Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: Legends Viewer (Maintained Branch) 1.20.08 | DF 0.47.XX  (Read 227204 times)

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.14.02 (0.42.XX Compatible) Unoffical Branch
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 03:04:25 pm »

My main goal with this release was essentially to get a good overview of all this things without having to navigate through a lot of pages.

Instead of only a list of civilization names you now get more detailed information on top of the world stats page.

OH BABY

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 05:43:39 pm »

Sure, I'll upload something when I get back from work later.
I really like the new features. Get them working for modded civs and it'll be near-perfect (besides DFhack only features).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 06:28:03 pm »

The total numbers in the chart come from the regionx-xxxx-xx-xx-world_sites_and_pops.txt file.
Interesting. Where does the 'Site Poulations' section get it's numbers from? It's only a very small difference when you add in outcasts and prisoners. Maybe wandering historical figures aren't counted as belonging to any site?

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 12:53:15 am »

I'd like to add a small feature request if I may, something that's been bothering me since the beginning. Legends Viewer only loads one map, and doesn't allow for more than one alternate map (which needs to be loaded manually). Furthermore, it's very frustrating that when navigating away from the map page, the alternate map gets unloaded. It'd be super useful for LV to load all the maps it can find, and also allow for loading other maps (for example, my Satellite Map Maker, or the Fantasy Map Maker maps), which would not then unload after clicking on something.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015, 04:05:18 pm »

Where I can see ceremonies and other new events? I can't find them in program. Using with 42.03 DF.

You can find these new occasions in the event logs of entities that celebrate them, of historical figures that took part in competitions and in the event logs of regions and sites where they took place.
They aren't search/filterable in the navigation panel, because the legend export files do not include information about their names.
So whenever these occasions appear in an event log you get "Historical Figure took part in a competition, ..." instead of the real name of the competition as you would in DF legends mode.

The total numbers in the chart come from the regionx-xxxx-xx-xx-world_sites_and_pops.txt file.
Interesting. Where does the 'Site Poulations' section get it's numbers from? It's only a very small difference when you add in outcasts and prisoners. Maybe wandering historical figures aren't counted as belonging to any site?

The populations of sites are in the same file. I am sure you are right and wandering historical figures are not part of any site but are counted for the civilized world populations list.

Sure, I'll upload something when I get back from work later.
I really like the new features. Get them working for modded civs and it'll be near-perfect (besides DFhack only features).

Everyone who wants to help to make the new features more mod friendly,
please upload a zip from a world with modded civs with the files:
Code: [Select]
regionx-xxxxx-xx-xx-legends.xml
regionx-xxxxx-xx-xx-world_history.txt
regionx-xxxxx-xx-xx-world_map.bmp
regionx-xxxxx-xx-xx-world_sites_and_pops.txt

I for myself only use UI mods and TWBT+tilesets but no gameplay or world changing mods.

I'd like to add a small feature request if I may, something that's been bothering me since the beginning. Legends Viewer only loads one map, and doesn't allow for more than one alternate map (which needs to be loaded manually). Furthermore, it's very frustrating that when navigating away from the map page, the alternate map gets unloaded. It'd be super useful for LV to load all the maps it can find, and also allow for loading other maps (for example, my Satellite Map Maker, or the Fantasy Map Maker maps), which would not then unload after clicking on something.

I will take a look at the map-loading code.

Voxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 01:16:24 pm »

So I noticed that the checkboxes for vampires and werebeasts were not working, which is a shame because I need to know how many vampire leaders there are in my large sized 400 year old world. As such I fixed it and made a pull request: https://github.com/Kromtec/Legends-Viewer/pull/1

Additionally I just made a quick jsbin demo of an idea I had for the skills display, in particular skills can take up a lot of room vertically, so I decided it might look nicer with an inline block display with colour coding and hover over: http://jsbin.com/yapaxadaqe

Any thoughts? I can work on this and submit a pull request if it looks promising.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:31:03 pm by Voxus »

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 03:44:56 pm »

So I noticed that the checkboxes for vampires and werebeasts were not working, which is a shame because I need to know how many vampire leaders there are in my large sized 400 year old world. As such I fixed it and made a pull request: https://github.com/Kromtec/Legends-Viewer/pull/1

Additionally I just made a quick jsbin demo of an idea I had for the skills display, in particular skills can take up a lot of room vertically, so I decided it might look nicer with an inline block display with colour coding and hover over: http://jsbin.com/yapaxadaqe

Any thoughts? I can work on this and submit a pull request if it looks promising.

Thank you for the vampire and werebeast bugfix, I already merged it into the branch!  :)

I like your idea for the skill display. It looks a lot better than the simple list, but I am not entirely sure about the color coding.
Skills are already associated with certain colors of their profession.

