Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: On poopsmithing and urine.  (Read 3618 times)

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
On poopsmithing and urine.
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:31:16 am »

Due to some mild thread derailment, I thought I would make this. Basically just include Dwarfish excretia in the game, Historically urine was used for fixing the colour in dyed cloth, so it fits in perfectly with the dyeing industry, and Shit was usually dumped on the streets and carted away, by those slovenly peasants,('t could be used for fertiliser, or simply be a miasma generating nuisance).

't could be handled by haveng a new designation for urine collecting areas, and Dwarfs just producing poop, which then lies there, eventually generating miasma, until it is carted away to a designated Shit Pit.

Obviously this could get annoying if 'twas happening all the time so it could be spaced out to occur as commonly as Dwarfs eat and dring, (a few times a season)

So does this seem doable or am i just talking shit. (sorry, couldn't resist)
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: On poopsmithing and urine.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:38:44 am »

I recall that using your own stuff for fertilising fields can lead to bad things, as the parasitic worms and such can simply keep riding the cycle, literally going hand to mouth. Apparently the Aztecs had that problem, since they used it to fertilise the crops of Tenochtitlan.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:41:22 am »

All I want is (perhaps as a mod) the ability to make crap constructions and crap crafts.

I can see it now: Selling a gem encrusted feces mini-forge to an elf.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:49:19 am »

.... Um... This is going to go down like a house on fire. Can't say i'm a fan of either of these ideas.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:52:52 am »

It would certainly give a need for running water. And running water is bad for FPS.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 05:54:10 am »

It would certainly give a need for running water. And running water is bad for FPS.

Not really, Poop could be held in cisternae until they need to be emptied, and urine collection is handled in a zone. All it needs is a dwarf to haul the crap.
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:56:26 am »

It would give the cleaning labor a real purpose. You could have designated "restroom" zones with pits, and dwarves could come with buckets full of water to clean them every so often. Maybe even have "chamber pot" buildings made from buckets that you could put inside rooms.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 05:57:54 am »

Euch. I'm totally over this already. I just don't think its needed and would create a helluva uproar with some people.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 05:59:38 am »

Euch. I'm totally over this already. I just don't think its needed and would create a helluva uproar with some people.

Can't say i wasn't expecting that. But it would add a damn sight more realism to dyeing, atm once cloth is dyed it stays that perfect shade forever, in RL, before it was fixed, colour would be gone within days.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 06:01:29 am »

Not really, Poop could be held in cisternae until they need to be emptied, and urine collection is handled in a zone. All it needs is a dwarf to haul the crap.

But the most efficient solution would be to simply set up outhouses overhanging a river or a non-drinking aquaduct, letting the water take it all away. Or magma, though I honestly don't know what happens when you combine the two. I assume it smells really bad. And it's kind of disrespectful to treat a volcano like a huge poop-chute.

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 06:26:13 am »

This is a feces bucket. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is made of dried feces. On the surface is a picture of a dwarf on a toilet. The dwarf is making a painful gesture. The image relates to the creation of a masterful 50 courics feces block by the dwarf Urist McCrap in the early spring of 1060. The object menaces with spikes of feces.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 06:27:59 am »

Think of the Adv mode possibilities.
The Faecal matter strikes the Elf in the head, dislodging the brain and ramming the brain through the skull.
The Elf has beed struck down!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:08:24 am »

this thread

it has returned.

Let the flaming begin.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Ultimoos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:02:04 am »

Whats so bad about it? Dwarfs should be very civilizes as a highly advanced race. Why shouldnt they have toilets than? Actually i want my dwarfs to have a bathrooms and toilets with running water additionally to bedrooms. Crap crafts? Why not. Maybe not for dwarfs since they can use everything else but for elves it should be racial. Since they cant stand choping down trees and dont mine stone nor metals they should make everything from crap like nomadic tribes do. I could just doubt the efficiency of crap swords :)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 02:47:51 pm »

There was already a 'please toady i need feces in my game' thread, it was horrible, look for it in search if you want.   We don't need another one.
Pages: [1] 2 3