Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 855573 times)

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5610 on: November 28, 2013, 07:46:03 am »

It's my understanding that the Depot is considered as a stockpile of the right kind for items, meaning stuffs will not rot or decay while store in it. I also understood that an item dumped on a stockpile will not decay either.

If I manage to dump items on the Depot (with a garbage channel from above, for instance), would those items considered as stored in the Depot ?

The whole idea is to be able to prepare for arrival of merchants : I have way too many useless stuffs and goblinite to sell, and never manage to have everything in the depot before merchants leave. This lead to constant hauling jobs between my stockpiles and the Depot. With this solution, I would dump all the things I want to sell in the Depot, then massive claim before trading. And tada, it's already inside.
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: November 28, 2013, 04:31:55 pm »

I'm embarking on a place with 2 biomes
One is warm, One is Hot
Will the Hot area affect the whole embark, or just the biome it is a part of?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: November 28, 2013, 04:35:51 pm »

I have a lot of animals with rotten feats due to a FB, are they "walking dead" or are there a chance they will heal themselves?

In real life I would say the only hope is to amputate, but that is not really an option here, even thou it would be funny.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: November 28, 2013, 04:38:52 pm »

One is warm, One is Hot

It should only affect the biome it's part of.

I have a lot of animals with rotten feats due to a FB, are they "walking dead" or are there a chance they will heal themselves?

In real life I would say the only hope is to amputate, but that is not really an option here, even thou it would be funny.

Necrosis won't outright kill them. Other possible effects of the syndrome might. Otherwise they will be walking around with rotted paws for the rest of their life, since I don't believe rotted flesh can heal.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: November 28, 2013, 04:44:46 pm »

They'll die from infection eventually. For the animals that you can't slaughter, you can pasture them outside or in an isolated area to stop the miasma from annoying your dwarves.

One is warm, One is Hot

It should only affect the biome it's part of.

Necrosis won't outright kill them. Other possible effects of the syndrome might. Otherwise they will be walking around with rotted paws for the rest of their life, since I don't believe rotted flesh can heal.

Rest of their life indeed, before they die of infection.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: November 28, 2013, 05:22:53 pm »

Did not take long, after a few weeks they started die in big numbers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: November 28, 2013, 06:50:13 pm »

It's my understanding that the Depot is considered as a stockpile of the right kind for items, meaning stuffs will not rot or decay while store in it. I also understood that an item dumped on a stockpile will not decay either.

If I manage to dump items on the Depot (with a garbage channel from above, for instance), would those items considered as stored in the Depot ?

The whole idea is to be able to prepare for arrival of merchants : I have way too many useless stuffs and goblinite to sell, and never manage to have everything in the depot before merchants leave. This lead to constant hauling jobs between my stockpiles and the Depot. With this solution, I would dump all the things I want to sell in the Depot, then massive claim before trading. And tada, it's already inside.
I very much doubt it. Stuff goes inside depots (like all other buildings,) not on top of, and the only way to get them inside is through hauling labors. The best you could do would be to dump the items on a single-tile stockpile right next to the depot. This would cut down hauling time considerably, at least.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:52:00 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: November 29, 2013, 10:04:00 am »

I very much doubt it. Stuff goes inside depots (like all other buildings,) not on top of, and the only way to get them inside is through hauling labors. The best you could do would be to dump the items on a single-tile stockpile right next to the depot. This would cut down hauling time considerably, at least.

My 2ct of Science : I just tried. As you said, stuffs won't go inside the Depot : if you use 't', you don't see dumped items. So it's not advisable for food or cloths. However, dumped items are at '0' distance of the Depot, thus require no hauling. So it works just fine for crafts, for instance
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:07:55 am by aiseant »

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: November 29, 2013, 10:14:37 am »

iirc there was some science about this with regards to selling captured prisoners. Even though the goods are on the depot, they require a dorf to move them -in- the depot before they can be traded. It hardly takes any time, but it still has to be done
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: November 29, 2013, 11:10:58 am »

I don't know about that, when I try to move a prisoner to the Depot, if it's a sentient being, he/she escapes

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: November 29, 2013, 01:18:21 pm »

Items at 0 distance need to be hauled to the depot sometimes. If they're in the depot (eg. unsold or unhauled items from a previous trading session), they don't need to be hauled. If they're on the depot (eg. dumped directly onto the centre tile or dropped in from above), then they do need to be hauled. The job doesn't take very long though, given the distance, and the next depot job is right where the dwarf is and is taken very quickly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: November 29, 2013, 11:38:44 pm »

So, we just had a Were-Tortoise Attack, it was this Snakewoman
She was brained by the whip wielding militia commander, who was hardly trained on her weapon.

Aside from that, will non-bite attacks by a being not in were form, such as hitting the armor, make them a Were-Beast?
Also, will her corpse come back?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: November 29, 2013, 11:41:11 pm »

No and no.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: November 30, 2013, 01:30:57 am »

Okay, so I am trying to build a wall that is part of my Cistern/Resevoir....
The problem is that, well the dorfs won't stop standing on the final block to it ;m;
I've tried cancelling and redoing it, or undoing other parts of the wall, even giving the space a low/restricted traffic
They won't stop standing on it, and it keeps cancelling

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: November 30, 2013, 03:27:40 am »

You say you've tried removing the construction designation and recreating it and that doesn't help?  Are you using mods by chance?  I've had situations where flyers in fort mode will consistently do this and I have to keep retrying it until something that doesn't fly picks up the job.

In all likelihood that isn't your problem, so is it possible to create another path to the construction site?  Possibly a temporary one?  I've never had to do this, but I've heard of it helping some others, especially if you're constructing near ramps.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 422