Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 237089 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2013, 04:52:46 pm »

I certainly hope the effectiveness of mods won't be based on crit chance, because some weapons actually have 0% crit rate, while a soma can go up to 87.5%.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2013, 05:02:08 pm »

I certainly hope the effectiveness of mods won't be based on crit chance, because some weapons actually have 0% crit rate, while a soma can go up to 87.5%.

Well, one of the devs mentioned fire specifically. I think? they said they're going to do a weapon review in light of the crit changes. But I for one kiind of like it because now it's not "have six damage mods and a couple mods to correct weapon deficiencies." It kind of takes the game closer to an MMO style rather than an arcade style, mechanically speaking, where these advantages are good in the longer term, rather than immediately awesome. Because they were having to balance the game against the reality that player damage simply went up, and up and up with every new weapon or feature, because of how all those mods calculated damage.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:57 pm »

Yeah, I intially thought "hey doesn't this make crit weapons king" but it does at least open slots for alternative mods that aren't widely used on weapons with low crit. It also gives crit a bit more of a boost for melee and sidearms which is good too, aren't crit "builds" pretty useless outside of rifles with high crit like soma/grakata, because the crit mods on rifles are so much better then the rest?

At the very least it's less of a no brainer to slap on damage mod then fill it with as many elemental damage mods as possible. Less armor on some enemies should help a lot to let the lower damage on average compete too.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2013, 05:15:06 am »

It's time for me to type up a big guide thing about warframe because it has captivated me and it's kind've what I do once that happens.

I saw someone mentioning soloing being hard earlier on in the thread (A few posts ago I think, in fact), and don't get me wrong, it is. Especially early on. As a solo person I figured I'd throw out some info.

First off, solo is an entirely different game from team play. A lot of the advice you hear in regards to pretty much anything can only partially apply or indeed not at all apply! First off, let's go through some mods you're going to NEED for solo play. All of these also apply to team play but given most solo people start off early, since running through missions with three people that can decimate an entire room in a heartbeat doesn't tend to be very fun, it's probably good advice for anyone that's just starting out as well. If you see these mods, grab them and never let them go.

- Redirection. You need a lot of shields. Shields are king in this game, mostly because they regen. Those health pickups you find lying around in early zones will become inadequate fast.

- Vitality. I'll admit this one is perhaps not a huge deal, ESPECIALLY in team play, but if you tend to play recklessly there's nothing wrong with getting a vitality mod and ranking it up a bit. It improves the buffer between shields running out and death, and the health pickups, while woefully inadaqute, do provide some refreshment if you don't get knocked around too bad.

- Fast Deflection. Again, not strictly nessecery, but all the survivability you can get helps in solo play, and your shields regenerating faster reduces the chance of a horde of grineer plowing into your hiding place and generally making a mess of things.

-Armor Piercing damage mods. Sundering Strike, No Return, Piercing Shot, Flechette. In solo play you don't have the benefit of three other people to hose down an enemy if your weapon can't get through the armor. Do your research, IE if your weapon does armor ignore damage then don't bother, but otherwise it's not a bad idea. It won't make all of your damage go through, and it'll still technically add damage to armor ignore weapons (for now), but an elemental mod or base damage mod will generally do you better for damage, a full mechanics chat will have to wait.

Small list huh? There are more mods you want, notably base damage and elemental damage, but this'll get you through earth, where "Uniques", like grineer heavy gunners and such, show up and on to semi advanced content if you've got the fingers for it. If not, don't be afraid to go back and grind up your mods, especially redirection.

Now on to the actual info, more of a list of hints because it's obviously hard to write a full on guide for a randomly generated game.

First off, get.... 15k I think? And buy the Braton. Not the Braton MK-1, the braton. The braton is sooooo much better then the braton MK-1 you start with, it's the difference between night and day. This is your first priority. You may also consider replacing the Lato and Skana but they aren't quite as big a deal. I'd say priority after that would be Skana first (get something that can hit multiple enemies! IE not a single non greatsword), then Lato.

Second, especially if you are in an infested mission, DO NOT GET CORNERED IN ONE OF THOSE LITTLE CLOSETS WITH LOCKERS. I know, they're filled with loot and credits, but make sure you've got the area fairly cleared out. If more then two or three people follow you in there, that closet may just become your tomb.

