Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How to disable and defeat a charging horse using a spear or alternatives  (Read 11488 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you know, dwarves kinda strike me as the chaotic barbarian style of fighters, using brutally skilled and determined individual fighters.

humans strike me as the kind that would use mass organized armies and such.

elves strike me as using ambush and harrasement to wear down armies before using their impressive war beasts. (you really gonna stand and fight against a charge of giant tiger riding bowmen?)

currently it seems the plans are to move dwarves towards a more ordered approach, this is good.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile

I would draw steel into a 1/2 inch rod (if I cannot into cable) set to be pulled taut at a height of 5 feet by the wieght of a partialy fallen tree. Opposite end would be secured by ground anchor. The rod/ cable should have many blades hammer-welded to it so that once the front of the charge starts to tangle in it it is released from the ground anchor so that the now falling tree will pull the bladed rod through the tangled mess of horse-flesh and men.

good times

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

or for normal people,
you stand there with a spear and some one shoots them with a bow or throw stuff at them.
the idea that a horses will blindy run at a wall of pointy things is crazy.

a horse will charge lone fighters or a small gap if it thinks it can do so safey.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-

a horse will charge lone fighters or a small gap if it thinks it can do so safey.

people ignoring this is bothering me quite a lot too. a horse can be trained to trample some people and to not be afraid of things it doesnt need to be afraid of, but one will never succeed in training a horse to run blindly into what is perceived to be an impassable obstacle. no animal will ever run into a solid non-transparent wall nor into things its mind identifies with a wall.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought you were supposed to have a lance/long spear of your own, the butt of which you place in a way to not just sink into the earth at impact of charging horse?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Camels.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The idea that a horses will blindy run at a wall of pointy things is crazy.

Blinders.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use a flamethrower dude. That'll teach 'em.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blinders.

those are used to stop the horse from getting distracted by things on the sides. the animals can always see whats in front of them. completely blinding the horse can only be done when you lead it around some flat surfaces. riding a completely blind horse on a battlefield will only lead to both, horse and rider, falling to the ground even without enemy influence.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Blinders.

those are used to stop the horse from getting distracted by things on the sides. the animals can always see whats in front of them. completely blinding the horse can only be done when you lead it around some flat surfaces. riding a completely blind horse on a battlefield will only lead to both, horse and rider, falling to the ground even without enemy influence.

Ah, mixed police horses up with war horses.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the mongols had a tactic of gashing a horses side to cause it to run in a panic, then pretty much guiding it into the enemy lines. However, that tactic tends to reduce the lifespan of your horse a good bit eh?

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a problem with the horses we have at re-enactment shows. Most of them are polo horses.

Not exactly the fearsome destriers of times gone by.

But getting horses to charge a shieldwall of dwarves will only have to be considered if formations are implemented. Otherwise, DF battles will play out more like skirmishes rather than scaled battles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Well the mongols had a tactic of gashing a horses side to cause it to run in a panic, then pretty much guiding it into the enemy lines. However, that tactic tends to reduce the lifespan of your horse a good bit eh?
Well if this is a horse being led by a mongol, you'd be better off just digging a hole in the ground and never, ever returning to the open surface.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well if this is a horse being led by a mongol, you'd be better off just digging a hole in the ground and never, ever returning to the open surface.
lol

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From what I know of cavalry tactics, horses would sometimes charge the line multiple times before it broke, once a line breaks they pretty much just spend the rest of the time running their opponents down.

A 19 foot pike would do well to stop a horse though. A 7 foot one wouldn't
May the mass times acceleration be with you
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4