Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: V.4g Hexxedgarish - AboveGround Dwarf Challenge  (Read 21986 times)

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: V.4g Hexxedgarish - AboveGround Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 01:41:14 am »

I noticed you have a MASSIVE stockpile of stones / ores. Have you ever thought of using minecart mechanics for a quantum stockpile? (would reduce needed stockpile space, and reduce lag at the same time)

My favorite method is to have 3 small (4x4, or 3x3) stone / ore stockpiles (with 3 wheelbarrows each) with a few minecarts to put it all in a quantum in the middle.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 01:58:05 am »

I considered it but haven't done it yet :D
I will probably do those once I'm building real workshop/stockpile buildings.
FPS are not a concern until now, I limited my FPS to 80 (game is too fast to catch the details when playing faster, imho) and I'm constantly reaching it.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 02:03:46 am »

Just an FYI, i have NEVER sucessfully gotten a lvl 3 earth mage. When they go to learn the 3rd lvl, their rock shield spell keeps blocking it. (or at least it did back in 4.D, which was the last time i tried)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:15 pm »

2nd Granite
Upon reaching the Orc Ducim had finally decided to drop that table and use his knuckleduster. Joined by his training mate they both tried to hit the Orc for eternities, without much success. Both were obviously lacking the necessary experience with their weapons. Their training session with the Orc got abruptly ended, when Dakost, another recruit, joined them and simply cut the Orc's head off with a single strike of his bloodsteel bladed whip. That was an impressive performance.

21st Granite
About 15 thieves have visited us already in this year. And none, not even the Automatons, had done any damage. And still we suffered our first death for the year today.

Coal remains our worst enemy. We had to draft a few more miners, but there are not many volunteers for that job right now. But the work has to be done!

27th Granite
Today we were visited by a good old friend.

He had decided that no one would buy his spooky werelizard masquerade anyway, so this time he showed up in his Kobold form right away. But somehow he changed his mind and as quick as he had come, he left us again. I have no clue what he wanted here.

16th Slate
A new dwarf has shown up in the barracks, who just wanted to be called tenderraost, has shown up in the barracks. Weird name. Whatever... What really caused the confusion was his equipment. He was completely clad in welded mithril armor, no other dwarf in the fortress had such luxury, while wielding a welded wolfram meteor hammer. When people thought at first, that this would be some new legendary soldier to bolster our defenses, they quickly noticed how wrong they were. This dwarf could barely even hold that heavy hammer. He was also flimsy and clumsy.

In general he seemed everything but a warrior. But still, it seemed kamikazi had accepted him as training partner, and no one would doubt her decisions. At least not loudly.  As none of the civilians could make sense of it, many stories and gossip existed who this guy really could be.

10th Felsite
One of the children went nuts and made some Kobold bone greaves.

Considering the amount of materials used the art of it is surprisingly lackluster.  Not sure if anyone would want to wear those. But whatever, another artifact here in Hexxedgarish.
Also the masons have finally completed the outer wall! 3 more bastions have been added and the walkway around he wall is completed. Finally we can start some new projects.

19th Felsite
They will never learn it. The elves have sent another caravan. Whatever, we like presents and will surely take those as well.

20th Felsite
Looks like we aren't the only ones who want the elves goods. An ambush! Automatons! Immediately everyone got ready for battle. For now there were only 6.

They quickly got under fire by our axe throwers and within seconds 2 of them were already humping. An Automaton thief who was trying to hide behind the ambushers caught an axe with the head. It was probably the last thing he saw.
When the Automatons approached the entrance and were now in between our axe and javelin throwers kamikazi gave the sign. ATTACK!
Some had always thought, that our knuckle duster wearing wrestlers were second class fighters. This battle would prove them otherwise. Hardly anyone could compete with the efficiency of Birut's knuckle duster.
(this were the first 3 strikes the Automaton received... he wasn't wounded or anything...)
It looked like Kamikazi felt, that she could not let her former recruit trump herself, and thus chose an extra bold move to show everyone she was worth her leadership role.

I'm not sure how she made that dive, but it obviously caught the Automaton completely off guard and it worked surprisingly well.
Against Dwarves fighting with such gruesome efficiency and techniques the Automatons stood no chance. It didn't take long until they were all killed.

