow apart, but it's really noticeable with the big guys.  Given all the other objects floating around and the hardware involved, I'd love to see a game that truly leaves bodies to persist as physical objects.  Imagine defending your thumper, and slowly building a barricade of bug corpses in the process.  That would fit right in.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2010, 07:56:36 pm »

I enjoyed terrain too. Cell-shading seems a bit strong and I wondered too if it would be possible to run the game without it, however it's not an issue for me. I like Borderlands style, however terrain there is cellhshaded as well as players and monsters, so it looks better.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »

They've said it's possible to disable the outlines.
Though I still say that terrain texturing could use some work.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2010, 08:01:29 pm »

You're too spoiled with the new games :P.

Hehe, I agree that there's room for an improvement, but the style and the look was good enough for me to want to see it in the game.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8