Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary level only obtainable in actual combat for combat skills  (Read 247 times)

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it's unrealistic how you can train warriors on par with Achilles or Siegfried from the comfort of your own barracks. I feel that Legendary level combat skills should only be obtainable through actual combat, even if you only kill crundles to do so. Perhaps the highest level you can reach by training in the barracks is Grand Master (or perhaps even lower).

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary level only obtainable in actual combat for combat skills
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 01:21:14 pm »

I think the maximum skill from training should depend on the quality of the barracks, with some division by the amount of militia-dwarves using the same facilities. That way there would be an intrinsic motivator to decorate your barracks instead of dirt hole + 2 years of constant training = instant legend.
I think that items that aren't constructions/smoothing, weapon racks, armor stands, or displayed armor/weapons should contribute less to the value calculation, since I think a platinum statue would contribute less to the abstract idea of learning combat skills than proper military furniture.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 01:38:47 pm »

I agree that the maximum skill level for demonstrations should probably be much lower, and depend on the teacher's skill.  Maybe even limited to Competent.

It gets stickier with sparring, since that's like real combat, even if the stakes are obviously much lower.  Maybe there should be a cap, or it should provide diminishing returns past a certain point, maybe capping at the higher of the sparring participants' skill levels or dropping to very little experience for the more skilled participant.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 03:54:08 pm »

Demonstrations (whether military or otherwise) should produce skill gains that take into account the teacher’s skill level in the skill being taught, the teacher’s teaching skill, and the student’s student skill (among possibly other things).  At no point should a demonstration result in the student’s skill in a subject being raised to a level that is higher than the teacher’s.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 01:39:04 pm »

I agree that a teacher's skill should influence how high a combat skill can be trained, and the quality of your training facilities could also play a role. However, I still believe that demonstrations or training regimens alone cannot shape someone into the elite of the elite.

Consider this comic book analogy: Instruction by Dr. X or hours spent in the Danger Room certainly helps to prepare new X-Men members for the challenges they'll face on missions. However, there is no substitute for actual combat experience with dangerous enemies in preparing the X-Men for their confrontations with Magneto's inner circle.