Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651808 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The Sun (and Moon) Rises
« Reply #5835 on: December 17, 2016, 07:14:28 pm »

Yeah, there's no way to tell if it has good IVs until after you catch it... Unlike ORAS where there it's displayed whether or not a Pokemon on the map has 1-3 guaranteed perfect IVs. I figure the best thing you can do is get a Ditto to Lv.100, use Hyper Training to max its IVs, then breed the slime with anything you can.
Hyper Training IVs don't get passed on. The original IVs are still stored by the game for determining Breeding results and Hidden Power

That blows. I was counting on that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: December 17, 2016, 08:49:58 pm »

Yeah, there's no way to tell if it has good IVs until after you catch it... Unlike ORAS where there it's displayed whether or not a Pokemon on the map has 1-3 guaranteed perfect IVs. I figure the best thing you can do is get a Ditto to Lv.100, use Hyper Training to max its IVs, then breed the slime with anything you can.
Hyper Training IVs don't get passed on. The original IVs are still stored by the game for determining Breeding results and Hidden Power

That blows. I was counting on that.

Yeah, that sure is quite the dick move.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: December 17, 2016, 09:23:07 pm »

Okay, here's something I don't get.

Once a Pokemon hits level 100...what's the point of maxing IVs? They can't gain any more stats at that point unless I'm seriously missing something, which to my understanding means that giving them greater potential is entirely pointless.

If they could pass on that greater potential via breeding I could see the appeal...but that is apparently not the case. Why isn't Hyper Training available at, say, level 75 so that you have time to take advantage of those newly maxed stats?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: December 17, 2016, 09:31:39 pm »

Okay, here's something I don't get.

Once a Pokemon hits level 100...what's the point of maxing IVs? They can't gain any more stats at that point unless I'm seriously missing something, which to my understanding means that giving them greater potential is entirely pointless.

If they could pass on that greater potential via breeding I could see the appeal...but that is apparently not the case. Why isn't Hyper Training available at, say, level 75 so that you have time to take advantage of those newly maxed stats?
It's because the calculation of a Pokemon's stats is no longer conducted solely at level-up.  They used to be, which is likely what you're remembering, but in Gen 5, GF realized that this made it impossible for Level 100 Pokemon to gain EVs, and they thus changed the system so that stats are recalculated at more pertinent areas (such as after each battle or after, if I recall properly, EV-altering effects such as berries, juice, or training bags are applied).  As such, changing your Pokemon's IVs and EVs still changes their stats, even at level 100, and Hyper Training is not completely worthless.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: December 17, 2016, 09:40:10 pm »

O_O

Well then. TI fuggin L. Guess those level 100 event giveaway mons aren't completely worthless after all if you can actually train them somewhat.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: December 18, 2016, 04:22:37 am »

Indeed! Same goes for your starters if they have a good nature. Which, is extremely nice since usually they become box fodder.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: December 18, 2016, 04:29:39 am »

Though I am not EXACTLY a fan of them if only because you don't REALLY get to use them :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: December 18, 2016, 06:36:06 am »

Indeed! Same goes for your starters if they have a good nature. Which, is extremely nice since usually they become box fodder.

Maybe for you, but my Primarina has been pulling some Katara-esque badassery the entire game.

Though I am not EXACTLY a fan of them if only because you don't REALLY get to use them :P
*tries to bring event legendary Pokemon into endgame arena*
BANNED

ORAS' Rayquaza is even worse. Super powerful(even before its horribly OP Mega-Evolution), but there's literally one battle in the game where you can actually use it when it counts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: December 18, 2016, 07:24:22 am »

Ah! Should specify. After the main game, my Starters aren't used as much. But with something like this, all that is needed is a good nature and love for your starter to still be competitive online!
BIRDS.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: December 18, 2016, 10:20:07 am »

And a heck of a lot of bottle caps. Something I haven't seen hide nor hair of in-game, save for the one Magearna is holding.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: December 18, 2016, 12:20:18 pm »

You trade shards for them with a man in the back of the festival plaza castle
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: December 18, 2016, 02:26:14 pm »

The starters are actually pretty damn good though! Incineroar especially comes to mind, with its wallbreaking signature move, slow u-turns, access to leech life, high bulk made even better by its hidden ability Intimidate, and a decent-ish typing that renders it only weak to Rock, Ground, Water and Fighting. It's quite versatile; it can do an assault vest setup with Intimidate and base 95/90/90 defenses, which are quite good, especially when buffed by Assault Vest and Intimidate, making it bulky as all hell, plus still able to heal using Leech Life!

It can do some crazy Life Orb stuff, it can do defensive builds reasonably well, it can act as a wallbreaker.

Its offenses are fairly decent too; 115 Attack and 90 Spatk are pretty good, you can even run a mixed or special set with Incineroar as it has access to Nasty Plot, or patch up its speed with Flame Charge.
It's horrendously slow at 60 base speed, but then this generation is as a whole, it would seem.

Primarina is good, though not as good. Decent typing, counterpart to Azumarill, but special; though nowhere near as much offensive power. It can do special tanking too, though its defense is kinda low (74) vs 116 sp.def.
Like Incineroar, Primarina is slow as shit. 60 base speed. It also can't last as long as the heel cat, as it lacks access to recovery options.

Decidueye can function as a spinblocker and pivot quite well. Its stats are balanced, with 78/75/100 defenses and 107/100/70 offenses. It is faster than the other two starters, but not by much, at base 70 speed. It has access to reliable recovery in Roost, naturally gets U-Turn, and access to hazard removal in Defog. It has also got just barely high enough stats to function as a sweeper too, with access to Sucker Punch, Leaf Blade and Swords Dance. It can also, like Incineroar, run a mixed or a special set as it has access to Nasty Plot, though it has far less coverage options on the special side.

It can even stall semi reliably, with defenses comparable to Zapdos (90/85/90), resistance to Electric vs Zapdos' neutrality to it, and both having access to Roost.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:43:51 pm by Reudh »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: December 18, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »

Makes it good for a Trick Room set!

Also, another good source of Bottle Caps is lottery gambling. I have converted a large portion of my Festival Plaza into lottery centers and have since received 5 Caps. It makes me happy.
BIRDS.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: December 18, 2016, 03:23:35 pm »

I only play in-game stuff, but I noticed in the in-game Battle Royal Slower, higher-hp Pokemon have a sort-of advantage, just give them any priority move they can learn and let the others whittle themselves down then tag the lowest-hp with your priority and you get the KO point.
---Or so in the in-game AI used against me to pretty much 2-turn all three of my pokemon.

This could explain why this generation if full of slower, more-hp pokemon, as that proved to be an effective strategy when i used it in the in-game Royal too.

I realize In-game is totally different than Competitive Meta, but...my point is this:
Gamefreak may've wanted to focus more on the Royal's gameplay when making sure stats and etc were set, which would explain the higher-hp and lower-speed focus this gen.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: December 18, 2016, 04:31:24 pm »

Makes it good for a Trick Room set!

Also, another good source of Bottle Caps is lottery gambling. I have converted a large portion of my Festival Plaza into lottery centers and have since received 5 Caps. It makes me happy.

Eh, kinda. 60 is a little on the high side for Trick Room, especially if you're trying to break walls. Vikavolt probably would benefit more, with its obscene sp.atk and pathetic speed.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 463