Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1844886 times)

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1590 on: March 21, 2015, 07:01:32 pm »

Also, if a dwarf arrives at your fort with a book, or makes one after arriving, where would it be stored if you don't have a library defined?
Books are, if I am not mistaken, currently stored in finished goods stockpiles. I doubt that will change.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 21, 2015, 07:15:21 pm »

Also, if a dwarf arrives at your fort with a book, or makes one after arriving, where would it be stored if you don't have a library defined?
Books are, if I am not mistaken, currently stored in finished goods stockpiles. I doubt that will change.
Ah. I was really just wondering if a dwarf would stick a book they owned in their chest, cabinet, or even just under their bed if they had the option.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 21, 2015, 07:30:17 pm »

Oh. Yeah, that would probably be the case, if it's something the dwarf owns. In the chest or on the floor with whatever worn out socks they've collected.
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 21, 2015, 08:48:44 pm »

I already brought this up in the suggestions, but how do you feel about the game producing actual music following the rules you generate? As in, simple one voice folk songs that you hear when you walk by a musician who's playing. I made a song following one of your formats by just picking random notes and rests within the chords generated for a form.

https://soundcloud.com/nethodsod/the-grasping-oaks

It should be quite easy to program, since all I did was follow the two meters exactly, and then pick a random sequence from the chords for the melody. It alternates between the two chords, and has a brief segment where I randomly picked any notes from the whole scale. That happens between 1:45 and 2:30.

This song should be accompanied by a chant. Given the name, I suspect it should be an elvish chant of an unspecified but specific poetic form. It's a primary melody done passionate and loudly. Also the chordal guidelines were 'melancholic and soft' for the instrument. 

Generated music suffers from the interpretation problem.  Toady couldn't make something that could do this justice,  although we can take the data and demonstrate the richness it represents. That is what really makes this game great. I look forward to hearing what you output on the next release, but don't expect this in the game because it isn't practical.  Unless you really want to argue my opinion of the tone being not soft or melancholic is an error on my part and most of the world would disagree? I guess he could eliminate the descriptions and make it an entire generated sound file, but then he'll have to make that poetry generator he always threatens about in the form he threatens, and a text to speech synthesizer,  and other stuff that is inconsistent with an ascii game he made.

No, what you ask for is and always will be in the realm of user created content. Inspired by DF, but made by us. Please though, make more, inspired by the legends of worlds you play in.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 22, 2015, 01:21:31 am »

I already brought this up in the suggestions, but how do you feel about the game producing actual music following the rules you generate? As in, simple one voice folk songs that you hear when you walk by a musician who's playing. I made a song following one of your formats by just picking random notes and rests within the chords generated for a form.

https://soundcloud.com/nethodsod/the-grasping-oaks

It should be quite easy to program, since all I did was follow the two meters exactly, and then pick a random sequence from the chords for the melody. It alternates between the two chords, and has a brief segment where I randomly picked any notes from the whole scale. That happens between 1:45 and 2:30.

This song should be accompanied by a chant. Given the name, I suspect it should be an elvish chant of an unspecified but specific poetic form. It's a primary melody done passionate and loudly. Also the chordal guidelines were 'melancholic and soft' for the instrument. 

Generated music suffers from the interpretation problem.  Toady couldn't make something that could do this justice,  although we can take the data and demonstrate the richness it represents. That is what really makes this game great. I look forward to hearing what you output on the next release, but don't expect this in the game because it isn't practical.  Unless you really want to argue my opinion of the tone being not soft or melancholic is an error on my part and most of the world would disagree? I guess he could eliminate the descriptions and make it an entire generated sound file, but then he'll have to make that poetry generator he always threatens about in the form he threatens, and a text to speech synthesizer,  and other stuff that is inconsistent with an ascii game he made.

No, what you ask for is and always will be in the realm of user created content. Inspired by DF, but made by us. Please though, make more, inspired by the legends of worlds you play in.

That specific song form should have chants, yes. Also, those chords will never sound melancholic, unless you use notes outside them, or use extremely carefully considered expression. A vocalist would certainly make that easier.

What I am suggesting, is that simple one voice songs can be generated within the meters and scales generated by DF. That's what I did. I didn't put in chants, because that would be difficult to generate. The song that I made only has things that I thought would be easy to program.

The idea is that such a song is more like a jam session by the musicians in the game.  You would hear it when within a certain distance of musicians that are playing, and the song would be appropriate to the song form that the musician plays.

Toady, would you consider making key parts of the randomly generated musical forms stored in such a way that they could be reasonably easily accessed by external programs that convert them into audible music?
Under the somber sleep of stones, a star is snuffed by a candle.

