Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trees with Names!  (Read 2670 times)

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trees with Names!
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:11 pm »

I found that if you embark in an area with an elf population (like a place with an elven town that you can see on the region map), the trees in the area where the elves are will have NAMES.  Anyone else noticed that?
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trees with Names!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:02:57 pm »

Wait, seriously?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:10:34 pm »

Yup.  Some of them have short names, others have long names.  Not every tree on the map, but most/all of the trees around where the elves are.
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Hamdinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Circulating The Tapes...or DVDs...or AVIs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:15:04 pm »

Dang hippies
A z-level is tall as your I M A G I N A T I O N

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:44:34 pm »

do they bleed?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:47:01 pm »

Do they retain the names when cut down?

I so want a named wooden bed.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:03:43 pm »

I don't know if they bleed or if the logs retain the tree name-it's a fair way away from my fortress (I always play in 16x16), and I lost my legendary woodcutter to a goblin ambush, so it'll be a while before my two mediocre woodcutters chop down enough of the forest to start cutting that far away.  If anyone else wants to find out, that would be nice-maybe I will later too.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:01 pm »

Pretty sure that the names won't stay, though I've never bothered embarking near elves.

Why do the damn treehuggers come to me to die?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 11:39:58 pm »

You realize that the only truly dwarfy thing to do is to set fire to the abominable forest. With either magma, booze explosions, or cats. Or any combination thereof.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 12:13:03 am »

Yeah, I haven't got around to trying a thermonuclear catsplosion yet....but I want to keep the elves for a bit longer, they're a good first defense against goblin ambush parties that come from that direction.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 07:04:39 am »

Wait, you play in 16x16?
The ONLY solution is to flood the world with magma.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 09:17:05 am »

Hmmm... Has anybody done that orbital bombardement thing yet? This would be a great oppertunity to test the concept of Dwarven Orbital Magma Cannons.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 09:39:39 am »

Yeah, trees gain names near elven settlements, it's like this since a long time.

Pretty sure that the names won't stay, though I've never bothered embarking near elves.

AFAIK it's permanent.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:51 am »

Hmmm... Has anybody done that orbital bombardement thing yet? This would be a great oppertunity to test the concept of Dwarven Orbital Magma Cannons.

i am interested, how can you do that?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 10:32:56 am »

16x16? You using a computer from the future or are you just really damn patient?
Pages: [1] 2 3