Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 174485 times)

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile

Am I the only person still building this bridge?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

has this stalled? is it still active?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

It's been three days.  Relax.  Varnish isn't obligated to update on a daily schedule.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I the only person still building this bridge?

Not anymore.

And yeah, right now the update schedule is "when I can". Hopefully tomorrow!

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been three days.  Relax.  Varnish isn't obligated to update on a daily schedule.

i was just getting nervous. really enjoying the thread, dont really want it to end.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I'm glad you're enjoying it! It's a busy time in my life right now, I am literally one day away from getting a culinary arts certification. Nothing amazing, but I've been working towards it for some time. Anyways! A very very short update, to show that I live))

Around the Fortress, Spring 203, Part One

Now Neo wasn't the only one building the bridge. In fact, it was hard to find a dwarf who wasn't. Neo was, of course, leading the effort, which sometimes involved teaching an animal trainer what a stone block was and why you didn't have to hit it with a training mallet in order to get it to do what you wanted.

The goblins on the bridge watched the small army of novice masons make their way down to the very end, and then watched them return. They hadn't tried to stop them yet. This might have had something to do with the fact that the Soldier and her militia had taken up position around the goblin general, and were getting in some light sparring practice.

"Don't use that adamantine sword like a hammer, Olon! It's light and sharp, right? That means it's meant for slicing and stabbing goblins, not bashing them to bits! Now, show me how you would kill a goblin the right way!"

The goblin general had not spoken for some time now.

Next: More Little Details

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any idea on when the next update is due?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((on monday, I finished my schooling. monday night I started coughing up blood. Tiny heavily medicated updates are all that happen right now.))

Around the Fortress Part Two:

Remalle was deep in the depths. Not the depths of the fortress, but in the depths of a project. It  was probably symbolic of something or other, how deeply he'd become stuck in what he was doing.

Aban had, in her absent-minded way, ordered him to engrave a short history of Oceanbridge somewhere, so that the newly arrived refugees would know exactly what they were in for.

It was the short part he was having trouble with. There was too much to include, and he remembered it all. Every little event; all of the triumphs and disasters. Even the tiny victories, some of which had happened nearly a decade ago.

Maybe it was his memory that was really the problem.

Next: Things.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

((on monday, I finished my schooling. monday night I started coughing up blood. Tiny heavily medicated updates are all that happen right now.))
Oh. Please finish this story before it gets you!
Joke.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That coughing stuff sounds bad.
Get well and ensure that you wear boots next time you'll need to cross a strange pool on floor.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1000 on: December 25, 2012, 02:23:55 am »

That coughing stuff sounds bad.
Get well and ensure that you wear boots next time you'll need to cross a strange pool on floor.
or let the cat go first.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1001 on: December 25, 2012, 04:09:14 am »

Sweet mother of mercy this thing is still going?

Alright, that's fine then. I think it's time for everyone's favorite brewer/speardwarf and survivor of the first fall to come back.

Redorf Balnash whenever you get the chance, varnish. I'll fill in the gaps soon as it's done.

Edit: and I feel kind of like a dick for not saying it in the first time, get well soon!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:49:57 am by IcepickTrotsky »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 25, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »

Sweet mother of mercy this thing is still going?

((I cannot be stopped. I'll get Balnash back in in the next update.))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

And another soldier died of thirst today. I guess that's not really surprising, as we still haven't managed to find any clean water, anywhere! The hospital is empty again, at least.

Shortly after that, one of the dead soldier's friends started throwing a tantrum. (Gods, this is how it always starts). Gar calmed her down with a good solid punch to the face, but she's still not happy. Or rather, she's more unhappy now, what with the broken nose.

Well, whatever! When disaster strikes again, we'll be ready. Gar's still making the finishing touches on his shelter, but that'll be done soon, and we've started construction of a kind of "floating fortress" in the middle of the bridge. Because there's nothing safer than being suspended over an unfathomably deep and wild ocean, filled with murderous fish. I'm serious. Nothing around here is safer than that. That's just what Oceanbridge is like.

Next: Story

((Thanks for the thoughts, people. I'll try to stay alive and sane and writing, though the codeine is making those last parts hard. Woo.)))

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 29, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »

((Just a brief reintroduction))

A New Arrival

"A spearman? Of course we need you! If you've held a weapon before, we need you. Plus, you made it through the hell out there on your own, just to get here? Yeah, you're in the militia. What's your name?"

"Balnash."

"And I'm the Soldier. Yes, that's my name, nothing else. Let me show you around the place."

Balnash shook his head. "Don't need to. I know all about Oceanbridge." With that, he saluted her, and left the barracks.

The Soldier sometimes felt like she was the only dwarf left in the world who hadn't lived in Oceanbridge before.

