Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How would DF work as a MMO?  (Read 9449 times)

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How would DF work as a MMO?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 11:05:00 am »

For an MMO similar to DF, I would imagine people playing in both fortress mode (controlling a civilization) and adventurer mode (controlling an individual) where the adventurers aren't controlled by the fortress.
So you would have random people visiting your fortress trying to buy (or steal) your *iron hammers*, kill your dwarves, or kidnap your children.
It would also be rather dangerous to visit unfamiliar fortresses, since the goal of fortress mode for some people would be to increase your wealth, and dead adventurers would be a decent source of raw materials.

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Try "Darwinbots" </STRONG>

<<abyaly

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »

I think a classical 'small group' multiplayer type game again AI sieges or against another small group's fortress would be far more fun than a full-on MMO. :> Much more cohesion.

Blargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://No...
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vengeful Donut:
<STRONG>For an MMO similar to DF, I would imagine people playing in both fortress mode (controlling a civilization) and adventurer mode (controlling an individual) where the adventurers aren't controlled by the fortress.
So you would have random people visiting your fortress trying to buy (or steal) your *iron hammers*, kill your dwarves, or kidnap your children.
It would also be rather dangerous to visit unfamiliar fortresses, since the goal of fortress mode for some people would be to increase your wealth, and dead adventurers would be a decent source of raw materials.

<<abyaly</STRONG>

Actually, MMO DF mode would be incredibly cool! Imagine making a fortress with a bunch of friends and allies, competing to be the best/richest/most well defended in the land. All skills could have normal levels, but would also incorporate player skill somehow. Of course, this is allready being done, but with humies. Age of Conan

quot;Wise men often quote other wise men. The wisest quote themselves."

- Blargh (2007)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 04:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>The "freedom" (read: freedom to get spawncamped from the first minute untill you quit) that uo gave is why it has 100k subscribtion and wow has 9 million.

Making the df mmo anything like the first will just result in attracting the same assholes that made uo unplayable.</STRONG>

Looks like I didn't miss anything by not paying for Ultima Online. From the looks of it I'm not missing anything much from not playing World of Warcraft either. Guild Wars was a big waste of money, dito on Neverwinter Nights 2... I've been wondering if I'm the only one who still takes "RPG" to mean role playing game. It's pretty lonely out here, at least...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 04:32:00 am »

Yeah, even The Elder Scrolls is going the way of the pretty lights and colours and no substance; I fear what TES5 is going to be like.  Eventually all of these half-assed attempts at games are actually going to cause shootings.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 04:34:00 am »

For a MMO whit REAL actual rollplay, I would recommend cantr, not a lot of eyecandy, but a DF:er does not care about that, right?
It is also free, kind of like DF actuary, except it has almost no gameplay, In the traditional sens that is, because the players are the players makes the gameplay by rollplay. I actually herd the maker being accused foe laisynes because he made the players make is game for him, it actually more of a social experiment than a game.
Check it out yourself, for my sake (almost said "for gods sake").
Be warned however it is slooooooow paised.

(WHY.CAN'T.I.SPELLL!  :mad: )

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Yeah, even The Elder Scrolls is going the way of the pretty lights and colours and no substance; I fear what TES5 is going to be like.  Eventually all of these half-assed attempts at games are actually going to cause shootings.</STRONG>

You mean like Oblivion already was? Yea, I could go with some shooting. Not that it'd solve any problems, but getting some frustration out might be fun. I'm considering taking up target shooting with a crossbow for sport. Maybe I could make some cardboard cutout goblins to bring to the range...

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

Ouch, not feeling the love.

Then again, I would have to agree..  I haven't seen anything really attractive about MMOs, simply because they have in common two things:

One.  What you get does not depend on how the larger organization, (game, fort, team, etc) is running,

And two, it's about what you have, not how you use it that counts.  The first thing to think about before any kind of multiplayer DF, is how can we avoid levelling, and how can we force co-operation and competition?

[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: Devastator ]

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Devastator:

And two, it's about what you have, not how you use it that counts.  The first thing to think about before any kind of multiplayer DF, is how can we avoid levelling, and how can we force co-operation and competition?

[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: Devastator ][/QB]

This is why i want a shared for a group that only the group can manage. Not a single idiot charging in and destroy everything.
I think it would be to much work to actualy be "one dwarf" and make the fortress together. I rather see a possibility to give orders maybe with diffrent focuses so some are easier to influense dwarves under there area of expertise.

