Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Prosperous West: An American Civil War Businessmen RTD  (Read 3696 times)

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Prosperous West. Turn 0: The Beginning of a New Republic
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 07:20:26 pm »

The Beginning of a New Republic
August 16th, 1861

Just yesterday Californian businessmen and and their private militias rose up against the Union-backed government and caused a massive scare in the remaining Union states, especially in the territories and states such as Nevada and Washington that were separated from the rest of the Union by the Rocky Mountains. The Western militias serving alongside the Union forces have deserted and are trying to get back to California and Oregon by hijacking Union-run trains and riding them back to California.This only but one of the issues the new Pacific Republic is facing. The French-backed Mexican Empire may try to reinstate their historical claims on California, Union-run companies are pulling out from the West and moving to the East. Luckily for this fledgling republic, they also have many opportunities to exploit. For one,there is waves of immigrants coming in from China looking to find riches and work in the constantly expanding industry of the Pacific Republic.

The general populace is waiting for an official statement from the new governmental leaders, treating this day as though it was a new holiday. While the private militias may do fine against Union soldiers, a more permanent solution would be better. For now, the various people in places of power have not formed factions. Yet.

Orders are due on Friday 11:59 ESTNote: Allow me some time to write up a more in-depth summary of the Pacific republic. PM me if you have any questions about anything in particular.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Prosperous West: An American Civil War Businessmen RTD
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 07:34:57 pm »

He said seven!  There are only six.  Is there one spot open?

Name: Mr. Hofmann
Company Name: The Great Gold Depository
What your Company Does: Holds all of your gold for you, and invests it elsewhere.  Also has a large mining operation.  That is at least what he does publicly. 
Background:Here is a summary of the many rumors.  One of the now rich gold miners, he took his gold and put it in his house.  Him and his friends decided to store their gold together, now most of his are deceased or penniless, and he "acquired" their gold.  He used it to start a bank and expand his mining operation.  He hires workers for low pay, and forces them to keep working for him with his "agents".  He has been investing his fortune in various businesses since then.  Eventually he became one of the head banks of the country. 
Political Standing/Beliefs: Wants all the gold to himself, at least stored in his banks.  He thinks the revolution would allow him to take control of the government and take all the gold for himself, but the US is an obvious threat.  They probably would crush the country if allowed, considering most people live in the North East portion of the country. 

Ugh, ninjas.  And its the GM too.  :(

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Prosperous West: Turn 0: The Beginning of a New Republic
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:53 pm »

He said seven!  There are only six.  Is there one spot open?

Name: Mr. Hofmann
Company Name: The Great Gold Depository
What your Company Does: Holds all of your gold for you, and invests it elsewhere.  Also has a large mining operation.  That is at least what he does publicly. 
Background:Here is a summary of the many rumors.  One of the now rich gold miners, he took his gold and put it in his house.  Him and his friends decided to store their gold together, now most of his are deceased or penniless, and he "acquired" their gold.  He used it to start a bank and expand his mining operation.  He hires workers for low pay, and forces them to keep working for him with his "agents".  He has been investing his fortune in various businesses since then.  Eventually he became one of the head banks of the country. 
Political Standing/Beliefs: Wants all the gold to himself, at least stored in his banks.  He thinks the revolution would allow him to take control of the government and take all the gold for himself, but the US is an obvious threat.  They probably would crush the country if allowed, considering most people live in the North East portion of the country. 

Ugh, ninjas.  And its the GM too.  :(
Don't worry, you're in. Also, the only reason Lincoln was elected OTL was because of California's Republican votes accounting for about a third of the electoral votes.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 03:19:19 am »

Place-holder orders may change once the revision is in place.

Friends an neighbours. Our wealth, property and families are under threat by the ongoing climate in this continent. Whilst the suggestion of emancipation is indeed a godly one, the language on both sides can only lead to conflict. Who do you think will be dragged out of their homes to defend either state or slavemonger? Who do you think will have their savings seized to fight a war of fratricide? Who's property will burn as men and musket roam this land? Will we be repayed for such sacrifice? NO!
We must save ourselves in our own secession!
However, whilst prosperous, we are weak. Whilst I would gladly fashion arms for every man in this state, that alone is not enough. We need a protector, as did the Union look to the French, we should look to the British! Who else would see profit in a divided union? Who else would love to see an old enemy fail!? In the name of God, I say it is our only hope of continued prosperity!
Whilst you may despair of such an act, remember, those to the south have claim and means to seize this land. And the French will hardly stay the Mexicans hand for whatever offer we bring forth. In inaction lies our destruction!

Call for my armoury to become the hegemony for the militias and any state conscripts or volunteers.
Demand a formal request to the British Empire for an intervention, as the US did the French during their independence.
Start looking for recruits for a volunteer police-force, pay to dress them in glorious uniforms and arm them in the finest gear to attract more muscle.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:25:38 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 03:56:51 am »

((Wait, a few questions, and this may make me sound dumb. Did we already depose the government? We're fighting the Mexicans? Do we have a currency to show how much we spend on our actions? Can we make alliances with each other, or are we supposed to be enemies?))

I support the plan of Mr. Fitzgerald! If he wishes, I shall supply his men with cheap food and drink, in exchange for protection.

