Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 943919 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8145 on: July 26, 2014, 09:36:08 am »

I will say that the first boss is kind of unfair for new players. SURE I know how to fight that boss... but most players think the boss is meant to be fought with the bow.
Hehe. I actually fought it with the (iron) bow the first time around. Bow and sword in accord, as it were. Never had more fun, to be sure.

How DO you fight the first boss if not with a bow and sword, btw? Or, well, bow and hammer, bow and spear, etc. It's not like you're going to have many other ranged weapons unless you specifically go around hunting for an avian ship.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: July 26, 2014, 09:39:09 am »

I will say that the first boss is kind of unfair for new players. SURE I know how to fight that boss... but most players think the boss is meant to be fought with the bow.
Hehe. I actually fought it with the (iron) bow the first time around. Bow and sword in accord, as it were. Never had more fun, to be sure.

How DO you fight the first boss if not with a bow and sword, btw? Or, well, bow and hammer, bow and spear, etc. It's not like you're going to have many other ranged weapons unless you specifically go around hunting for an avian ship.

You need to build platforms so you can sword attack the UFO. The Bow, even with perfect shots, does very little damage.

But even without platforms there are several ways to get hits on the UFO with melee such as during its slam attack, or jumping onto a hill and then jumping at the UFO.

Any weapon works just forget about using the bow or any ranged weapon really (unless you find a gunship)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:42:59 am by Neonivek »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: July 26, 2014, 09:44:58 am »

Really? They've had that issue since launch, basically, and still haven't done something about it?

The grind is a problem, indeed. Last time I played, you needed huge amounts of materials to build the necessary items to trigger each tier boss fight (not to mention all the necessary gear to actually survive the battle), and there's no reason for it to be like that. I initially thought they'd fill out each tier with loads of content, to justify the slow, MMO-grade progression. But it seems they haven't done much to that effect in months.

Is tier 4 really the last meaningful stage? And the devs have the gall to claim the game's in good shape for 1.0 as it stands today? It really sounds like they want to bail saving the bare minimum amount of face.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: July 26, 2014, 09:48:17 am »

I don't know for SURE... I only got to tier 3

But it was either tier 4 or tier 6... Of 10

Also yeah... the Devs stay the darnest things.

They are removing the Tier system eventually from what I hear (SORT OF kind of... they are confusing) but they haven't even completed that as it is anyhow.

---

Also losing to Tier 1 is pretty bad as far as losing time, but you could get that much in less than an hour... Losing to the Tier 2 boss OHH GOODNESS I couldn't imagine it, you lose hours of progress no matter what.

Losing to Tier 3?... YIKES!

It is a "game as it currently is" convention from what I am told for the bosses (bosses won't require anything built just for them). Though grinding all that gear isn't much better. Lucky for me I tend to grind most of the next tier's requirement in the previous tier... until Tier 3 because while Tier 2 uses Tier 1 materials... Tier 3 requires a new rare material.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:54:55 am by Neonivek »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: July 26, 2014, 09:55:19 am »

[...]Asteroids, I keep hearing they are mineral rich[...]
They. Are.
Even in the Alpha/Beta area, I'm seeing stones and minerals I've never seen before on those places.
Diamond being the best (as far as I've seen...which means 'As far as I can see from the starting spawn point due to have no air to move anywhere else)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:00 am »

Wait do asteroids have no air now?

Also yeah Diamond is pretty important even early on for upgrading your pick so you can have a good pick to cut down on grinding.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:31 am »

They always did? :P
It's like that timer that appears when you're underwater too long.

Yeah, we can hold our breath on asteroids for that long.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: July 26, 2014, 10:00:05 am »

I thought that at first it did have air (as did moons) the lack of oxygen game later.

So never mind the Asteroid trick no longer applies as a time saver.

Really? They've had that issue since launch, basically, and still haven't done something about it?

You have to understand at this point that the creators have a troll mentality when it comes to game design.

The fact that the emergency beacon will kill you... is likely the intent. The fact that the bow sucks for that fight being part of that philosophy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:11:46 am by Neonivek »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #8153 on: July 26, 2014, 10:11:05 am »

Nah, you can still stripmine asteroids perfectly safely as long as you have a campfire and the snow infantry suit. The ore density is so high that even with short bursts of activity you're still getting tons of stuff.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: July 26, 2014, 10:12:26 am »

Nah, you can still stripmine asteroids perfectly safely as long as you have a campfire and the snow infantry suit. The ore density is so high that even with short bursts of activity you're still getting tons of stuff.

Isn't Snow Infantry Suit Tier... 2 I think?

Its mildly difficult to find.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: July 26, 2014, 10:14:18 am »

You can also use multiple campfires if you don't/can't make the snow infantry suit.
My cabbages!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: July 26, 2014, 10:14:50 am »

Snow infantry is tier 1 you just have to kill dozens of animals for leather and build whatever crafting station. Also... there are asteroids in livable planetary atmospheres (sometimes) and asteroid fields in space. I think there's some confusion between the two.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: July 26, 2014, 10:16:59 am »

You can also use multiple campfires if you don't/can't make the snow infantry suit.

I just realized how wrong this is and on how many levels.

Its too cold... in the vacuum of space... so make sure you light multiple campfires

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: July 26, 2014, 10:18:38 am »

I just realized how wrong this is and on how many levels.

Its too cold... in the vacuum of space... so make sure you light multiple campfires
Yup, light some campfires on the oxygenless asteroids so you don't get cold.
My cabbages!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: July 26, 2014, 10:21:17 am »

Need I remind you that they are the same campfires that will happily (and bubblily) burn underwater?

Or am I confusing this with Terraria again?

edit: Yeah, either I am, or I'm remembering a very early build.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:26:36 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 565