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 22, 2015, 03:45:12 am »

Toady, would you consider making key parts of the randomly generated musical forms stored in such a way that they could be reasonably easily accessed by external programs that convert them into audible music?
[/quote]

They're more then likely in the histoy of the world. Which means you dump out as .xml files.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 22, 2015, 07:48:07 am »

That specific song form should have chants, yes. Also, those chords will never sound melancholic, unless you use notes outside them, or use extremely carefully considered expression. A vocalist would certainly make that easier.

What I am suggesting, is that simple one voice songs can be generated within the meters and scales generated by DF. That's what I did. I didn't put in chants, because that would be difficult to generate. The song that I made only has things that I thought would be easy to program.

The idea is that such a song is more like a jam session by the musicians in the game.  You would hear it when within a certain distance of musicians that are playing, and the song would be appropriate to the song form that the musician plays.

I get that those notes are probably difficult to play melancholic. I'm not a musician and don't know what all the descriptions mean, nor do I know what a rofela is. I do know that upbeat music played on an indian flute can sound pretty melancholic to me. It would be cool to have a musical change as you approach musicians. Not sure what he plans now for adventures approaching it. Maybe something like "You hear music and/or singing to the northeast or something. Playing a different speical tract of music at the same time would definitely improve atmosphere. I wonder if he is planning that?

As for the xml dump, specify how you would find it useful. Like MrWiggles says, right now you are likely to get it in the same format as exists currently.

(Edit: question in blue was answered by Simrobert2001. Thanks Simrobert2001.)
Toady, will you be making a different soundtrack that plays according to events in game to improve situational awareness? Like a 'combat to the death' tract, a 'I hear music' tract, a 'I'm quick traveling' tract, exc...
And...
How do you plan to display adventures approaching music?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:46:12 am by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 22, 2015, 08:12:30 am »

Reading all those devlogs feels like I am watching a child growing up.

Its so beautiful.....

Please consider adding some of those awesome ideas:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149573.0
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:19:43 am by King_of_Baboons »
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 22, 2015, 08:32:11 am »

specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 22, 2015, 09:17:13 am »

Will we get these scholars in the fortress? (like the old philosopher)
Do you have any plans to have them create books while in player fortresses? Will we be able to create libraries ourselves (like a hospital or temple zone or whatever) and attract scholars?

I assume none of this would make it in this release anyway, but do you have plans to do this a few years down the road from now?
Edit: just noticed
Quote from: devlog
The outlines are ready for [...] geographers [...]

Does this include cartography? And by extension, will that mean the world map you see in adventure mode will be influenced by your civs cartographic/geographic knowledge? Will we be able to find physical maps?
In general, will the book framework be used for anything else than actual books? I'm thinking of pamphlets, proclamations, wanted posters, and as mentioned, maps.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 02:33:48 pm by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: March 22, 2015, 10:02:39 am »

They're more then likely in the histoy of the world. Which means you dump out as .xml files.

Yeah, but I expect it's just the paragraphs we see, which means you need a text parser to pick out the important bits if you want something to just plug into DF and spit out music. If we get something that looks more like creature or civ raws, then it just has to go to the right variables and get the numbers it needs.
Under the somber sleep of stones, a star is snuffed by a candle.

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 22, 2015, 12:04:23 pm »

I remember a few years ago (?) there were suggestions that there should be training manuals of some sort that could be studied for dwarves to learn the rudiments of a craft without physically working it. Combat training manuals are of course the most famous, but my understanding is that they existed for many other areas as well. Are there any upcoming plans to include training manuals or something similar for dwarves to train skills with?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:44:37 pm by catoblepas »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: March 22, 2015, 12:16:55 pm »

Didn't see this question yet, but surprised by that.
Since necros are not the only ones making books now, will we see existing professions creating books to pass down knowledge? (Fisherdwarfs giving casting techniques or guides to what fish are best when, animal trainers cataloging things that they tamed, miners keeping diaries, craftsdwarves writing about the proper usage of tools, etc)

Although the reason I didn't see it might be because it's venturing into suggestion territory, we do know that the new artists are getting books, so it's more like who else will be getting book-writing functionality?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 22, 2015, 03:46:35 pm »

How will our new visitors react to having the fortress closed and being unable to leave, especially during a siege? Will they freak out and eventually go crazy like merchants currently do, or will they react more reasonably (either by accepting that there's a good reason for being stuck there or perhaps even demanding to be let out if there's no good reason for the fortress' entrance to be blocked)?

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 22, 2015, 06:19:46 pm »

After reading the brilliant devlog, I wish the game would tell us stories instead of us having to search the histories for them now.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 306