((Ok, so here's the story bit, following from this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93958.msg3407390#msg3407390. Finally just laying some things out))

Meanwhile, Back in the Future (Part One)

"Follow me, my friends! And mind the waterfall!"

"We are already following you, Wilberforce. And we can't mind the waterfall when it and the stairs are the same damn thing!"

The four dwarfs stumbled down the slick cavern steps as waves of sea water rushed down after them. Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished led the way, followed by Remalle, Neo, and Derm. Above them, Oceanbridge was collapsing.

"Let me explain what we're doing! My theory, " Wilberforce said, shouting to make himself audible over the deluge, "is based on several solid facts, and a lot of guessing."

Neo slipped on a loose step and swore. "Can't this wait until we get to solid ground?" he said.

"No! There may not be any solid ground to find! To continue, we know for a fact that the dead did not begin to rise until the construction of the bridge! We also know that our god Rakust, lord of the dead and so on, also represents the passage between life and death! It is my theory that Rakust, the bridge, and the whole mess we find ourselves in are all now inextricably linked!"

"So... why are we going down here? Aside from the fact that there's no where else safe?"

Wilberforce smiled. "Why, it's simple Neo, my old friend. We're going to talk to Rakust."

They reached the bottom of the stairs.

Another foot high wave of sea water came pouring down after them, where it joined a number of other streams from the upper levels. The water spilled over granite outcrops, snapped ancient stalagmites from the floor as it picked up speed. By the time it reached the center of the huge open chamber where the dwarfs found themselves, it was a river. And the river poured over the lip of a pit, into a pool of magma.

The sound was unbearable.

Neo shouted something to Remalle, who screamed something to Wilberforce, who nodded. The four of them moved into a side tunnel, where the noise was less ear shattering.

"So, you want to talk to Rakust. The God."

"Yes."

"All right. And how do we do that?"

Wilberforce stopped smiling and shrugged. "I'll admit that I'm not sure. Still, I thought it worth a try. We've all talked to the dead before, hell, we've all been dead before! Frankly, there's none more qualified than the four of us to request a meeting with the god of the dead. He'd be rude to turn us down." He stopped. "I... I begin to realize that this may all seem nonsensical to-"

Remalle interrupted. "Actually, no. It makes perfect sense to me. I've seen a lot of things in the time since Oceanbridge was destroyed, and I... and I've heard some things... It might be possible to talk to a god."

Neo, sounding a bit giddy with anxiety, said "Let's try it then. I mean, why not at this point." He turned in the direction of the magma pit and shouted "Hey Rakust! What the hell is your problem?"

It would have surprised most of them if he received an answer of any kind. And it surprised them all when they did, and when the voice came out through Remalle's mouth. (It surprised Remalle most of all, as he found he had no control of his voice, or his body)

"PAIN"

The voice rang out like steel shattering, and both Neo and Derm jumped. Wilberforce was caught off guard as well, but he composed himself and said, "Well! That's our god, then. The monosyllabic one. Sorry about this Remalle, but you seem to have become the, uh, voice of god. Is that all right?"

Remalle didn't answer. "Doesn't look all right," Derm said. "Look at his eyes." Wilberforce did, and immediately regretted it.

However, the voice continued. "TRAPPED, FREED, TRAPPED AND SET FREE AGAIN. WHY? HOW?"

Neo and Wilberforce exchanged a glance. "This is what you wanted, right? You should ask him your questions, and do it quickly, before something horrible happens to Remalle! Something even more horrible, I guess."

"Right! So, first: Is it our bridge that's trapped you, and how? Are you the reason behind the constant attacks we've had to endure since the whole thing started, are you the reason the world is so awful now and lastly," Wilberforce took a deep breath, "How do we fix all of this?"

Remalle, (or Rakust, it wasn't clear whose expression it was) looked confused. "BRIDGE... YES. BROKEN AND RUINED. TRAPPED,. I CALLED FOR HELP, AND IT CAME." Remalle/Rakust looked directly at Wilberforce, his eyes blazing. "I CALLED, AND HELP CAME FOR ME FROM THE NORTH IN BLOOD AND ICE. I AM CALLING FOR HELP NOW. IT WILL COME, LITTLE LIFE..."

Wilberforce looked away, and said, "Yes... well, never mind that for now. Since you do seem capable of speaking in complete questions, I'll ask you again. "How do we fix this? The bridge broke once, and things only got worse, so that's not the only problem. How do we fix whatever went wrong?"

For a long stretch of time, all they could hear was the thundering of the river, and the explosions of steam from the magma pit.

Then Rakust answered. "SACRIFICE"

Next: What Happened Next

((two more long post like this one, and things might finally start to make sense. I hope.))

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 30, 2012, 06:18:40 am »

So, is this happening right before the current reclaim?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 85