Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long patrol duty  (Read 1993 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Long patrol duty
« on: July 07, 2013, 10:18:10 pm »

So all my soldiers are tantruming and with their extensive training killing everyone they start a fight with because of their enragement over long patrol duty. I don't know why though, because they've been training, not patrolling. I assume whenever they are active as soldiers they are "on patrol duty", but how long does it take for them to get mad about it? If I train them 2 months on 1 month off, will they still get mad?

Since this is a spartan fort, I shouldn't be getting too mad about the slaughtering of helots, but when they they decide that they're Hercules, kill their whole family, then go insane, it's kinda annoying.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Long patrol duty
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:24:31 pm »

You can set a minimum active force at the schedule tab for each squad, a minimum that should be under the actual ammount of occupied positions within the squad. That way you'll ensure the comfort of civilian tasks amongst the military. With a month or so that they take to look around and delight themselves with marvellous stuff around the fort, they'll be happy enough to continue their service.

Unless you're going full spartan, without luxuries or entertainment. Then you'll need extreme measures to contain the rage of your soldiers.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:27 pm »

I always go full spartan. Currently training is bugged to produce negative thoughts, but generally it won't be enough to piss off soldiers. A nice and engraved grand bedroom can help to make them somewhat happy, and should be the first things you should be building for the military.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 06:05:03 am »

This is a known bug. Use a patched binary, which is available in PeridexisErrant's updated lazy newb pack.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

You can also fix this using dfhack.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:21:03 am »

With that fix, dwarves now complain if you relieve them from duty. Very nice.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:46:52 am »

Dwarves have always complained if you relieve them from duty and they lack any civilian skills.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:09:16 am »

Dwarves have always complained if you relieve them from duty and they lack any civilian skills.

Fixed that for you.
One could also try hardening you soldiers by assigning war animals to them and then killing said animals. That way that stop getting unhappy thoughts. (Or a catsplat spike in the middle of a meeting area could work.)
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:47:41 am »

Its much simpler to have them train in an area with multiple nice things for them to admire while they spar.  Say, a well made chest, weapon rack, engraved floors or walls, etc.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:08:57 pm »

Or an arena where prisoners are slaughtered, with a burrow activated during the executions so that most of the fort witnesses it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:11:08 pm by VerdantSF »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 12:50:16 pm »

I am going full spartan, no luxuries, but I recently discovered that the ancient Spartans were the first to use public baths, so those help a bit. Also, they can admire their own tombs. Lol.

Anyhow, thanks for the idea about slaughtering their pets. The weak minded shall be driven insane, but we're better off without them!

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 01:24:53 am »

Ouch. Feel like a newbie here.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 07:19:31 am »

This is a known bug. Use a patched binary, which is available in PeridexisErrant's updated lazy newb pack.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

You can also fix this using dfhack.

Does this fix work with old saves, or do I have to start new game?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:13:00 am »

Since it fixes how the game code counts patrol duty and time off, it should work with your current save. I think it'll just take effect gradually, as with any disappearing bad thoughts.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »

Thanks. Just so I understand that I am doing this correctly. I just need to use this like the original LNP? Do I need to do anything with the extra utilities that this version comes with?