Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The mandatory Vanilla mod: where is it?  (Read 2910 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The mandatory Vanilla mod: where is it?
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:37:18 pm »

Why don't we have any "vanilla" mods for DF? I mean, stuff that can be fixed via modding, together in one place? The melting issue, the hammers and all being useless issue, the bolts being overpowered, just to cite the ones I know. There is a way to fix the bolts issue by making them lighter:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116151.0

IRL, they should deflect, at least sometimes, in plate armor, or get stuck in the body if you only use chainmail. Fuck, I got a bolt that crossed my fucking heart as an adventurer. As it stands, any bolt made of metal turns any armor completely useless. We have many studies and researches on bugs, and I believe some could be fixed via modding.

So, is there any "vanilla fix" mods?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The mandatory Vanilla mod: where is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:58:33 pm »

the bolts being overpowered
There isn't anything wrong with bolts in DF. What is an issue is that Dwarf crossbows are basically firing spears out of a hand held ballista, and they forgot to tell the goblins.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:04:54 pm »

the bolts being overpowered
There isn't anything wrong with bolts in DF. What is an issue is that Dwarf crossbows are basically firing spears out of a hand held ballista, and they forgot to tell the goblins.

What I meant is that they can pierce anything and is theorized here that making them lighter could make them deflect sometimes. This part is about balancing and correcting the weapons, fixing the zombies not melting bug and any other bugs corrected by vanilla mod, like the old now fixed kobolds dying on worldgen bug that could be fixed by adding the [NOEAT] [NODRINK] tags.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:08:53 pm by arkhometha »

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105871.0

Here's a mod that fixes some of the problems.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105871.0

Here's a mod that fixes some of the problems.
Yes, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:55:06 pm »

the hammers and all being useless issue

How are hammers useless?

Hammers are the best weapons against enemies in armor.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:59:28 pm »

Why don't we have any "vanilla" mods for DF? I mean, stuff that can be fixed via modding, together in one place? The melting issue, the hammers and all being useless issue, the bolts being overpowered, just to cite the ones I know. There is a way to fix the bolts issue by making them lighter:

IRL, they should deflect, at least sometimes, in plate armor, or get stuck in the body if you only use chainmail. Fuck, I got a bolt that crossed my fucking heart as an adventurer. As it stands, any bolt made of metal turns any armor completely useless. We have many studies and researches on bugs, and I believe some could be fixed via modding.

Modest Mod is one. Go look for it.

The current overhauls (Masterwork and Genesis) started out as "vanilla" mods, but then TRANSFORMED!

Their are also other bugfix mods, like Archery Rebalance, which is included in Modest Mod.

It wasn't that dwarves were firing bolts out of handheld ballistas (or gobins shooting arrows out of the same) as much as them using heavily-disguised railguns

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »

it n

How are hammers useless?

Nobody ever uses them. They just use adamantine axes. But it was a theory, not necessarily true. The ones about bolts are fixed in the Modest Mod, and the lasher being overpowered too. Now, only the

Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever) when killed in areas where corpses/etc. reanimate.
Melting point for zombies, so they can be melted by magma.
Wagon wood. Don't know if its fixable, or how you could do it.

fixable bugs remains, that I'm aware of at least.

Modest Mod is one. Go look for it.

The current overhauls (Masterwork and Genesis) started out as "vanilla" mods, but then TRANSFORMED!

Their are also other bugfix mods, like Archery Rebalance, which is included in Modest Mod.

It wasn't that dwarves were firing bolts out of handheld ballistas (or gobins shooting arrows out of the same) as much as them using heavily-disguised railguns
Masterwork and Genesis are great mods, but they are not my thing. I like how Masterwork fixed(I think) the problem with the fonts, but there are too much changes.
Thanks for pointing me out to Modest Mod, though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:46:00 pm by arkhometha »

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:27:17 pm »

it n

How are hammers useless?

Nobody ever uses them. They just use adamantine axes. But it was a theory, not necessarily true. The ones about bolts are fixed in the Modest Mod, and the lasher being overpowered too. Now, only the

Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever) when killed in areas where corpses/etc. reanimate.
Melting point for zombies, so they can be melted by magma.

fixable bugs remains, that I'm aware of at least.
Clearly someone has never experienced the absurdity of silver warhammers. Hide your Elves, hide your Kobolds.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 04:13:32 pm »

1: I'm pretty sure that's a feature, not a bug.
2: What's wrong with wagon wood?

Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 05:47:37 pm »

1.So, how you defeat the undead? They drop and rise right after. It should have a cooldown. Has Toady made any statement regarding this?
2. Shouldn't be wagon wood. Should be wood. Some dwarfs have preference for it:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3676

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:06 pm »

1. They only reanimate every week or so. Unless it's a necromancer, in which case kill the necromancer.
2. There is no "wood," there's just "oak wood," "fungi wood," "ash wood," "glumprong wood," "wagon wood," etc. It's how DF is coded, and if a dwarf requires wagon wood you can knock over a wagon for it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:17:56 pm »

1. They only reanimate every week or so. Unless it's a necromancer, in which case kill the necromancer.
2. There is no "wood," there's just "oak wood," "fungi wood," "ash wood," "glumprong wood," "wagon wood," etc. It's how DF is coded, and if a dwarf requires wagon wood you can knock over a wagon for it.

1.I was talking about necromancers.
2.I know DF has various types of woods. Wagon wood is a generic as wood, should be "oak wood," "fungi wood," "ash wood". Or at least I think it should be this way. Having do destroy a caravan to get a specific resource (like wagon stone) doesn't sound like a feature.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 07:52:36 pm »

2.I know DF has various types of woods. Wagon wood is a generic as wood, should be "oak wood," "fungi wood," "ash wood". Or at least I think it should be this way. Having do destroy a caravan to get a specific resource (like wagon stone) doesn't sound like a feature.

1. Necromancers do need a recharge, but I don't know how long it is.
2. Wagon wood isn't so much a feature as an improved placeholdler.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 10:46:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure dwarves never need a particular type of wood: any kind will do, be it from nether-cap or wagons.
They can, however, like it. It can help...
Sig