Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 943923 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2295 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:27 am »

"Rough around the edges" and "barely holding together with chainsaws poking through every crack" are two different things. They need to make sure there's as little of the latter left as possible.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: August 14, 2013, 06:01:18 am »

What is taking them so long is they clearly don't want to release the Beta until there is at least an early game to play through. Or rather enough of a game that they can continue developing it at a speed enough that most players can advance through the game while also getting the updates to continue the game.

Though remember they can take their time, they already have the cash required.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: August 14, 2013, 06:43:24 am »

"Rough around the edges" and "barely holding together with chainsaws poking through every crack" are two different things. They need to make sure there's as little of the latter left as possible.

Surely it can't be as bad as that chainsaw-thing?  ??? I mean... there will be a Yogscast Let's Play at the Insomnia festival.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:33:08 am by GrayFox »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 14, 2013, 06:46:21 am »

Right now, there's a livestream over at www.twitch.tv/chucklefishlive of the first tier of gameplay for any of you that are interested! This is the first real gameplay footage we have seen!

DAMMIT, could they not have recorded it? :I Anywhere else I might could get a peek at this?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: August 14, 2013, 06:52:29 am »

Surely it can't be as bad as that chainsaw-thing?  ??? I mean... there will be a Yogcast Let's Play at the Insomnia festival.

-100 hype points.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: August 14, 2013, 07:01:28 am »

I think I actually found a multi part upload of the stream, maybe, starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irRA5swJ8d0

EDIT: Oh man, on P.3 and this is.... pretty much exactly what I expected. Nice. Love the sunglasses dinosaurs.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:18:33 am by freeformschooler »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: August 14, 2013, 07:56:12 am »

at part 6 23:13(ish) they fight Pikachu.      :o
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: August 14, 2013, 08:00:28 am »

Surely it can't be as bad as that chainsaw-thing?  ??? I mean... there will be a Yogcast Let's Play at the Insomnia festival.

-100 hype points.
I myself don't mind the Yogscast, in fact, I do like some of their vids.
Altough I don't get all the hate they seem to undeservingly get.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 14, 2013, 08:13:35 am »

Hype hype hype hype hype

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: August 14, 2013, 08:13:41 am »

Moment 747: That uncomfortable moment when you have to explain your video game erection to your significant other.

Parts 6 & 7 are the best display of combat yet. They also explain that this level 1 planet is basically a tutorial, and that everything is meant to give you a little taste and a sense of accomplishment. I think it's a triumph of game design, considering all of the randomness and the early state of the build.

I can confirm that they want at least 3 boss battles before they release the game in any public form. Right now the gameplay progression is somewhat flat and without much point, so they are working on balancing the "levels" as you go up to make it challenging and rewarding. I am also told that there are more than 40 enemy behaviors already with more planned. I have two large business deals I am developing and I honestly pray everyday that I can wrap them up before this game releases because I truly doubt my ability to balance my life and my Starbound gameplay for at least 3 weeks at release. I have 130+ hours into Terraria and I never bothered to beat it. To me it's more enjoyable knowing that everything will continue forever and Starbound actually caters to that mentality.

Is it normal for a grown man to squee with anticipation at every hint of a game?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 14, 2013, 08:14:16 am »

Hype hype hype hype hype

Love it!

I also love how when you first get to a planet it's saturated with a specific color, but then your "eyes" adjust and it sort of fades to a more normal look. They have truly done some brilliant work here and I can honestly say they are setting a new gaming standard. We will all be talking about Starbound for the rest of our gaming lives as a big point on the game industry timeline.

I look at this and can't help but wonder what Toady could do with a team of 8 people and $2 million dollars. Could he make a graphic Dwarf Fortress? Would it outdo Starbound?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:23:10 am by hemmingjay »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 14, 2013, 08:24:11 am »

Parts 6 & 7 are the best display of combat yet. They also explain that this level 1 planet is basically a tutorial, and that everything is meant to give you a little taste and a sense of accomplishment. I think it's a triumph of game design, considering all of the randomness and the early state of the build.

Yeah, it was pretty clever when he explained it in chat - those "mining camps" being substitutes for real dungeon early on made sense after they went through like 2-3 of them.

P7 doesn't have much actual gameplay if anyone wants to skip one of them - it's mostly just an item showcase.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 14, 2013, 09:09:27 am »

I think I actually found a multi part upload of the stream, maybe, starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irRA5swJ8d0

EDIT: Oh man, on P.3 and this is.... pretty much exactly what I expected. Nice. Love the sunglasses dinosaurs.
Hey, thanks for finding this. I'll have to watch when I have some free time and decent WiFi :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:16 am »

Hype hype hype hype hype

Yeah I think I'm sigging that...

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 14, 2013, 10:04:26 am »

It looks ok, nothing mindblowing. The only thing personally I don't like is monster death animation and delay. It looks clunky that monster just poofs after few second you killed it.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 565