Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1560936 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 499 pages if you have 25 posts per page!
« Reply #12540 on: December 01, 2022, 01:48:06 pm »

-Do people hold open doors for one another. This indicates a willingness to mildly inconvenience one's self to help others,

This is now an outdated goal post. Now one must not open doors for another, lest they be accused of sexism.
The implication that a man holding a door open for a woman can be accused of sexism is now sexist, as it applies that a person based upon their gender identity would be offended at another human being not slamming the door in their face.

From what I've seen, society has moved on from the "holding doors being a bad thing".  I think the women that originally complained about that are now in their sixties.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12541 on: December 01, 2022, 01:48:20 pm »

This is now an outdated goal post. Now one must not open doors for another, lest they be accused of sexism.
That's just a smokescreen to hide the fact that the real reason I'm opening all these doors for everyone is that I'm a burglar by proxy

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: December 01, 2022, 01:49:59 pm »

That's just a smokescreen to hide the fact that the real reason I'm opening all these doors for everyone is that I'm a burglar by proxy
How...civilized of you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: December 01, 2022, 02:26:44 pm »

I just really like pen testers and think they're neat.
(One of their social engineering tactics is to exploit people politely holding doors open.  Yeah it seems scummy, but it can also be abused by actually malicious actors.  Security isn't ALWAYS theater or an excuse to stroke management ego.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12544 on: December 01, 2022, 03:33:00 pm »

I just really like pen testers and think they're neat.
(One of their social engineering tactics is to exploit people politely holding doors open.  Yeah it seems scummy, but it can also be abused by actually malicious actors.  Security isn't ALWAYS theater or an excuse to stroke management ego.)
Oh yeah I've shown up a lot of places I ought not to have been by accident the same way. And we've got a big problem with tailgaters because of automated doors, so people really have to be paranoid with anyone who follows behind. But really you can get far simply by looking familiar or looking busy with your surroundings

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: December 01, 2022, 05:33:45 pm »

From what I've seen, society has moved on from the "holding doors being a bad thing".  I think the women that originally complained about that are now in their sixties.

Oh yea, no, sorry. The 'chivalry is sexism' thing is still alive and kicking.

Edit: To rephrase, you're suggesting that a hatred of chivalrous action can't exist today because it implies women would find basic manners (not slamming door in face) offensive?

The reason it's hated is because men hold doors open for women more often than they do men, thereby tying it into a greater network of patriarchal tendencies which infantalise women or place them on simp-pedestals.

It's therefore inextricably linked to the image of *Strong Independent Woman,* infractions against which are not to be tolerated. (Though I find it amusing that the a priori and cyclical understanding of gender now current (I say I am woman therefore I am woman) renders the distinction that men more often hold doors open for women obsolete - did you just assume my gender? I could be a woman holding a door open for another woman, so your invective is directly contrary to *Strong Independent Woman*)

Personally, I'm of the opinion that chivalry is harmless. Adherence to social 'politeness,' even when that conforms to gendered patterns, does not harm either party. The intent, rather than effect, accounts for about 85-90% of my judgment.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:55:38 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: December 01, 2022, 07:23:18 pm »

How many people actually have to worry about tailgating? I can't imagine being paid enough to be trusted with a key or passcode to a door anyways.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: December 01, 2022, 07:56:00 pm »

One would hope there is also training regarding security for those people.

I worked in retail, stacking shelves, and even I got annual training for information security and told to be weary of people I didn’t know even if they were in uniform.

It consisted of like 5 pages of shit like “don’t leave customer details out in the open” and “remember to log out of a computer when you’re done using it” but it was kind of an effort I guess.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: December 01, 2022, 08:08:30 pm »

Security was somewhat lax during my time in retail.

Concerned that a customer was going to act violently, my manager used the tannoy system to call for 'all male members of staff on the shop floor to report to the information desk' and form a meat shield.

An action which I'm fairly sure wasn't policy. And also, fortunately, wasn't needed.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: December 01, 2022, 08:25:59 pm »

Foolishness to call your troops into formation without drilling them first. If the manager expects battle then they should prepare for it, procure some spears and shields and armor too.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: December 01, 2022, 09:22:08 pm »

Okay if retail involved medieval combat training I'd have been there every morning, like a star.

Morning, like a star.

Morningstar.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: December 01, 2022, 10:15:41 pm »

Okay if retail involved medieval combat training I'd have been there every morning, like a star.

Morning, like a star.

Morningstar.
Nice

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: December 02, 2022, 03:35:33 am »

If medieval combat was used in retail I'd assume that a fight to the death would be how they figure out who gets to be employee of the month.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12553 on: December 02, 2022, 04:52:52 am »

How many people actually have to worry about tailgating? I can't imagine being paid enough to be trusted with a key or passcode to a door anyways.
Where I work no one took it seriously because it was a very high trust workplace environment, with all the stuff you'd expect people to steal being locked away in interior key-carded labs and pharmacies. Plus you'd expect people to not try and rob a hospital. Nope lmao, a tailgater came in and stole one nurse's laptop and three study laptops. The study laptops are worthless; they can only be used by a small number of people with finger print access, and are programmed to only run one study program and nothing else. Thief didn't know that though. Now we have to stop tailgaters :<

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: December 05, 2022, 09:14:48 am »

Here in Sweden everybody just holds the door open for everybody. It's considered a basic courtesy, not something men only does for women.

Anyway, does tailgating in this context mean following somebody through a door? I only know it in car context.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 879