Supply Daniel Fitzgerald's men with food and drink cheaper than market standards. Also, see if he will like to ally, unless we already start as allies. Also, invest in smaller businesses that require funds. When I reap rewards, spend it on buying my market competitors who deal in agriculture produce, as well as gaining new allies from those I invested in.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 04:57:19 am »

Let see here

Start looking for businesses that need they goods and material shipping(cargoing? Riding?)

((Hey Brood, a MASSIVE military power in SECRET!?))
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 06:43:08 am »

Continue finding and contracting out workers to other companies and work on poaching officers and important people from the Union military and companies to gather information. ( Use money not force. )
Send a battalion of men to Mr Hofmann to safeguard his gold.

" I support contacting the British. "
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:35:38 am by Brood »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 09:00:55 am »

"My fellow Americans! What Mr. Fitzgerald proposes is madness! We cannot hope for any aid from the British that allows us to keep our independence, surely you must see that. The British will stop at nothing to control the world, and we mustn't trust them. Have we forgotten the independence we fought so hard to achieve? Have we forgotten our greatest value - freedom? Britain is a great and ever-hungry beast, and to call their attention to a fractured America would be to invite certain doom upon us.

Instead, I propose we initiate diplomatic contact with both the Mexicans and the Canadians - I have heard that the latter are moving toward greater independence from their vile British overlords, and I do believe they are in the right on that front. And perhaps we can stay the wrath of the Mexicans if we propose a joint attack on the South, keeping any territory we gain for ourselves. We should strive for their aid and not invite forces from Europe to do as they please with our land. Furthermore, we should strive that the Pacific Republic becomes a hospitable place for all - Pacificans, Chinamen and blacks alike!"

Formally oppose request for British aid, citing historical animosity and British imperialism as chief factors.

Emancipate any enslaved workers my companies may possess, hire them on as workers with an equal wage to white people. Similarly, Chinese immigrants are welcome to work in any of our enterprises, receiving equal pay to white workers.

Send out operatives to gauge the current situation in Canada and the Mexican Empire, the opinions of the public there and other noteworthy facts about their policies.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:53:55 am by Harry Baldman »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:51 am »

Pressure government to make my bank the national bank.  Import Chinese workers to mine more gold.  Print paper money, and use it to bribe the government into making my bank the national bank.  Loan out 50% of my gold (In the form of paper money!) for 20% interest if not given back within a week.  If the persons in question don't give back my money, have Human Resources "repossess" the money in the form of injury.  (Use force, not money.  )

504 error?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:40:34 pm by alamoes »

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 03:47:07 pm »

((Wait, a few questions, and this may make me sound dumb. Did we already depose the government? We're fighting the Mexicans? Do we have a currency to show how much we spend on our actions? Can we make alliances with each other, or are we supposed to be enemies?))

-snip-
1. Yes, you already deposed to state government and are now in control.
2. No, the Mexicans may or may not attack the Pacific Republic.
3. I'm currently making stats for all the companies. Currency is currently measured in Union dollars. You may try to change that.
4. You may create alliances with each other.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »

(( Bring on the Mexicans, maybe they'll bring along some french to help them out and I can have some fun shooting them. A lot. ))

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 06:38:47 pm »

-snip-
1. Yes, you already deposed to state government and are now in control.
2. No, the Mexicans may or may not attack the Pacific Republic.
3. I'm currently making stats for all the companies. Currency is currently measured in Union dollars. You may try to change that.
4. You may create alliances with each other.

The Union has dollars?  I thought Lincoln brought over the greenbacks in 1862.  Oh well, it does not matter.  We can change the currency, as you said, especially if my bank gets to be the national bank. 

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 06:51:38 pm »

"Gentlemen, I find it extremely unwise to seek aid from a foreign power at this time. Once we let the british in they'll plant their nefarious hooks in us so we become mere puppets to them. Do we want our government to be mandated by a group of power hungry British aristocrats? Nay, instead I propose a distinct policy of independence. To build a strong economy, we must build it ourselves. We cannot laze about and seek the easy way to complete our goal. We should also stay ever vigilant against the Union, the same applies for the confederacy but on a lesser extent. Do you not remember the Lone Star Republic, how the Union so "graciously" helped them against Mexico? Only to pressure them into joining the Union and giving away their autonomy later on? The same would happen to us if we allied with any of these states.

I also propose to ban any companies that are not native Californian from the nation, we cannot have any foreign businesses meddling with our economy. Along with that, to build the industrial base and infrastructure we so desperately need I would like my fine company to be appointed towards that matter. We'd be more than happy to build railroads, and I believe these railroads will be vital in the event of a war with any great power. But I want sole rights to build and maintain these railroads and train companies, including any miscellaneous transport. The inclusion of multiple companies working for the same task will just muddle things up, and prevent any real progress from happening."

Oppose aid from any foreign power, and ban any and all Union companies from the Californian Republic. Along with that, start a series of public work programs to build railroads and general infrastructure across the republic.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:56:47 pm by Bdthemag »
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 06:55:02 pm »

(( The union doesn't have a countries..... it's a series of American states. It might have allied countries but thats about all. ))

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:03 pm »

((That was my bad, I meant companies. Don't know how countries was somehow typed out.))
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4