Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 155587 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.08+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2014, 02:30:40 am »

I think dwarves need mountain peaks to create civs, so setting those to low or none would do the trick.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Reknot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2014, 05:13:11 am »

I have a question, one thing that stops me from generating my own Advanced Maps...

Everytime I make my own set of parameters and generate the world, it gets to year 30 then stops... won't go any further.
Now I do have

[END_YEAR:1050]

but it just .. won't go any further.
  I think it has to do with Beast End Year?

[BEAST_END_YEAR:30:80] ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:21:24 am by Reknot »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2014, 06:18:09 am »

Ahh yes,

That tag determines when to start checking megabeast population and what percentage (remaining alive) will halt worldgen.

I coulda sworn default was to check after 300 years, maybe you tweaked it accidentally.  that looks to me like halt if more than 20% megabeasts dead at year 30.  Which is gonna be true often.  Its usually simple to find in the 'e' advanced parameter list, its just below the settings on how many years to run, embark points etc.  You will find both the setting for year to start checking and the threshold % in those options.

Edit: Is this the newest version?  you are new to forums so assuming new to game.  Perhaps Toady really changed the default on this one, I was positive it was yr 300 before.  If the default is now yr 30, 80% living then that could be an issue since its gonna gen a lotta short-worlds for the beginner players without them understanding why.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:22:38 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2014, 08:24:17 am »

... Edit: Is this the newest version?  you are new to forums so assuming new to game.  Perhaps Toady really changed the default on this one, I was positive it was yr 300 before.  If the default is now yr 30, 80% living then that could be an issue since its gonna gen a lotta short-worlds for the beginner players without them understanding why.
I just checked 34.11 and 40.08, and the default for both versions is 30, for this field in POCKET worlds.  It's 300 in LARGE worlds.
Personally, I change it to match the End Year so my world always generates to the number of years I want.

Reknot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:35 am »

Ahh yes,

That tag determines when to start checking megabeast population and what percentage (remaining alive) will halt worldgen.

I coulda sworn default was to check after 300 years, maybe you tweaked it accidentally.  that looks to me like halt if more than 20% megabeasts dead at year 30.  Which is gonna be true often.  Its usually simple to find in the 'e' advanced parameter list, its just below the settings on how many years to run, embark points etc.  You will find both the setting for year to start checking and the threshold % in those options.

Edit: Is this the newest version?  you are new to forums so assuming new to game.  Perhaps Toady really changed the default on this one, I was positive it was yr 300 before.  If the default is now yr 30, 80% living then that could be an issue since its gonna gen a lotta short-worlds for the beginner players without them understanding why.

Hi friend.
No, I am not that new to the game. Been lurking the forums for years, but haven't written anything.
BUT I am new to making worlds! Have just made a map, [f]ound suitable embark. Played.
Haven't paid any real attention to the world itself.

But now I kinda want to make some nasty map. Like that one with one surviving dwarf and over run by a necromancer!
Like that, where doom in immanent and lurking every round.

Back on topic; Yes. It's the 40.08 and I am sure I haven't changed it. Maybe presets are off? I don't know.
Changing that made the history flow along again. Thanks.

EDIT:World I wrote about, doesn't work in 40.08.:

I've got a pocket world here with only a single surviving dwarf, who just so happens to be a necromancer, amongst ~10600 goblins and kobolds (combined population). I can indeed embark in dwarf mode, and just about the only place the necromancer cant reach is the terrifying tundra in the far north. I think it may be fun for anyone looking for some Fun, so I felt like posting it.

I generated the world with some trivial changes to creature raws. Nothing that should affect the history, I don't think.
   The world is also 527 years old, but generation and saving it took a trivial amount of time on a shitty public library computer with my thumbdrive.

map and info:

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Population Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gen Parameters (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:17:27 am by Reknot »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2014, 09:49:02 am »

My favorite tweak for woldgen is this pairing:

[SAVAGE_FREQUENCY:3:1:1:2:3:6]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:2080]

Makes the world a lot more FUN while at the same time still leaving just enough low-savagry areas for civilizations to eek out an existence... for a few hundred years at least.

I also prefer to double the caps for mega, submega, and titans, just to keep everyone on their toes.

Sliverine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2014, 09:27:28 am »

If anyone happens to stumble upon or knows how to create a flat embark with a equally flat volcano in a warm, heavily forested area, let me know. Even better if the embark contains a decent amount of entire obsidian layers before the first cavern  :D

Vjek: I ever requested such a map before back in the 34.11 days and I reused the world gen seed u kindly provided me back then. However I cant seem to find that sweet spot anymore. Maybe someone here might have more luck with that.

Link to world gen params: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg4271914#msg4271914

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2014, 10:30:10 am »

Okay, so I was trying to make a large world gen file that had oodles of volcanoes and rivers (I want a 2x2 that contains both as well as trees and flux and soil and clay and iron) but for some reason I'm not getting any elves or humans or goblins spawning in the world at all. I'm... confuzzled.

Could someone give me a set of params that could maximise my chances at the above, as well as include the other races please? I don't need a specific site, I'll search for that myself, just want to know what to plug into as numbers as mine are apparently borked.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:33:58 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2014, 01:29:53 pm »

Has anyone noticed Sites where Dwarves and Goblins (or Elves and Goblins) are living together? I haven't visited in adventure mode, just looking through the sites for my world I have a few of these where there are Goblins listed under the inhabitants of a Dwarven fortress site. Are they just visiting or are they living in peace?

Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2014, 03:52:24 pm »

Added pole-setting parameters for world gen, allowed north+south pole and no-pole options

Hellelujah!

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04:37 pm »

Newbie question: I was wondering, can I use this worldgen thingie to make your world more shallow, so for instance there's only one cavern layer instead of 3? Would that be difficult?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:06:29 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2014, 04:06:38 pm »

All you would have to do is set cavern layers to a lower number, though IIRC that can cause issues with HFS and stuff like that.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2014, 04:08:04 pm »

Has anyone noticed Sites where Dwarves and Goblins (or Elves and Goblins) are living together? I haven't visited in adventure mode, just looking through the sites for my world I have a few of these where there are Goblins listed under the inhabitants of a Dwarven fortress site. Are they just visiting or are they living in peace?

Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe the goblins are in cages along with the rabbits  :D
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »

All you would have to do is set cavern layers to a lower number, though IIRC that can cause issues with HFS and stuff like that.

It's that simple? I need to do this ASAP. Can it also make a world more shallow in z depth?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:27:40 pm by Dwarf_Fever »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2014, 04:15:28 pm »

Newbie question: I was wondering, can I use this worldgen thingie to make your world more shallow, so for instance there's only one cavern layer instead of 3? Would that be difficult?
Yep, you can.  In the past, this caused problems with HFS generation, but in 40.0x so far, a single cavern creates HFS no problem at all.

It is simple to create worlds that regularly have embarks with as few as 20 Z levels from Embark to magma, consistently, including a single cavern.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37