Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 366401 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer v0.51 - 3D Visualizer - 31.25 Support (see 1st post)
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2011, 07:20:41 pm »

I'm having no luck with this. I must be doing something wrong, but when I start DF and then overseer, its taking forever to do anything, and my computer becomes unresponsive to the point that I just have to unplug the machine. Are there some instructions I need to follow?

What are your system specs -- RAM and video card? If I had to guess, you don't have enough RAM, but I can't tell you anything based on what you've told me.

Sorry for the vague message. Here is some more info.

Windows Vista
2GB RAM Intel Core2 1.86GHz 1.86GHz
NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB

The behavior that I'm seeing in the console is, after loading all the Z-levels it begins to load textures. Each texture takes about 5 -10 minutes to load. During this time I can't do anything with my computer.

I also, as I'm writing this, discovered that I do have a problem with my video driver that needs fixing. I had a power outage during an automatic windows update a couple days ago. I do not know if its related to my overseer problem.

EDIT: Fixed my driver problem with new drivers, but I'm still having trouble. The map I'm using is a huge 6x6, so I'm going to try a 3x3 to see what happens, if it's a RAM issue maybe this will help.

EDIT2: Ok, a 3x3 works perfectly! DANG. I soooo want to see my big fort. I wonder if I let the thing run all night if it will still work?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:32:17 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2011, 10:57:37 pm »

Ah, glad to see you got it all figured out.  :D Unfortunately, yeah, 6x6 embark is likely to have tens, if not hundreds of millions of polygons. There isn't the paging support yet to handle dealing with the sheer number of triangles the geometry generator puts out for larger embarks. ::) Perhaps in the future, though. When I move off of the item/interface stuff and onto the geometry generator, I'll look at handling larger scenes better.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2011, 11:48:18 pm »

I actually got it to work. It took about 4 hours to begin, probably using virtual memory etc, but once it started it was actually usable. There were some big 20 second lag spikes occasionally, but I got to see my fort. One thing that was problematic due to my pushing the limits was that I couldn't see the map at nightime, and sometimes the lag spike would eat up the whole daytime. Nighttime is great for atmosphere, but when you really want to examine your fort and having fps trouble its really in the way. It would be great to turn that off as an option.

My latest forts:

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2011, 12:03:35 am »

There's a time multiplier in overseer.ini. If you set the multiplier to zero, time won't pass (unless you scroll the mouse wheel).

EDIT: It is interesting that you have it running somewhat usably though. The 20-second lag spikes are due to very large pieces of geometry (mineral types, presumably) being loaded in and out of the scene, nominally for performance. If they were split up a little bit more smartly, I might be able to get away with just taking advantage of that and not writing the paging stuff myself. Hmm....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:15:58 am by thewonderidiot »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:00 am »

I noticed that there was a init variable that was intended to avoid spoiling the content underground. Since I was mainly interested in my above ground fort, I could probably get a much better framerate and memory usage by eliminating 100 or so Z-Levels correct?

My latest forts:

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 18, 2011, 09:56:33 am »

I noticed that there was a init variable that was intended to avoid spoiling the content underground. Since I was mainly interested in my above ground fort, I could probably get a much better framerate and memory usage by eliminating 100 or so Z-Levels correct?

Yeah, definitely. Less z-levels will make things much faster.

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »

I can't get this to work. How am I supposed to run it? Using DF v0.31.25, I got the latest version of Overseer, I replaced the Memory.xml with the stuff you said to replace it with in the OP. I run DF, I build a little tower, I pause. Then I run Ogreseer, select direct3d9 subsystem, run.. screen turns black, loading. A "bing" is heard, I alt-tab and am confronted by an error box "Could not attach to Dwarf Fortress! Are you sure it's running?" (Yes, I'm sure it's running, look at the window just left of you, you can see DF running right there!)

I've got the fortress overseer installed to C:\Dwarf Fortress v0.31.25 MOD\Overseer0.51
The mod is just one custom race+metal, could this be causing the problems? Or do I have to run Ogreseer from a certain location? There's no readme or help file anywhere!
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 18, 2011, 05:32:33 pm »

I can't get this to work. How am I supposed to run it? Using DF v0.31.25, I got the latest version of Overseer, I replaced the Memory.xml with the stuff you said to replace it with in the OP. I run DF, I build a little tower, I pause. Then I run Ogreseer, select direct3d9 subsystem, run.. screen turns black, loading. A "bing" is heard, I alt-tab and am confronted by an error box "Could not attach to Dwarf Fortress! Are you sure it's running?" (Yes, I'm sure it's running, look at the window just left of you, you can see DF running right there!)

I've got the fortress overseer installed to C:\Dwarf Fortress v0.31.25 MOD\Overseer0.51
The mod is just one custom race+metal, could this be causing the problems? Or do I have to run Ogreseer from a certain location? There's no readme or help file anywhere!

Well, that's odd. DFHack is failing to attach to the DF process for some reason. You should only receive that error if your Memory.xml is outdated, so if you replaced it correctly, you shouldn't be seeing that. Hm... try running it as administrator and see if that helps.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:18 am »

I'm getting an error when I try to run it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any ideas what it could be?

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 19, 2011, 02:02:05 am »

I love the idea, but when I saw it in action I was underwhelmed. If you ever get more than walls and floors in, though, this could be amazing.

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 19, 2011, 03:18:42 am »

Well, that's odd. DFHack is failing to attach to the DF process for some reason. You should only receive that error if your Memory.xml is outdated, so if you replaced it correctly, you shouldn't be seeing that. Hm... try running it as administrator and see if that helps.
I'm administrator all right.
Wait, it's working now. I did the .xml thing again, only this time when redirected to http://cloud.github.com/downloads/mikestewart/Overseer/Memory.xml I choose to display the page's source code(view-source:http://cloud.github.com/downloads/mikestewart/Overseer/Memory.xml) and got a different text. I copied that one and pasted it into memory.xml and now it's working like a charm :D!

I feel so stupid now.
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 19, 2011, 11:36:04 am »

Hmm... make sure you have DirectX 9 installed.

I love the idea, but when I saw it in action I was underwhelmed. If you ever get more than walls and floors in, though, this could be amazing.

The current release is a preview release of things to come, so people can view their megastructures and stuff in 3D. It's nowhere near finished yet. ;)

I'm administrator all right.
Wait, it's working now. I did the .xml thing again, only this time when redirected to http://cloud.github.com/downloads/mikestewart/Overseer/Memory.xml I choose to display the page's source code(view-source:http://cloud.github.com/downloads/mikestewart/Overseer/Memory.xml) and got a different text. I copied that one and pasted it into memory.xml and now it's working like a charm :D!

I feel so stupid now.

Great, glad you got it working!  :D

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2011, 01:31:35 pm »

I just reinstalled it and it made no difference.  It's entirely possible that I've done something wrong, since I'm generally not very good at these things.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 19, 2011, 02:03:06 pm »

I just reinstalled it and it made no difference.  It's entirely possible that I've done something wrong, since I'm generally not very good at these things.

Ugh. I've done some looking into the issue, and what you have there is an open bug on the Ogre mantis bug tracker. Not sure why it's manifesting itself for you and not anybody else. What kind of video card do you have?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 19, 2011, 02:13:56 pm »

Geforce GTX 470
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53