Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348]

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 497638 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #5205 on: April 24, 2024, 11:58:46 am »

Anyone here familiar with Heroic Games Launcher or Lutris? Been trying to play Battle Brothers on my Linux computer but strangely, while I can install the game using both Heroic and Lutris, I can't run it through the launcher.

However, I can run the game by going into the game files and running its executable. I'm not sure why that is, but I'd prefer to be able to simply run the game through the launcher(s).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: Today at 03:55:33 am »

When you set up your lutris container, did you specify the path for the executable?

Like how I have New Vegas set up here?

This tells the launcher what context to execute from.  Without that context, the launcher might fail to find the game executable, or fail to find game assets. Many games need this "Working folder" location specified, or they just dont work.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: Today at 09:11:58 pm »

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how to diagnose bottlenecks in my home network/backup system (my backup NAS had some issues, so I have to re-baseline my backups from 4 machines...).

Trying to copy files from one computer to another for backup, using both SMB and just rsync over SSH, I'm getting peak transfer rates of only like 6MByte/s.  Average rate is more like 2MB/s.

This makes no sense to me, since I can download stuff "from the internet" at around 100MB/s, so I know it's not either my WiFi or my hard disk - they can handle much faster rates (at least on the destination computer).  I even switched the laptop from WiFi (100MBit+) to its 1GBit hardline, but that doesn't seem to be helping much.

I am copying from an older laptop, so old it's battery is completely dead, so it's running only on wall power.  Perhaps the old computer is throttling itself because of no battery? I really can't tell, but it's taking ages.

I'm almost ready to go buy a chassis to use the HDD in the old computer (it is an SSD, so shouldn't be the limit?) as an external drive.  I don't really want to wait 5 hours to copy the remaining 37GB, which is what it would take at an average of 2MB/s...

I am thinking of using one of my routers to try and go hardline to hardline, but it doesn't feel like a bandwidth issue...
« Last Edit: Today at 09:20:21 pm by McTraveller »
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348]