Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1168613 times)

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2055 on: September 01, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »

have you seen the movie gremlins? toady keeps the population low so they dont do all that.

on a side note, it would be !!FUN!! to see them reproduce with water

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: September 01, 2011, 04:02:37 pm »

Toady is back YEAH!

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: September 01, 2011, 07:29:54 pm »

i was more putting that there for in case someone(who didn't know what they were talking about) tried to tell me otherwise.

i do get that a lot

Sort of asking for it with that username.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:34 pm »

Yikes, hope Threetoe feels better.

Edit addition: I REALLY hope I didn't just develop psychic powers.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:47:59 am by Neonivek »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: September 02, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »

Re: Bay12 Report

Wow, that was a pretty good Autumn for no release- still fallout from that NY Times article, you think?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: September 02, 2011, 04:27:21 pm »

Wow, that was a pretty good Autumn for no release- still fallout from that NY Times article, you think?

Well Dwarf Fortress has been making more money over time. Though yeah the Newyork article was likely the cause of that burst.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: September 02, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »

Well Dwarf Fortress has been making more money over time. Though yeah the Newyork article was likely the cause of that burst.

Oh my, I just realized I typed "Autumn" instead of "August"- I think I need to take a breather from DF.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2062 on: September 03, 2011, 07:52:31 am »

Oh my, I just realized I typed "Autumn" instead of "August"- I think I need to take a breather from DF.

At least you didn't type Galena instead of August.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

kasan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: September 04, 2011, 08:43:09 am »

Nah, the butchered bones animate by themselves (as separate objects), so the skeletons are headless if you animate them from a butchery (or otherwise).  Skulls themselves are an odd case, because they don't have teeth or even a head flag, so they don't animate, and they don't get lumped with the other bones.  You still get skeletons properly from heavily rotted zombies.  It has to understand the relationship between teeth and a skull before the basic animation will work right, and then there's the skull's relationship to the spine that needs to be worked out.  In many cases, even if the skull and other bones are detached, you'd still want them to animate together, and that might just take some kind of structural grouping tag for the animation effect.

Since animating a skull by itself isn't possible to create a skeleton, would it to be possible to animate a skull into a different form of critter/unit type?

When I read this, it made me think of Morte the skull from Planescape: Torment, which in turn made me think of http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53316 (which is a mini non-combat pet in that game for those unfamiliar).

With that being said, would it be possible to implement a reanimation of parts as pets that are unsuitable for Zombies or Skeletons?  I'm semi clueless as to how the internals of DF work so I might be suggesting the not feasible with out major code rewrites here.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2064 on: September 04, 2011, 12:01:20 pm »

Well, that ties into an interesting concept. You can't animate a skull, since it's not enough of a creature's remains to simply be that creature with a template applied, and anyway. However, it seems reasonable that a new  it wouldn't be able to move. It does make sense for necromancers to be able to assemble "strange" undead out of parts that don't have the normal rules applied. Perhaps a "floating skull" creature instead of "Urist Bonebreaker's Skeleton" consisting of just a head.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: September 04, 2011, 12:21:25 pm »

The just-a-head style of reanimated creature would make sense from a role-playing perspective. Say you're a necromancer on a quest to learn all the secrets of the gods. So, you end up decapitating a magically endowed priest or whatever. "Oh no," you might say,"How ever shall I learn the secret now? OH WAIT." At this point you reanimate the head of the priest and trap his soul within it. Bent to your will, the priest has no choice but to give to you his secret.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2066 on: September 04, 2011, 03:02:55 pm »

The just-a-head style of reanimated creature would make sense from a role-playing perspective. Say you're a necromancer on a quest to learn all the secrets of the gods. So, you end up decapitating a magically endowed priest or whatever. "Oh no," you might say,"How ever shall I learn the secret now? OH WAIT." At this point you reanimate the head of the priest and trap his soul within it. Bent to your will, the priest has no choice but to give to you his secret.

You know, I imagine my dwarves reanimating my legendary armorcrafter and have his eyeless skull instruct newbie armorcrafter on how to make decent shields...

And if we take it to extreme, building whole galery of legendary teachers. Sometimes by arranging unfortunate accidents.

Head museums, just like from futurama. Except that our heads are undead monstrosities.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: September 04, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »

Will there be a way to become a leader of a civ in adventure/fort mode?

And maybe a possible 'marrage/family' system in adventure mode?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: September 04, 2011, 05:25:03 pm »

Its a goal, but I dont think we're anywhere near being able to do that.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: September 05, 2011, 12:05:14 am »

It has been an explict dev goal:
Quote from: dev_single
# AFFILIATION ARC: You should be able to rise to the top of an entity (civilization, town, etc.) in adventure mode. While the full set of responsibilities that would entail will have to wait, it should at least be possible to attain this status for the first version. You should be able to do things for individuals. This could earn you favors from sleeping in their home and food gifts all the way to a marriage offer. There can be smaller entities like bandits and cults which could offer more unsavory tasks for similar privileges (steal, kill, kidnap, etc.). Can earn right to sleep in the large hall in town if you've become affiliated with them, but vagrancy needs to be punished and the camping must be harsher before this is meaningful.

# RELATIONSHIPS ARC: You should be able to take a spouse, make a household, and create playable heirs as an adventurer. The dwarven relationships and personalities can also be expanded upon.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 298