27th Felsite
As no more invaders have showed up, it was decided it was time to take care of the elves. This some how got routine by now, so they were all done quick.

1st Hematite
Summer is here. Actually this was a very fast season. Fast in several ways. Not only had we made rather quick progress in various fields, but also in terms of combat. The Automaton ambush looked scary at first, but once it was clear there were only 7 of them, the situation was quickly solved. Beside that there was barely any threat to the fortress this season. The elves were also quickly dealt with. With the new trend of attackers arriving into the first half of the new season we may not yet calm down completely, but it really looks like we are getting some time to rest right now. Maybe they are just preparing... preparing for more.
In the meantime our masons have started a new project. A hospital. It is long overdue, but now finally getting built. We are also planning a cistern underneath to get some clean water. Hopefully that all can be done during the upcoming season. And there are some research projects to be done... Also the dead Automatons had left some interesting parts. Maybe we could make use of those...

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 02:42:44 am »

???
here is to hoping his stats get better once he gets stoned  :P

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 03:43:57 am »

A leaping headbutt to kill an automaton.  I've had dwarves die in many let's play forts.. but never had an actual decent fighter.  I enjoy hearing about my dwarfs crazy fights.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 03:47:49 am »

???
here is to hoping his stats get better once he gets stoned  :P

Actually right now you are more like a stationary trap then a soldier... You can't move at all. Normal dwarf has about 5 times your speed. I had to make you drop the hammer when letting you do some civilian work in between. Should be better after morphing ^^

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 09:10:01 am »

2nd Hematite
Another one bites the (coal) dust was never more fitting then now...

13th Galena
Wow, what a boring season. Actually a lot of small steps have been made, that improved city life, but nothing groundbreaking has happened. Even though some bird was always scaring our researcher, we made some progress. We have built some workshops for chemistry, toolmaking and a coin mint and started work in those. Construction of the hospital is already done, and another floor for scientific tasks is added to the building. Sadly our miners are quite busy and were unable to dig out the cistern yet.  Also we continued our work on some new features of our entrance defense.
Also some guy had made a steeloak cup, but we have stopped caring about those random artifacts. In that case I may interrogate the artist later on, just because his secret love for elves is disturbing.

On the outside there were some Automaton thieves mid summer but nothing worth mentioning had happened with them.

17th Galena
Humans. They sent another caravan. Considering what had happened last year, that's surprising. But  who knows when they will strike back. Maybe that caravan is just spying on our defenses? We better strike first and let no one escape.

18th Galena
Hmm, it looks like their lesson from last time was to just send more. There are more then 50 humans and pack animals in the city right now. Including 15 guards Fighting those could actually turn out to be more dangerous then we thought. But also the reward would be far greater!

23rd Galena
Hunting season has begun. We spotted an Automaton ambush, almost in the same spot as last season. As we are used to attackers around that time, everyone was already prepared. We would let them come...

26th Galena
History repeated. Again they didn't bring any more  then 7 invaders. Again the Automatons were suffering under the fire of axes and javelins. Again they approached the entrance just to be ambushed themselves by our stout militia. Again the fight wasn't fair at all and they were quickly overpowered. Whatever, we won't complain on our enemies going easy on us. There were enough challenges up ahead!

1st Limestone
Summer has ended and no other enemy dared to come close to our city. Our militia is now preparing the assault on the caravan. Again it was a quiet month. But we won't stop. We always have to be ready, for whatever may be out there.

4th Limestone
Today we started pumping water into the cistern. I was told that way the water would be cleaned. Some magic by our mechanics. But the cistern is filling quickly and wells are constructed. Our hospital is now only missing a few traction benches before it is completely functional.

11th Limestone
After some preparation we have finally assaulted the caravan. It was another battle repeating history. Even though they had the better numbers this time, still they were unable to critically hit any of our well trained dwarfs. Their steel armor helped them greatly against our blows, but in the end, time was running against them and they succumbed under the attacks of our militia.

Only one human managed to escape, and their diplomat tried hiding in our dining hall, creating a huge mess, when our bloodthirsty dwarfs dragged him out and slaughtering him right in front of it. Couldn't he chose a better place to make his last stand? The city was now littered with corpses, and we started to clean up. The smelters would run for years now, and we already more then enough steel.