For adventure mode, that would be cool but it's to easy to level it all to hell. Then i would rather allow the players to make a custom hero at kinda high level. Don't have the posibility to level up and be easly killed. The only thing they can do is get gold and buy equipment. Maybe make the level up economy/item based so they have to work for better "stats". For cooperation... i bet a humen by your side will beat a army of drunks anytime on any quest. Using the DF world on a kick ass server i bet you can annhilate spices and keep track of it. Thus make the possibility for players the kill all life in a area, and two drag new animals to a area so it will be reproduced.
Still would require one hell of machine. ^^

Ps. The point would be that loosing should still be fun.

Or it could work like that guys plan on another RPG you can always reincarnate as any other NPC in the world. If you get stabed to death, respawn as a goblin king and send your army after him.
If he gets pissed he'll respawn as a human king and send a army after your army. And so forth.... :S

[ October 23, 2007: Message edited by: TheSpaceMan ]

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »

Wurm Online is a LOT like DF. You basically start out with just basic tools and can build anything you want in a fantasy setting, and you can craft and farm and everything else. The terrain is also fully modifiable.

Only thing is that you have to travel pretty far out into the frontier to really start from scratch, as the current game world has been going for 4 months and pretty much everywhere within half an hour's walk of the starting area is settled.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2007, 09:53:00 am »

If you really wanted the whole dwarf mmo experiance you would have to start of as a lone dwarf, mine/fight for a bit to build up a posse of dwarf followers whose labour you could hire out to fortresses, get rights to build a hole in the ground somewhere (with bugger all minerals) to use as a base camp, then get the rights to strike out and build a new dwarf city somewhere else.
One of the big problems is there is nothing besides wood and minerals that a fortress can do without for any amount of time.  No human player is going to be interested in your 15 tonnes of goblin skinny pants, and I dont want you piece of crap stone mugs either.  (I predict a brisk trade in kitten skull totems though)
Control a full scale fortress and you will get anything you want eventually.  The sheer amount of reasources you have availible is staggering. (crashing the dwarvern economy by dumping all your platinum coins onto the market would be fun though)
Full scale fortress control with trading just isnt an option for this reason, smaller holes in the ground/towers might work.  From there you could decide if you wanted to sell crafts, raid the traders, farm or go mercenary.  Still dwarves, just smaller.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2007, 09:39:00 pm »

What if every player started with 50 random dwarves to make a fort?, the players could each have about a year to get their fortress rolling before their fortress "joins" the gameworld (sort of like it floats over to the main game world or somthing, when you logoff it (might) "float away".

To make things interesting mining could take about 100x times as long as it does now and large hordes of goblins would rove around attacking only those with lots of wealth.  This would theoretically stop players from grabbing all of a n00b's wealth beacuse then the goblins would come and get revenge, plus the attacting player, (lets say they send 100 well armed dwarves) would lose some dwarves taking the reasonably well armed fortress, likly about 25 so they couldn't take out too many new players.  Another way to stop the newbies from getting creamed is the give them nothing but obsidian short swords and bone crossbows and bolts, they would have nothing worth getting stolen, so they wouldn't get creamed.  Also, when the mean big player's is out creaming the small ones nothing is stopping the big player's neighbors from trying to get at that player's (presumably huge) and less well defended horde of metal.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2007, 01:09:00 am »

Dwarf Fortress will only work as an MMO when:
- World 'resolution' is MASSIVELY improved (damn thick walls considering they're as large as a kitten AND two dragons that are laying down!)
- Reduction of maximum skill level to reduce and prevent power level disparity (to stop Novices from being owned by Legendaries)
- Improvement of object, creature, and other customization aspects. Where are the rings of goblin bone hanging from? And is that the object is engraved, or are those hanging rings?
- Graphical overhaul (ties in with improved world resolution)
- Many many many other improvements that Toady and his grand children would die before he finished the list.

FYI for Wurm Online; it's RuneScape with a more interactive environment. That's it. If you've played that pos mmo, you've played Wurm Online's mode of character advancement.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2007, 01:28:00 am »

I don't think being a good MMO has anything to do with tile resolution or graphics. ASCII MMOs work fine. Same goes for objects and such, there's no reason the current system would impede an MMO version. The main issues I can think of are in balancing the attributes and skills out (in the case of controlling one dwarf) and preventing grief playing.

It seems the hardest thing to do would be the programming, not the game design.

Oh, and speaking of Wurm Online...(a bunch of us just started playing it). It seems the modifiable environment makes all the difference, since we plan to build an underground fortress. Plus we're playing with other DF forum people, so it's funner than all those 1337ers.  :) I'm gonna give it a fair shake anyway.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

I'm gonna give Wurm Online a go too. I can't afford a premium account, but hey, as long as I can dig saps all over the world I'm fine. (I like to tunnel, okay? Some guys are birdwatchers or stamp collectors, I'm a sapper.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4