Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 366

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 650226 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2715 on: July 11, 2017, 09:47:17 am »

I have to imagine guts smell pretty bad no matter your moral alignment

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 11, 2017, 04:42:59 pm »

I'll put the bad smelling guts down to my halflings penchant for unicorn cheese and wormy tendril stew. Will worry about their morals later...

Baezon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: July 12, 2017, 08:30:36 pm »

So how the heck does FRIENDLY_COLOR work on entities? Making a new civ which uses cities but has friendly color as red still makes their cities look identical to human ones. Furthermore the colors don't seem to match up at all. The code for elves and humans says they should be light green and white, but you can clearly see that their forest retreats and cities show up as yellow and green, and different sized settlements have different shades too, where is any of that defined?

mradam5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: July 18, 2017, 10:53:35 pm »

Trying to create a creature that drinking its blood creates more of it the transformation is an interaction. can i have the blood of the creature call the interaction like a syndrome

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 20, 2017, 07:12:05 am »

Three questions regarding modding

(1) Does personality, like the goblins personality preference for violence have any impact on gameplay? I copied the values over to my dwarves to get some more drama in the fortress but they still don't fight with each other unless they go berserk from strange/fey moods.

(2) After installing graphic packs do you need to recreate the world? As I understand it installing graphic packs resets the RAW files. I copy pasted the old raws over after I installed different graphic pack, and the values seem to be there but I have nagging feeling that I might need to create new world.

(3) How do you simply make a creature domestic and trainable? I added the trainable and domestic values to lions, and when I created a new world for some reason dwarves became humans, elves became kobols and gremlins took over goblins (woulda like to seen the 20000 pop gremlin civilization lol). Not sure what I did wrong to cause this, but I still could not find Lions at the embark screen.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: July 20, 2017, 08:31:43 am »

1. yes, try making them even more extreme
2. yes, that's usually a good idea
3. [COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE], you duped raws somehow, check your errorlog

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: July 20, 2017, 09:12:26 am »

1. yes, try making them even more extreme
2. yes, that's usually a good idea
3. [COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE], you duped raws somehow, check your errorlog

Thanks!

Immunity!

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sleepy-Eyed Slime-Mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: July 20, 2017, 10:30:12 pm »

Wow, a 20'000 pop gremlin civ... That's crazy!
If I were a bit braver, I'd try playing through borked up installs like that, but I get pretty nervous about further messing up my own mistakes, which leads me to to my own questions.

I. I want to make Giant Cave Spiders domesticatable, but with caveats. The more the better - I do not think Dungeon Masters are a necessity for training monsters anymore, but, would adding [CHILD:1] be enough to make them domesticatable? And if I do that, will every civilisation end up having pet Giant Cave Spiders?

II. Is there a way to have domesticated Giant Cave Spiders, or perhaps their young, shift in time? Some kind of tag I could use to make domesticated Giant Cave Spider silk worth 1/4th the price of wild Giant Cave Spider silk? I'm not quite sure what I want to do here yet, but I'd be open to any ideas or recommendations!..

III. Finally, is there a way to let Merpeople not die on land, but only for a short time? And if I wanted to make cannibalistic merpeople, let's call them Rusalki for fun, I'd need to make ethics for them, correct? But that'd allow for Merpeople settlements? I'm not entirely clear on this one.

Thanks, any pointers in the right direction are appreciated!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: July 21, 2017, 01:42:57 am »

1. GCS are already domesticable.
2. I dunno by what you mean when you say shift in time, but iirc domesticated GCS don't shoot web. Even if they did you couldn't change the value, though.
3. Merpeople already live for short times on land, yes you need ethics, yes that'd cause settlements, but I don't know how that works because aquatic.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Immunity!

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sleepy-Eyed Slime-Mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: July 21, 2017, 04:18:44 pm »

I apologise, but I believe you are mistaken. GCS can be trained, but I do not see any news on domestication feedback when dealing with traders. Are you thinking of normal cave spiders?
Perhaps the way I thought domestication was handled is different; if so, could somebody break down how a creature is defined as domesticatable?