20th Limestone
We have begun construction on a new industry building. The plan says that there will be metal industry on the ground level, stone industry on the the second floor and later various other industries on the third one. Once this is done, we can finally clean up the clutter in our city and make space for more buildings in the center.

4th Sandstone
Tenderroast the weird one has stopped his training in the barracks. Instead he is now sitting around in some sort of altar, studying all the time.
He doesn't talks to anyone, doesn't even go out to grab something to eat or drink... just sitting there over his books. He is really odd.
But the townsfolk has no time to care about him. Right now everyone that has no more important task is hauling, hauling hauling. Some dwarve genius has built some new kind of stockpiles in the new industry hall. With the help of minecarts items are stockpiled in a way that requires almost no space... Don't ask me how that works. It may prove really useful in the future. But right now it just keeps everyone busy, because all the stuff lying around has to be hauled there.

25th Sandstone
Watson was always working on his archaeology. But there was nothing new or impressive all that time in his finds. Until today. He found what we, and especially the miners and me had desired all that time.

A rare jewel called blood of armok. It is supposed to be a source of magma!This may power our forges! No more coal would be needed in future! No more losses of dwarven lives to that black dust! The miners were celebrating and I was already thinking how to plan out our new forges. That would be glorious!

18th Timber
The dwarven caravan has arrived! Again the merchants arrived before any invaders. Times were changing. And it seems there is a high demand for our goods. Again more then 50 dwarves and packanimals arrived. An endless convoy streamed into the city. But Mosey put on a worrisome face. Would there be enough haulers to actually bring all our goods to the depot? Because everyone was still busy with those new stockpiles. And this would probably remain like that for another couple of month until everything was cleared up.

24th Timber
Still no enemies. Where are they? Are they hidden somewhere? Or are they scared? It looks like out of boredom our jeweler decided to make a barrel out of an amethyst. Yes, only an amethyst. Nothing else! Not sure how that's possible. Whatever...

1st Moonstone
Beside some Kobold and Goblin thieves no one else was spotted. That is the first time for 2 years. In general this year there weren't any major attacks on our fortress. Only 2 minor Automaton ambushes, but nothing else. Did they lose interest in us?
But right now with everyone busy we don't miss those uninvited guests. We found some haulers for the depot and can trade soon, hopefully. The stockpiles will take longer. The amount of items in the wrong place is endless. But once we are done, we will have an wonderful clean city. Our goal for the winter is to slowly move our metal and stone industry to the new building but there is still some work to do for our masons.

OOC: Right now there are quantum stockpiles for cloth/leather,wood, bars, blocks and weapons/armor/ammo. This alone are 5000 items to be hauled. Easy way to keep a 180 dwarf fortress busy. (not like there wouldn't be enough normal work...)
Also action/contentwise this update seems like this was a boring period, but tbh I'm very satisfied with the progress. There was a lot of advances in research (magical and normal) and the new industry hall with it's QSP is finally allowing me to restructure this mess of a city. Once this is done I can finally launch more building projects. (Mosey really needs more then his 4 tile wooden hut he has since year 1 ^^)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 07:35:48 pm »

15th Moonstone
So no enemies this time. I'm fine with it. Mosey traded with the caravan today. He sold the mostly ragged clothes and other loot, worth almost 20000 Urists. In return he got 3 bars. And a cage.

I'm scared. I already see the whole city burning. But Watson also tried t convince me, it would be possible to use those with minimal risk. But would you believe a mad scientist who is hoarding megabeast souls?

12th Opal
Tenderroast finally left the altar today.

And immediatetly went on to grabbing various items and brought them to the altar again. If he would at least make some nice artifact. But no... he says he is studying magic... Let's see what that will bring us.
OOC: Actually he gets stuck on all kind of things like drinking, eating, having breaks and parties... will take some time until he continues...

2nd Obsidian
We spotted a desert titan.

Maybe this was the reason, why there were no invaders last season? Maybe the titan had taken down all those trying to get to us? Anyway, what happened back then wasn't important now. Important was to be prepared for battle! What made our situation a bit more difficult was the fact, that just in that moment the caravan decided to leave. Maybe they thought about running from the titan, but surely staying in town would have been the safer option. But then we noticed something strange. The titan was melting. What was happening here?

