Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69

Author Topic: Community Mods and utilities list.  (Read 1190041 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mods and utilities list.
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2009, 08:08:33 pm »

Here is my own mod. It allows anyone to easily and quickly chage the amount of metal generated by any reaction. It also allows anyone to turn ANY stone into ANY metal with the reaction as all metal tags (and the need for them) have been removed. There are some glitches with nickle and some alloys as they apear to be hard coded into the game (ATM)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=659
I normally like to have the mods inside the forum with a clear description on the first forum post.  I will toss it in but if you could make a nice new shiny topic extolling its virtues and what it does, it would help out the people who add it to their game.

Just give the forum link if you do that and I will update it.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2009, 05:53:30 am »

Throw this one in as well. I've altered the modfiles slightly, and managed to compile most of my mods into one pack using Modbase. Includes Martial Arts, Minerals, Dr.More-Oh, and various other bits and pieces.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2009, 12:32:03 pm »

Throw this one in as well. I've altered the modfiles slightly, and managed to compile most of my mods into one pack using Modbase. Includes Martial Arts, Minerals, Dr.More-Oh, and various other bits and pieces.
It's in =)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2009, 01:07:34 pm »

Where?.. oh. What's it doing under miscellaneous? It's as good a mod as any other, except it's actually a pack of mods. ???
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2009, 01:33:58 am »

There's a few mods in wrong places, and the normal 'mods' section is overful. A minor/major mod distinction should clear that up I think.

Maybe think about removing mods that are unfinished and haven't been updated in a long time?

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2009, 06:46:06 pm »

Where?.. oh. What's it doing under miscellaneous? It's as good a mod as any other, except it's actually a pack of mods. ???

Yeah both the mod packs are under Miscellaneous... Someday there may be a subsection for Mod Packs but for now since there are only 2 there they stay under Miscellaneous.

I have considered Major/minor mods before... Actually it was covered in another message in the thread.. Anyhow, there will probably not be a major minor mod section because I do not install every mod and I really do not know how major or minor one is.  I just add them to the list.

I am open to removal of unfinished mods.. Just post the ones that are unfinished and have not been updated in ages and I will remove them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2009, 06:49:54 pm »

I'm against removing any completed old mods that are still compatible with the current version of Dwarf Fortress. Just because a mod hasn't changed doesn't mean anything is wrong with it.

Once the next version of DF comes out I recommend making a separate section for older mods. Some people won't upgrade for a while, or will want to play with older versions of DF, and having the mod list still available would be handy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »

I'm against removing any completed old mods that are still compatible with the current version of Dwarf Fortress. Just because a mod hasn't changed doesn't mean anything is wrong with it.

Once the next version of DF comes out I recommend making a separate section for older mods. Some people won't upgrade for a while, or will want to play with older versions of DF, and having the mod list still available would be handy.

Yeah don't worry, I had no plans on removing completed mods just ones that are not finished that have not been updated. (I actually don't think there are any like that but just in case there are)

IF the next version makes all the current mods incompatible I plan on putting the ones that wont work under a heading of 40d mods.   If not I will just add the new mods in with the current ones.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2009, 11:28:37 pm »

fair enough. I'm not sure the dark dwarves mod should really be sitting in total conversions however: It changes less about the game than, say, legendary lands. Probably on par with dwarf fortress complete in terms of added graphics/content.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2009, 12:44:44 pm »

fair enough. I'm not sure the dark dwarves mod should really be sitting in total conversions however: It changes less about the game than, say, legendary lands. Probably on par with dwarf fortress complete in terms of added graphics/content.

Hrm....

I suppose someday I will need to do something about them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2009, 12:38:30 pm »

You are not supposed to do anything to them. If the author asks, do it :D.
I mean, seriously, most mods feature author's graphics and tweaks, and it doesn't show where they belong to. I've played Dark Dwarves and it's the same Dwarf Fortress with different contents, I mean I feel like I live in the same world, just with more things and features.

As Blakmane said, it's on par with my DFCP (lol Blakmane, I have 30-40 Kb more :P) in terms of gameplay.

Also add DiG DeepeR to the list.

P.S. Even Kobolds Camp feels more like a total conversion... Unless the mod introduces a totally new world/universe it's not a total conversion (and the fact how much it adds means nothing... well, besides the fact that it's a good mod :)).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:41:24 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2009, 01:16:44 am »

Thanks Deon! I'd love for you to add Dwarf Fortress: Dig Deeper to the list.

Here's the link: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

The mod aims to expand upon vanilla game-play and make things more challenging in general. It tries to add variance in a plausible but not always realistic way. The full README is available at the other side of the link. Please don't be too harsh on my opening post I'm going to change it soon.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2009, 11:20:14 am »

Just a quick note about Mono... yes, it will allow most .NET utilities to run on Linux /OS X.  However, since DF doesn't have a true API, all interaction has to be done via direct memory reads/writes.  Those will absolutely not work correctly unless the program has been specifically updated to recognize an ELF binary compiled by gcc, vs. a PE binary compiled by VC++.  AFAIK there aren't any of those yet.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2009, 05:35:57 pm »

You are not supposed to do anything to them. If the author asks, do it :D.
I mean, seriously, most mods feature author's graphics and tweaks, and it doesn't show where they belong to. I've played Dark Dwarves and it's the same Dwarf Fortress with different contents, I mean I feel like I live in the same world, just with more things and features.

As Blakmane said, it's on par with my DFCP (lol Blakmane, I have 30-40 Kb more :P) in terms of gameplay.

P.S. Even Kobolds Camp feels more like a total conversion... Unless the mod introduces a totally new world/universe it's not a total conversion (and the fact how much it adds means nothing... well, besides the fact that it's a good mod :)).

GAH that one mod has caused me more hassles..   

Yeah the author wanted to be in a different category... I still need to do something with them.. But that will be a different day.. for now they are on the list that's all that matters.

Thanks Deon! I'd love for you to add Dwarf Fortress: Dig Deeper to the list.

Here's the link: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

The mod aims to expand upon vanilla game-play and make things more challenging in general. It tries to add variance in a plausible but not always realistic way. The full README is available at the other side of the link. Please don't be too harsh on my opening post I'm going to change it soon.

Allright, I will get that added to the list

Just a quick note about Mono... yes, it will allow most .NET utilities to run on Linux /OS X.  However, since DF doesn't have a true API, all interaction has to be done via direct memory reads/writes.  Those will absolutely not work correctly unless the program has been specifically updated to recognize an ELF binary compiled by gcc, vs. a PE binary compiled by VC++.  AFAIK there aren't any of those yet.

Just heard it talked about somewhere,I was concerned it wouldn't work, just didn't have any way to test it.   I will scrub it from the list then.

And Sorry about my absence all, I have been away because my network address translation machine's IDE controller flaked out and scrambled things going in and out from it.  It was only a rare error (1 every 1000 reads/writes or so)so it took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on... And it corrupted my old OS.. so I had to replace the controller and reformat the drive in order to get things working again.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:38:55 pm by profit »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2009, 07:19:33 pm »

I finished my Clown mod:  http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34420.0

It allows players with a fear of clowns to conquer that fear.  Or possibly instill that fear in those that didn't have it in the first place.  Either way, it allows for more fun.

Oh, and this seems a good mod to add to the list:
Assorted silliness mod
That one takes some DF jokes and builds on them, as well as adding some stuff that's just generally silly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:23:08 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69