Third, more of a new guy hint again, bladed weapons do 3x damage to small infested units and MOA when the shields go down. That is... quite a lot, and a pretty big reason why Orthos is probably one of the best melee weapons. Don't be afraid to switch your Bo or whathaveyou out for a bladed weapon if you're going into a nasty infested mission or if MOA are giving you grief.

Fourth,  MOA's often will run straight into your cover and shoot you to death with no care for their personal safety. Don't just run away from them, kill them if you've got the shields. They will run out of MOAs, then you can pick them off or just go ape on them, if most of their force was MOAs, which can be the case surprisingly often.

Fifth and final. USE COVER. This is something that takes some people some time to get used to (understandably, you see the term space ninja and think you're supposed to blitz around and shoot everything to death), and it's very important for solo play. Almost nonexistant in team play. Use the left side of doors (the game only let's you target the right side of the screen with aiming, so it' sgotta be the left) You can actually hide behind either side of doors, use the H key to switch which side you can see! (Thanks to Biowrath, and a runner up thank you to Naxza.), to poke around and shoot things to death. If the AI derps out, this can be an easy death to a grineer heavy gunner or other unique.

And I'll leave the new folk with more info, if you intend to solo for a while, get ash or loki or rhino as a frame first. If you started with loki you're in a good place, if not, well all the starting frames are fantastic, some are just better for solo play. The cloak on both of them makes soloing much easier, and gives you an easy out if you need to get out of situation that's bad and getting worse. Ash tends to do more damage then loki, but loki's got the best sprint speed in the game and generally good ways to run through levels without needing to kill much of anything. I personally grabbed Ash, although he's apparently hell to farm for. Rhino has huge armor and uses iron skin and becomes immortal and then kills everything with stomp. Rhino in my opinion is a little rediculous at this point but he's still an excellent solo option. Rhino in general is better for reckless play, Ash and Loki reward caution.

So yeah, just figured I'd throw out some info in case people were looking into this with update 10 just out. The early game can be very frustrating, doubly so if you decide to solo. Might make some more later. IGN is Seriyu, if anybody needs anything, although I may not always be able to run with you, I should be good to go most of the time. I am not in the B12 guild, just as a heads up. For any veterans of the game, please feel free to shout at me if I got anything wrong in the thread.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:00:39 pm by Seriyu »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2013, 09:17:56 am »

Use the left side of doors (the game only let's you target the right side of the screen with aiming, so it' sgotta be the left
Actually you can switch which side you target - default keybind is 'h'.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2013, 10:02:11 am »

-Armor Piercing damage mods. Sundering Strike, No Return, Piercing Shot, Flechette. In solo play you don't have the benefit of three other people to hose down an enemy if your weapon can't get through the armor. Do your research, IE if your weapon does armor ignore damage then don't bother, but otherwise it's not a bad idea.

As of right now, this is not strictly true. AP Mods add armor piercing damage to the weapon, in addition to whatever damage they already do.

When the Damage/Armor overhaul changes happen, THEN your statement will be accurate. Currently though, it works in a counter-intuitive way.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2013, 10:08:07 am »

-Armor Piercing damage mods. Sundering Strike, No Return, Piercing Shot, Flechette. In solo play you don't have the benefit of three other people to hose down an enemy if your weapon can't get through the armor. Do your research, IE if your weapon does armor ignore damage then don't bother, but otherwise it's not a bad idea.

As of right now, this is not strictly true. AP Mods add armor piercing damage to the weapon, in addition to whatever damage they already do.

When the Damage/Armor overhaul changes happen, THEN your statement will be accurate. Currently though, it works in a counter-intuitive way.
Not really counter intuitive. It adds +90% of your base damage (at max level) as armor piercing damage. So you deal 190% damage, 90% being armor-piercing.

By the way, armor piercing and armor ignore are two different things. Armor ignore is just... well it ignore armor, while armor piercing is "elemental damage" and ennemies can be more or less resistant to hit. Grineers, in particular, are weak to it, and corpus crewmen's head is too.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2013, 04:43:23 pm »

That "switch the side you aim on" thing is AMAZING and thank you for telling me about it. I'll definitely throw it in there.