OOC: bugged material titans are anticlimactic :(

3rd Obsidian.
The titan spotted a goblin thief. Trying to chase it down, it ran straight through a murky pool. What happened then no one was able to explain. The titan just disappeared, leaving behind a small pool of some yellow liquid. What was that? It was strange, and no one of us could understand, but for most it didn't matter. They were happy that the titan was gone. How it happened wasn't important to them.

14th Obsidian
A Frost giant thief! Looks like they are back.
But a single Frost giant is no threat to our city. Lenz and his men quickly incapacitated the thief and then had some time to practice on the immobile giant, while sitting in their nicely protected bastion.

15th Obsidian
With the Frost giant gone, the Drow decided to give us a visit. Their spiders are scary. When they met a single Kobold on their way in, suddenly the whole area was webbed.

22nd Obsidian
Another Frost giant thief got taken down by the Marksdwarves, while one of their masterthieves successfully manged to get into the blind spot of the bastion. Just to face all the drakes and guardians there. While being surely stronger then each of these, he had not much chance, being outnumbered 30 to 1.
And so we are still waiting for a worty opponent for our new defenses. Until then they will remain hidden behind the floodgates. We are not intrested in grilling some random thief and accidently burning down the whole area or even the city. For that reason we also decided to pave the whole entrancepath. If there is ever a fire on the outside, at least, so we hope, it won't spread into the city.

1st Granite
And the fifth year is over. Mosey gave me a paper containing some keyfacts about our fortress.

We had continued to grow. On a relative scale this was probably the most peaceful year we had. We had no serious warlock encounters, and only a couple Frost giant thieves during winter and 2 half hearted Automaton ambushes early in the year. The titan, that wanted to attack us, dissolved by itself. So with this year lacking military events, it made up for it with the civil progress. We have a mage in training right now, had several general research breakthroughs and our masons did a very good job. When we had used about 4900 blocks for construction in the 4 years before, alone during the last year more then 2600 blocks were added to the fortress. The construction workers have completely finished the outer wall and the bastions, added two turret platforms near our entrance, built a hospital with a cistern and are already done with the first floor of the new industry complex. The new stockpiles will require some more hauling work to be done, but the restructuring of the city is going at full speed right now.
The only setback was that we lost our blood of armok gem. Some overzealous jeweler cut it into shape. He said he had orders to do so, but  no one wants to take the blame for that. Guess we have to dig deeper to find some natural ones. 

For later records I have also prepared a few sketches regarding our city layout.
First is the northern half of our fortress on ground level.

To the right are the new altars and our hospital. Also you can see the pumps, that filled the cistern below the hospital from the murky pool in the top right.
To the left is the new metal industry area and the new stockpiles. For now there are stockpiles for bars, blocks, leather/cloth, wood, armor/weapons/ammo. Later we will add a stone stockpile, but this would overtask our haulers right now.
On the top there a the two new turret platforms. They are hidded behind fortifications and floodgates, unreachable for any enemy on the outside. The floodgates can be lowered with a single lever. This is to prevent accidental friendly fire/bush fires when random animals and thieves show up.
Another measure to prevent eventual fires spreading into the city is the pavement of the entrance road. This should be completed within a week or two.

Next sketch is showing one level above the previous one.

We moved all stone related workshops to this (not yet completed) floor of the industry building. The second floor of the hospital now houses some general workplaces for our scientists.

Last picture shows our town center.

With most workshops and buildings gone, all that need to be done is the removal of all the items on the floor before major construction can be started. Those temporary wooden buildings for dormitory and Moseys hut will be razed to make some more space. The trade area will also receive some overhauls.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:59 am »

now that he has gotten stoned, is he stronger?

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 02:25:55 am »

stats get rerolled with every transformaton, so yes... But since those are not the final ones I didn't bother with posting those

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 02:58:11 am »

just make sure you run the right reaction to get the next tier. i made the mistake 1 time of running hte tier 1 reaction on the same dwarf 5 times. was wondering why he wasnt changing, then realized my mistake.... such a huge waste of materials.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 01:45:19 pm »

23rd Granite
The year began slowly. Except for a bunch of thieves and some migrants we didn't see meet anyone. The second floor of the industry hall is finally completed, but with all the haulers being busy, the masons have to bring the stone boulders to the workshops by themselves, which slowed down our block production. This is a serious bottleneck right now.
Another slowmover has finally decided to go back to his work today.

