Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 943949 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #6990 on: January 31, 2014, 01:28:05 pm »

Finally started playing again after a long break. Looks okay so far, although I never got past alpha before, so I suppose a lot of the changes won't affect me anyway.

My first planet had acid rain, pools of acid, hardly any ore of any kind, and a huge human prison that took up half the planet. Literally, half the planet. I scrounged up the few pieces of coal I could find and went to the only other planet in the system, a huge desert one. This one is much better so far.

It's a bit of a bummer having to start over from scratch though. I still can't find enough copper to make more than the leg armor, though I have loads of iron. It's really irritating to be forced to make the low-level armor first. Right now everything is kicking my ass because I have almost zero armor. I couldn't even beat the first guard at that prison - I ended up tunneling underneath, searching the containers on the bottom floor for goodies like a thieving groundhog, but didn't find anything useful. Also, I have no cold protection, so I'm stuck huddling next to a campfire all night until I can gather enough fur to make a helmet or something.

Speaking of which, did the bow get slower? It takes me ages to reload, so I can't kill anything with it. What gives?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: January 31, 2014, 01:29:47 pm »

Your bow is tied to your stamina. Are you running low on that? Armor gives you more stamina/power/whateveritiscalled.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6992 on: January 31, 2014, 01:41:28 pm »

Aha. I might have been low. Don't remember now.

I wish it wasn't such a bitch starting a new character in this game. It just takes ages to find enough animal skins to keep warm, getting your food supply stabilized, and finding enough ore for starting armor so you can go out and start doing the *fun* part of the game. Exploring, building, all that fun business. They have these difficulty levels now - why can't there be a "casual" difficulty level with reduced damage, reduced travel costs, and no penalties for death? For those of us who have time-consuming jobs and such, and don't have the time or energy to spend the first 4 hours of each game just scraping by and dreaming about the days when we'll get to actually enjoy the game? Those who want it to be challenging can have that, sure, no problem, but I don't see any reason why casual players shouldn't have what we want, too...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: January 31, 2014, 01:43:21 pm »

Animal skins are a huge problem. Your time is probably better spent finding metals and getting the racial armor that has warmth.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6994 on: January 31, 2014, 01:52:40 pm »

I just made a suggestion thread for a casual mode, in case anyone else would like to see that implemented... http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/casual-mode.68345/

I'd be happy to spend all day mining and finding metals, but when it's night, I can't go anywhere. Even digging, if I stray from a torch for too long I start to freeze. And I'm having a serious problem finding copper, as I said. Plenty of iron. No copper.

Speaking of which, why the hell is it freezing UNDERGROUND at night? THE SUN HAS NO INFLUENCE HERE!!! I know I complained about that before, even made a suggestion thread for it, but of course no one replied to it so it got buried really fast. : (

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6995 on: January 31, 2014, 01:54:02 pm »

Yeah... it should be freezing underground ALL THE TIME, not just at night.

Well.. down to a certain depth anyway. Then it would get warm again. But the upper layers of the underground should be cold cold cold.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: January 31, 2014, 01:57:38 pm »

Spelunkers typically have problems with the cold. It's a steady temperature down there but that temperature is chilly. Especially if you get wet, which can be life-threatening if you don't attend to drying out and warming up.

Note: This is all just stuff I've heard. I'm not a speleologist of any caliber. I did walk the lower half of the Ape Cave, one of the longest lava tubes in North America, but that's the most cavey thing I've ever done.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: January 31, 2014, 01:59:06 pm »

You can mod two of those things very easily, maybe two or three minutes. You can set your death penalty to whatever percentage and hard cap you want in the player.config file and change the fuel gained from the various fuel sources in the file for those materials.

Just follow this guide to unpack your assets folder, then open player.config, search "absolute". The absolute value is the minimum flat number of pixels you lose on death, the percentage value is the % of your pixels you lose on death. You can change these to whatever you want. IIRC the various fuel ores are in assets->terrain->[the first underground file]. Just Ctrl-F the various fuel ores (Coal, Uranium, Plutonium, and Sorium) and you can change the amount of fuel you get when you use them to fuel your ship. You can also change the fuel values for the rods for the last three so that smelting fuel ores is actually productive. You can also, if you really want to, edit the refining process for wood to give you more coal. You could actually do something like 1 wood -> 100 coal or something if you wanted to be super-cheaty.

As far as staying warm goes, unless you started on an arctic planet or something, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Same deal with food: just set up a farm on your ship; normally plants only grow when you're nearby, but they auto-grow on your ship. All you need is a cooking worktable and a wheat farm, and you've got an infinite supply of bread.

Also, if you dig far enough down, you stop being affected by temperature. Which, I suppose, is sort of accurate. Aside from that, just make a campfire. Unless you're wearing no armor on a snow planet, it takes absolute ages to freeze to death, and a fire gets you up to full in a few seconds. Also, if you really don't like dealing with the difficulty, carry a bed around with you. When you're hurt, just wall yourself in with dirt, place the bed, and sleep to heal. This is a pretty good way to use the nights when you're just starting out. Or you could just dig down. If you did start on a snow/arctic planet, get out of there.

Yeah... it should be freezing underground ALL THE TIME, not just at night.

Well.. down to a certain depth anyway. Then it would get warm again. But the upper layers of the underground should be cold cold cold.
Not super cold, cool-to-cold. Underground near the surface is actually a fairly stable temperature zone; it's why digging underground in real life is a solution to both extremes of heat and of cold. It's a bit chilly, but not freeze-to-death cold, and the earth above is excellent insulation from both sun and weather. Uncomfortable, but better than being in a snowstorm or a desert day.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6998 on: January 31, 2014, 02:05:21 pm »

The deeper you get, the colder it is... until you get to the magical land of melty rocks. At some point it will start getting warm if the planet has a molten core.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: January 31, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »

Was putting together a list of Starbound Mods a bit ago, which I'm using for a Kobold-Themed Permadeath Survival Forum LP. Figured I might as well share them all here as well, in case people are interested! I had to do a few manual tweaks to make them all play well with one another, specifically the Customizable Ships and Landers mod, and some recipe tweaks, but they don't seem to have issues working with each other.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: January 31, 2014, 02:56:39 pm »

Madtulip's is the most interesting custom ship but also the most prone to break with each version. A lot of stuff is packed into one mod.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: January 31, 2014, 03:28:29 pm »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7002 on: January 31, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: January 31, 2014, 03:32:57 pm »

Well i mean, it ruins the common artstyle of the game, by all means im fine with CATPEOPLE and DOG PEOPLE in the game.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: January 31, 2014, 04:02:08 pm »

Obviously, what we need is a Kerbal race mod.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 565