Here's what I was thinking for number II, by the way -

* Giant Cave Spiders, as default.
* Giant Cave Spiders, less aggressive, not as good as war animals. Domestic.
* Giant Dwarven Sheep Spider. Smaller fangs, no venom, produces more silk, but lower quality/value.

To represent the shift in animals as they're domesticated and made standard amongst a civilisation!  :)

Finally, merpeople can live on land for a bit? Ah, neat! If I were to build a tavern with 1/4th the room a section of open water, would merpeople come visit?
Anyway, I'll experiment on the rest myself. Is it acceptable to report my findings here, or would that be a good thing to make it's own topic?

Most importantly...
Thanks!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: July 21, 2017, 04:45:38 pm »

Wild animals and such don't come to visit taverns. Only members of civilizations. Currently I have merpeople set to be able to join civilizations (like animal people and gorlaks) and some amphibious hobbits who like building by the sea who they could visit if they felt inclined. But merpeople have yet to 'civilize' in any of the worlds I've made so far. Not sure if it's impossible as it's kind of hard to encourage such events (and requires long worldgen each time).

(And, as mentioned, I don't want sites cluttering up my ocean that regular merfolk civs would build. Hard enough to discourage the hobbits from doing that).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:04:54 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 21, 2017, 06:26:03 pm »

Wild animals and such don't come to visit taverns. Only members of civilizations. Currently I have merpeople set to be able to join civilizations (like animal people and gorlaks) and some amphibious hobbits who like building by the sea who they could visit if they felt inclined. But merpeople have yet to 'civilize' in any of the worlds I've made so far. Not sure if it's impossible as it's kind of hard to encourage such events (and requires long worldgen each time).

(And, as mentioned, I don't want sites cluttering up my ocean that regular merfolk civs would build. Hard enough to discourage the hobbits from doing that).

Wait, you got a civ to be able to build sites underwater? when I tried, the creature didn't appear in worldgen, I just assumed it couldn't be done (or atleast not without DFhack)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:12 pm »

Wait, you got a civ to be able to build sites underwater? when I tried, the creature didn't appear in worldgen, I just assumed it couldn't be done (or atleast not without DFhack)
Yeah, hobbits just went right out into the ocean and lakes with their sites at first. Starting an adventure resulted in a short amusing display of floundering followed by death (at least, until I made them amphibious later). Nothing there of course, not even other floundering hobbits.

The birth of the nation is usually a proper coastal town though. You can fast-travel out to sea, which is kind of odd (it's in the bug tracker) and there are giant sperm whales sitting in the street which is weird. I think they have problems escaping their own site though as they don't often spread very far.

Elves really don't like them for some reason so they don't often last more than a couple of hundred years.

Still experimenting basically. Not fixed on what I want them to be yet.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:38:34 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: July 21, 2017, 10:38:58 pm »

I apologise, but I believe you are mistaken. GCS can be trained, but I do not see any news on domestication feedback when dealing with traders. Are you thinking of normal cave spiders?
Perhaps the way I thought domestication was handled is different; if so, could somebody break down how a creature is defined as domesticatable?

I see your confusion; I misunderstood you, and treated trained=domesticated. If I'm not mistaken, training babies of already trained animals will result in permanent domestication, rather than normal training. I do know for a fact that civs will not update their info on said domestication (there's a chance it could happen in worldgen, though) as civs are usually entirely unaffected by the shenanigans of a player run fort, excepting the nobles list.

Different GCS breeds could probably be done with multiple castes, but you'll want to create entirely different creatures in this instance. For the less aggressive spoders, an addition to the raws to make them run from combat might be good? And to give them to dwarves, locate them on the 1st cavern layer, instead of 2nd and below. Same with the fluffy spoders, might want to borrow raws from sheep for that.

Also uh when I said 'a bit' I mean like 20 minutes in-game. Plus they don't leave water of their own volition (got a mermaid in a cage from an elven trader once).
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: July 22, 2017, 11:10:57 am »

So, can someone explain why these creatures don't generate in the world then? I thought it was because water, but I guess not

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 366