Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 943951 times)

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2490 on: August 24, 2013, 02:26:39 am »

This is pretty much why I decided not to preorder. Preordering things without a release date just seems like a bad idea to me.

I think you get a discount though.
I don't know if that will end when beta comes out or when full release is out. But eventually it will be five dollars more.
The game will come out eventually. I hope soon! But who doesn't?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 24, 2013, 03:46:46 am »

As I feared, it would seem making a ton of pre-order money has made them a bit too relaxed. This news is going to piss off a lot of people, I think. I'm not too fussed myself, except for the potential loss of preorder money if a complete release never happens, but at the same time Rome 2 is out in less than 2 weeks so I don't have a single shit to give :D
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Maxono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 24, 2013, 06:48:43 am »

http://www.twitch.tv/multiplay
Starbound stream will start in 10 mins

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 24, 2013, 08:12:05 am »

except for the potential loss of preorder money if a complete release never happens

Not to single you out, but do people really think that's going to happen at this point? I know there have been many crowdfunding scams and failures, but that's almost impossible here. There's been too much work put into this game. They have a deal with Sony. We've seen too much. There's no way it won't come out... eventually!  :o I don't have time to watch the stream, but I'll be looking forward to watching the recording at some point!  :D

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 24, 2013, 08:17:59 am »

Maybe the speculation about the release is the game, and we've had it all along, right here in front of us.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 24, 2013, 08:27:46 am »

So I'm watching this stream and a voice is SCREAMING in the back of my mind the entire time and it's saying ........"THIS IS ALREADY BETA!!!!!!!!! THEY NEED TO TELL US WHY THEY AREN'T GIVING IT TO US!"

Seriously.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 24, 2013, 08:35:31 am »

So I'm watching this stream and a voice is SCREAMING in the back of my mind the entire time and it's saying ........"THIS IS ALREADY BETA!!!!!!!!! THEY NEED TO TELL US WHY THEY AREN'T GIVING IT TO US!"

Seriously.
Have you seen the stream yesterday? Where the game crashed twice upon trying to jump to a different planet? That is why it's not yet in beta.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 24, 2013, 08:36:32 am »

Which is typical performance for a beta.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 24, 2013, 08:46:29 am »

Only twice, haha. AAA games have been released in worse condition :P

Seriously though, as HJ says, that's actually about right for a genuine beta state game. Some of the ones I've managed to get in with early on have honestly been less stable than that, starting off. Good beta player base (built-in via preorders), solid bug tracker, and rapid bugfixing/improvements and they'd have a wonderful environment for a good will inducing beta stage, imo, as well as the benefits of good ol' brute force bug checking.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:48:32 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2499 on: August 24, 2013, 09:01:25 am »

Were the animations smoother than the one I saw a week or so ago? o_O I was kinda disappointed by the mining animations. The pick seemed a bit weird somehow.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 24, 2013, 09:13:10 am »

Gods, I had to stop watching that stream. I can't stand those guys. The only one of them who had actually played the game before seemed to be the only one who had any sense or intelligence in him. The others just constantly fumbled around, destroyed what he was trying to do (in order to, you know, show us some more interesting gameplay than a bunch of hapless idiots fumbling around) and just uuugghhh PUT THE FURNACE BACK YOU F***ING IDIOT--

...Sorry. I just really, really don't like those dudes. I've never watched Yogscast before and now I'll never be tempted to in future. Super frustrating.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 24, 2013, 09:18:22 am »

Posting because I want to follow and apparently haven't posted here yet?

I haven't wanted a game to be released and not suck so badly since before KSP was coming out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 24, 2013, 09:20:04 am »

Yeah, but I bet you can imagine the reaction from the community, especially when you take in account it's current composition.

"URR HURR HURR GAME HAS BUGS MONEY BACK!"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 24, 2013, 09:22:52 am »

Yeah, but I bet you can imagine the reaction from the community, especially when you take in account it's current composition.

"URR HURR HURR GAME HAS BUGS MONEY BACK!"

I feel like the giant sales thing is a part of their hesitance to release the game. Since people feel like the game has a super-huge budget and all this money, they are going to have higher expectations. I don't blame them a ton for being hesitant to release anything under that sort of pressure, and can see them wanting it to be pretty much perfect before releasing the "beta". But yeah, definitely would like to hear something more than "Oh, some time this year."
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 24, 2013, 09:58:39 am »

At this point, they can't do anything right. Everyone will criticize whatever they release because it has been hyped so much and for so long. Expectations, my own included, are out of control. People think they have a huge budget, but overall it's been less than 2 million dollars for what is a large indie team and tons of overhead for such a development. Honestly, I am worried that they have really hurt their own ability to make a lot of money from this. They are clearly artists and not business people, which might be good for us, but it won't end well for the team.

One thing that is clear though, this game is a career maker for everyone involved.

PS The mining animations are being adjusted. The animation and the size of the area mined are both being worked on. This game is a lot less about mining down than Terraria was though, so it's less of a priority.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 565