As for AP, all correct but the long and short of it is "Armor Piercing mods help you kill armored enemies". I added a little "doesn't make your entire weapon ignore armor, will still add damage to armor ignore" note, but a full explanation will probably have to wait whenever I get the urge to write a long winded guide post about mod mechanics. :P

Use the left side of doors (the game only let's you target the right side of the screen with aiming, so it' sgotta be the left
Actually you can switch which side you target - default keybind is 'h'.

Beat me to it!

I'm rather envious of new players, actually- there's so much new content from when Warframe opened up that I feel like I've missed out on a lot of the excitement of new releases, weapon variety, etc. since I've been playing for so long.

Then again, I wouldn't have me an Ignis if I restarted, now would I? Pchoooooo~

Yeah, I started sometime shortly after open beta, and the game has really grown a pretty huge amount since then. DE has made some controversial changes and really in my opinion they've dealt with them pretty well. (I still don't think the stamina nerf in update 10 was THAT big a deal, they really kinda got a ridiculous amount of grief for it)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:54:12 pm by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »

Just figured I'd drop in and mention galatine is pretty amazing to anyone hanging around. Double the charge damage of orthos, poor normal attacks, charge time is rediculous. Rewards kiting enemies around and nailing them with the charge. You can also sprint during the charge. I'm quite liking it!

Also maybe another long ole guide thing tonight. Thinking either mod mechanics or some more direct info on coping with the early game.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2013, 07:08:32 pm »

Just figured I'd drop in and mention galatine is pretty amazing to anyone hanging around. Double the charge damage of orthos, poor normal attacks, charge time is rediculous. Rewards kiting enemies around and nailing them with the charge. You can also sprint during the charge. I'm quite liking it!

Also maybe another long ole guide thing tonight. Thinking either mod mechanics or some more direct info on coping with the early game.
Yeah, it's great, but I favour normal attacks even though charge attacks are infinitely superior, so I'll stick with my Orthos.
Full Sig

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2013, 10:15:49 pm »

I obviously didn't get around to that guide so yeah.

But there's another patch out, corrupted mods, from the new orokin derelicts, involving a ton of hoohah with keys that gimp you and etcetcetc. They're all pretty fantastic, it's opened up a lot of possibilties! It's no armor 2.0 but it's pretty great.

Yeah, it's great, but I favour normal attacks even though charge attacks are infinitely superior, so I'll stick with my Orthos.

A great normal attack weapon is the dual ethers (not the dual ether daggers), as a person that largely prefers normal attacks as well. I've also heard good things about Fang prime and Kogake doesn't seem too bad, as someone that potatoed one. Although orthos seems like a good general purpose weapon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2013, 10:27:53 pm »

Dual Ethers here. After using them I won't use any weapons that are single target only, not when I can rend 3 guys every strike with armor ignoring normal attacks. Tried the Kogake, slow and single target. Meh.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2013, 11:11:13 pm »

is this game any good now?

I tried it when it was new and it was... well, let's just say easy. Very easy. Special abilities were a non-issue, teamwork was non-existent, and it was basically just a race to see who could kill stuff the fastest.... or a literal race due to someone ignoring all the monsters and just running to the end to finish the map in 30 seconds.

Which was a shame because it seemed to have a lot of potential, what there was of a backstory seemed very interesting, and the pay2win level seemed acceptable.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2013, 12:05:40 am »

Still that way, for the most part. It's a better game with friends than with pubbies. High level missions are definitely tougher now though.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2013, 02:35:41 am »

they recently released the Vaults. They contain very interesting mods, but to access it you need one of four special keys (you don't know which one before getting to the vault), and these keys give you insane debuffs, and you can only have one of them on you at all time.

So either you go alone and try to survive with a -75% health/shield/damage / -50% speed debuff (your pick), and a 25% chance to actually enter the vault, or you find some friends and cooperate to survive and open the vault (if you bring all four keys, you're assured to have the good one)

People are currently whining that they are killing solo play and rushers (even though there were complains about co-op not being encouraged and rushers being annoying), and (and I am flabbergasted by this one) that the dragon keys affect you outside the derelict (where you find the vaults)... Just unequip the damn thing...
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 133