For example fish cleaner, fish dissector, fisherdwarf have the dark blue color of their parent profession fishery worker.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Skill#Skills

In Dwarf Therapist the skill level is represented with a growing square and a diamond symbol for legendary.
If you could manage that the skill list looks like in your demo but with their profession color instead of a level color and a level symbol like in DT next to their name it would be perfect!

Voxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 04:11:16 pm »

Thank you for the vampire and werebeast bugfix, I already merged it into the branch!  :)

I like your idea for the skill display. It looks a lot better than the simple list, but I am not entirely sure about the color coding.
Skills are already associated with certain colors of their profession.

For example fish cleaner, fish dissector, fisherdwarf have the dark blue color of their parent profession fishery worker.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Skill#Skills

In Dwarf Therapist the skill level is represented with a growing square and a diamond symbol for legendary.
If you could manage that the skill list looks like in your demo but with their profession color instead of a level color and a level symbol like in DT next to their name it would be perfect!

Not a bad idea to replicate the dwarf therapist display, should be doable. I'll get back to you with another plain HTML/CSS test before I try to actually implement it.

[EDIT] Progress:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:37:42 pm by Voxus »

Deity Link

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 11:04:10 pm »

Windows doesn't let me open the latest version and my antivirus found a virus in it.

Didn't happen with 1.14.01

Got any explanations?

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 06:57:02 am »

Windows doesn't let me open the latest version and my antivirus found a virus in it.

Didn't happen with 1.14.01

Got any explanations?

Hm, maybe because I write the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION\ in the new version.
This is necessary because the WebBrowser Control that hosts the Pages for Historical Figures, Regions, ... only runs in Internet Explorer 7 Mode as default. To use newer features like the population chart it has to run in IE9+ Mode.
The registry key is only set for Legends Viewer and no other program.

Maybe it is something entirely different.
Antivirus software often shows false positives but if you are unsure you can read
http://www.howtogeek.com/180162/how-to-tell-if-a-virus-is-actually-a-false-positive/
I made a test
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c72e0cb260312e8c22e7d66db9e93ff6031604241223fc817434d7cd0cbae94d/analysis/1451303373/

Voxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »

I'd say looking at the code for maps this should be possible, I'm going to spend some time working on the map code and I'll try to implement this as I go.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 02:27:46 pm »

I'd say looking at the code for maps this should be possible, I'm going to spend some time working on the map code and I'll try to implement this as I go.

I already put in the part where the alternate map and the opacity setting is remembered during a session.
If you could take a look into how to load more than one alternate map it would be awesome.

Voxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 04:56:12 am »

I already put in the part where the alternate map and the opacity setting is remembered during a session.
If you could take a look into how to load more than one alternate map it would be awesome.

I think the best option is to rewrite a large section of the map code, The design is not incompatible with multiple alternate maps, but it would be a duct tape style solution. I'd rather just create a more modular pattern for maps and map features, so I'm going to take a stab at that method. In the mean time I have some other smaller ideas I'd also like to work on, so I'll probably split the time I work on this 50/50 over working on maps and some other small changes. Parker talked about rewriting maps, charts, and figuring out a winforms solution to legend pages, none of which are small changes. I feel like maps needs the least amount of work to become fully modular, so it seems like the best place to start.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:59:50 am by Voxus »

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 05:03:03 am »

I think the best option is to rewrite a large section of the map code, The design is not incompatible with multiple alternate maps, but it would be a duct tape style solution. I'd rather just create a more modular pattern for maps and map features, so I'm going to take a stab at that method. In the mean time I have some other smaller ideas I'd also like to work on, so I'll probably split the time I work on this 50/50 over working on maps and some other small changes. Parker talked about rewriting maps, charts, and figuring out a winforms solution to legend pages, none of which are small changes. I feel like maps needs the least amount of work to become fully modular, so it seems like the best place to start.

This sounds great. Some way to load all the available maps automatically (plus manually loading one or more alternate maps) and allow freely switching among them would improve Legends Viewer immensely IMO.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 05:45:14 am »

I think the best option is to rewrite a large section of the map code, The design is not incompatible with multiple alternate maps, but it would be a duct tape style solution. I'd rather just create a more modular pattern for maps and map features, so I'm going to take a stab at that method. In the mean time I have some other smaller ideas I'd also like to work on, so I'll probably split the time I work on this 50/50 over working on maps and some other small changes.
Yeah a map overhaul would be great! If you take this into your hands I'll stay away from this part.

Parker talked about rewriting maps, charts, and figuring out a winforms solution to legend pages, none of which are small changes. I feel like maps needs the least amount of work to become fully modular, so it seems like the best place to start.
I am not so sure if changing everything into WinForms is still a good idea. WinForms is (except for a few bugfixes) abandoned by Microsoft for years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31