Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes Spirits of Fire not kill themselves?  (Read 1025 times)

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What makes Spirits of Fire not kill themselves?
« on: April 04, 2009, 08:09:59 pm »

I'm currently modding in a size 32 "Devil" creature, and want him to set everything he touches on fire, a la SoF.

However, due to me being new to modding and not thinking, I just set his FIXED_TEMP the same as a SoF's, and he just burned himself to death.
So, what exactly makes SoFs not kill themselves?
Is it the lack of skin?

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: What makes Spirits of Fire not kill themselves?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:13:49 pm »

I think they have some sort of fireproof tag.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:23:53 pm »

I think they have some sort of fireproof tag.

Nope, I put the [FIREIMMUNE] tag on my Devil, didn't work. It doesn't seem to be the fire generated but the pure heat of the creature that kills it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:26:53 pm »

I believe it has something to do with skin or flesh. Dunno what it is though. I never delved into the raws that deeply before.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:39:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think all the tags are what keep the SOF alive however if you want them to have a body of some sort with meat and all that then...

[HEATDAM_POINT:12600]
   [IGNITE_POINT:13000]
   [MELTING_POINT:13500]

these may be needed but if you want the same temp as the SOF they will need to be amped up. As they are now they will resist magma but the SOF is quite a bit hotter than that.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 08:40:36 pm »

Could be the simple humanoid body I suppose.... Or one of those no skin or other tags... could create a few dozen all missing/adding one tag and see what does it.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:29:32 pm »

Show us your creature raw, that should usually go in your first post when you have a modding-related problem.

Did you put STANDARD_FLESH on it? That defaults a few temperature-related tags and probably screwed it up.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 05:58:43 am »

if you take a look at your creature_subterranean file and look up the bonedam and leatherdam values of fire imps you can find the tags that will keep them from spontaneously combusting. (you should also change the homeotherm and a few other tags that are found near the bottom of the entry of the imps)

EDIT: I think these are the tags
   [HOMEOTHERM:10095]
   [HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
   [IGNITE_POINT:13500]
   [LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
   [LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:13500]
   [BONE_HEATDAM_POINT:14000]
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:42:13 am »

You defiantly need to remove [STANDARD_FLESH] that overwrites custom temp values and sets them to a typical earthlike organic creature values.  In my own experience you don't need to define custom bone temp values and such, it should use the creature values unless it dies, but they won't hurt.

[FIREIMMUNE] Does not actually make a creature immune to heat (except possibly firebreath, and possibly some non heat based damage being on fire causes), but it does make them able to path through magma which may be necessary.  Though if you want them to pass through 7 deep magma underground you probably want the nobreathe tag as well.

Add the temperature values Sir_Geo supplied, and they should work fine.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 11:46:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

that's the raw as it currently appears, with the FIXED_TEMP taken out. I currently have a few custom body part combinations on there. Its based on the Demon raw, obviously.

So if I add the temperature and heatdam tags, etc, it should fix the issues?

EDIT: I also just noticed my LIKES_FIGHTING tag is broken. Woopsy!
EDIT 2: New problem, it seems that the Devils are not being created at world gen like other megabeasts. Am I missing a tag?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:42:59 pm by Poco a Poco »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:52:25 pm »

So if I add the temperature and heatdam tags, etc, it should fix the issues?

EDIT: I also just noticed my LIKES_FIGHTING tag is broken. Woopsy!
EDIT 2: New problem, it seems that the Devils are not being created at world gen like other megabeasts. Am I missing a tag?

If you want it to act like a Spirit of Fire in that it burns whatever it touches and is immune to heat itself, just add FIXED_TEMP and remove STANDARD_FLESH. I don't think you don't need to worry about the other temperature tags if you do this, since SoF's don't have any of them last time I checked.

If I'm correctly in assuming that this is intended to be a megabeast and not a HFS, add [BIOME:ANY_LAND] in there and it should spawn.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.