It took him almost half a year to continue his studies. I hope he is faster in battle then he is right now. I still doubt this magic nonsense somehow. Nothing is more dealdy then some well forged steel battle axe.
Also i started production of several more steel armorsets. Goal is to bring every soldier in the fort in steel armor, even the ranged weaponry users. With the abundance of steel from the humans we can easily afford that. Also it will make the equipment managment much easier then it is right now with 3 different armorsets. Next step will be a weapon overhaul. Most soldiers have named their weapons, but some are still using terrible material weapons. Sentiments should not affect our combat efficiency and thus there will be some changes!

2nd Slate
Watson is into archaeology yet again. Besides tons of coins he also found a tear of armok. Not what we were hoping for, but still useful! So we won't need that pump system for the cistern anymore. We will make the required adjustments to the design of it at some point, but for now it will stay like it is. I just hope Watson brings me another blood of armok...

16th Slate
Some creatures are able to learn. Elves are not part of that those. Another caravan, again almost no guards(well 3, instead of the usual 2), again an easy prey for our soldiers. The only reason we would not kill them right away was the fact, that we didn't wan't too much blood on our newly paved entrance road.

17th Slate
Operation 'Kill the pointy eared' has been delayed. Usually there would be stuff like Goblins and Automatons arriving around that time. But today we got a very special guest.

And it looks like this one won't melt under the sun. But at least with 3 eyes our javalineers have one more target to aim at.
Luckily we expected guests around this time anyway, so everyone was already prepared for battle.

18th Slate
So the titan found 2 new friends. He is now fooling around with two dwarven traders (yeah, those migrant scarecrows). At least we can have a look, if his spittle has any bad consequences. Oh, did I mention they are playing right below the bastion with our axethrowers?

19th Slate
They were playing around nicely, then the titan took a throwing axe to the knee. He is now limping towards the entrance. Does he know the javalineers are waiting above that one?
Halfway there, he was already badly injured.

Obviously he didn't want to go down without leaving some impact, so now a moleweasel kit had to feel his wrath.
With our marksdwarves distracted an Automaton thief thought, this would be the best timing to sneak into the city. I guess he forgot about the drakes. And the whole militia standing behind them. Noticing his mistake, he decided to take the lesser evil and ran towards the titan. Followed by the drakes. And half of the milita. Since it was too late to call them back now, the remaining soldiers followed their charge.
A javelin took down the thief and so it was only the titan left. Birut, one of our best wrestlers, and kamikazi, the knuckleduster queen, were charging ahead of everyone else.

Each of them wanted to claim that kill for themselves. Or so I thought. Before any of the other soldiers had reached the scene, they had broken any bone the titan had but had not yet tried to do any finishing blow. Just when two hammerdwarves arrived, kamikazi decided to end this. Obviously she had just waited, so more witnesses could see her killing the titan.  Or maybe she had needed the time, to think how to finish off the giant monster in the most memorable way. Obviously killing it with her knuckle duster would have not had enough style, and so she decided to do it with her bare hands. With a single strike to the head she teared through the brain of the titan.

He was gone. All the glory to kamikazi, our brilliant military commander. But I'm still afraid that her bragging mid combat will one day cost her dearly. But this surely was her moment of triumph.

OOC: This wasn't intended but just happened ^^ Lucky considering one named dwarf between a dozen legendaries.

22nd Slate
Our haulers were a bit sceptical about bringing the corpse in. I was told it weights as much as 40 rock boulders or 30 welded wolfram bars. But we now found a volunteer, named Catten.

Oh and Watson found another tear of armok. Who cares about water? Booze and magma is all we need.

27th Slate
Automatons! An ambush. Looks like that thief was just a scout, even though one may say, that he was neither a very talented nor a very successful one.

1st Hematite
The first Automaton has been taken down by our javelineers. Would they again attack us with only half a dozen machines? It looks like learning by experience is really undervalued in this world. The militia prepared for another charge, just in case someone would be still standing by the time they arrive.
In the meantime summer has arrived. Unlike Catten. He has still not made it to the corpse stockpile. Poor guy.

(militia text somehow got moved up a bit... and the other text got moved down... MEH -.- and misspelled the poor guys name)

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:05 pm »

Poor catten. At least he isnt carying my old war hammer as well  :P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:21:52 pm by Tenderroast »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 03:38:25 pm »