Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 943931 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2745 on: October 18, 2013, 03:20:47 am »

Oh that's right, I have a pre order for this game, almost forgot.
So any interesting developments? Did they actually release anything? I thought they were going to ages ago but never got an email or anything...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: October 18, 2013, 03:52:30 am »

Did they actually release anything?

Nope.

I'm guessing maybe by the end of this year. Maybe. Probably not.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: October 18, 2013, 04:08:13 am »

Well if somebody makes a "Better than wolves" mod for it before the damn game even comes out I'll be impressed.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:32 am »

So any interesting developments?

Essentially, no. The devs still release their cool daily updates, though these days they're mostly just "We did x today!" or "Worked on y today!" etc. I miss the big technical posts they made :(

Meanwhile, the official Chucklefish forums have calmed down and are no longer producing enough drama to power a small country, which is nice. There's still the occasional whine thread, but it's a massive improvement overall.

Finally, there was a thread a couple days ago that got locked due to the rules about discussing the beta (it's all meant to go in one sticky) which had a screenshot of Tiy in the IRC saying that the beta MAY release in November. Minor hypestorm ensued, but I haven't checked back since to see what came of it.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: October 18, 2013, 09:30:57 am »

I like how a lot of the posts basically lead with "lots of bug fixes today", but I do sometimes wish they'd actually post the buglists, or even excerpts.  Certainly, most are boring, but it feels like there are always bugs that would lead to speculation by implication.  It'd probably be a little risky with the hype train always primed and ready to roll off the nearest cliff, though. 

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: October 18, 2013, 10:08:41 am »

Yeah it is kinda tedious to have days on end of "we did NPC/dungeon/graphic/biome/critter stuff but we won't show you anything because LAWL". I, too, would like anecdotes about what crazy bugs got squashed, or something or other. But eh, I'm not that torn up over it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: October 18, 2013, 10:20:33 am »

Yeah but Starbound "may" be released in November was known... in August.

In the same way that it may be released in December or even January.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: October 18, 2013, 10:40:35 am »

As I've said, I expect it to come out somewhere in November (Making November a pretty big month: DF2013, X Rebirth, Starbound...)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: October 18, 2013, 11:21:25 am »

Wait, DF2013 in November?

Hmm. I gotta check my plans for November. See if there are any weeks I can toss out of the schedule...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: October 18, 2013, 11:25:40 am »

Quote from: Toady's Devblog
We're still on track to be through with the main list by mid-November as stated in the report, but there's not all that much new to say about it. Lots of issues with combat, vision arcs, tracking, conversations, and so on. In any case, things continue to go well.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: October 18, 2013, 01:03:45 pm »

Quote from: Toady's Devblog
We're still on track to be through with the main list by mid-November as stated in the report, but there's not all that much new to say about it. Lots of issues with combat, vision arcs, tracking, conversations, and so on. In any case, things continue to go well.

Going by their past record (where "done with" means "planned out but not implemented, tested, balanced, or polished") I'm going to assume that means there will still be weeks of testing and cleanup before they're really through the main list. That's fine and all, but experience taught me to take their finished estimates with a grain of salt.

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: October 18, 2013, 02:33:26 pm »

I have a feeling that many people are setting their expectations WAY too high for this game, and there is going to lot of rage/disappointment going around the internets when it's released.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's going to be a good game, but when I read these stories people write on forums about things they imagine doing in a game that isn't out yet, using features that have never been announced by the devs... well you get the picture...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: October 18, 2013, 02:51:13 pm »

November 21 is the target date now according to internal info. However, it is believed that the fans might be willing to wait a little longer, having some of their needs met by the large Terraria patch recently. Honestly, I think it might be a good idea to wait a little bit, like January. Personally I would like to play it right now, but for the sake of their success they should wait. Terraria is now fresh in everyone's mind with a much larger amount of content. That experience could reduce people's impression of Starbound at beta launch and thus hurt sales due to negative word of mouth. However, if they release in November or December they face the onslaught of Major AAA releases and Steam Christmas sales both canibalizing potential Starbound sales. The best window for release is 3rd week of January to second week Feb.

Personally, my own ideal release is next tuesday.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: October 18, 2013, 03:01:20 pm »

I have a feeling that many people are setting their expectations WAY too high for this game, and there is going to lot of rage/disappointment going around the internets when it's released.

This happens with literally every single game in existence, though. The only difference with Starbound is it's already started :P

November 21 is the target date now according to internal info. However, it is believed that the fans might be willing to wait a little longer, having some of their needs met by the large Terraria patch recently. Honestly, I think it might be a good idea to wait a little bit, like January. Personally I would like to play it right now, but for the sake of their success they should wait. Terraria is now fresh in everyone's mind with a much larger amount of content. That experience could reduce people's impression of Starbound at beta launch and thus hurt sales due to negative word of mouth. However, if they release in November or December they face the onslaught of Major AAA releases and Steam Christmas sales both canibalizing potential Starbound sales. The best window for release is 3rd week of January to second week Feb.

Personally, my own ideal release is next tuesday.

As a counterpoint to this suggestion, I'd like to put forward the idea that November is an ideal time to release the beta, because the kind of person who would see it, completely ignore the beta warnings and then rage and whine on the forums because they expected a feature complete game, would be too busy having their small attention span being eaten up by the shinier AAA releases. This would leave the beta to people who are actually interested in beta testing, and not just "getting the game early" which I think far too many people think beta is these days.

Though, as you said, the ideal release is next Tuesday :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: October 19, 2013, 01:58:09 am »

For me the ideal release date is "whenever I have web access and a day off" :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 565