Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!  (Read 24928 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - NEXT is out!
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2018, 03:26:48 pm »

I got stuck at the quest to craft antimatter, because I had no recipe for antimatter housing. After wasting a lot of time trying to figure out what to do, I eventually took to the interwebs where lots of other people had the same issue, and one of them figured out that by going into the logs and manually selecting the other quest, the recipe for antimatter housing will then magically pop into our recipe list. This solution worked for me, but damn this is some stupid buggy sloppy shit right here.

I've also tried to find several subterranean artifacts that showed up on my scanner, only to have them disappear when I get close. Apparently this is a well known bug that has been around for years without being addressed. *sigh*

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2018, 04:15:15 pm »

I have the analyzer but it currently doesn't show much more than walls/decorations.
I've seen a few new options (i initially only had wood structures, but now also foundation and concrete something).

Maybe it will show later.

I tried forcing the doors of manufacturing facilities but i only have the starter weapon yet, and the defense triggered is a bit too much

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2018, 04:22:24 pm »

Sooo I have heard about certain items you can find exploring being worth good amounts of money..but I didn't hear about THIS much money for a single item..
Given that in this save I just finished the starting quest (so I'm post-early game), it's pretty crazy.

Meanwhile my girlfriend gave up 2 times we tried to play together due to constant bugs, probably because she's not the host. She even spawned 'walking' in space, died, and could not retrieve her grave (grave is floating and won't give items back), so she lost all items. I haven't had any bugs...yet.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2018, 04:30:28 pm »

After finishing my first warp, I touched down at a base where a NPC progressed my quest to the next step. While there I talked to other NPC's, and one of them allowed me to barter a  bit of my Sulfur for his information. He told me about a shipwreck on another planet in the same system. So I flew over to the shipwreck, and my scans revealed about a dozen buried crates scattered about. After digging up a few of them, I found that they just needed a bit of pure Ferrite to crack open. While waiting for my Ferrite to refine, I met a single very large 6-legged horned critter stomping about the ruins; fortunately he was not aggressive. After opening one of the crates, I discovered that it was full of radiation, which was fun. But it was also full of loot! Once all the crates were open, I was 250,000 units richer, plus 2 artifacts valued at 200,000 each, and two warp cells and a launch fuel as well!

Now that I have a decent fistfull of credits, I just need to find a place to spend them...

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2018, 08:22:07 pm »

The thing that pains me the most is how the base game is here, and how much they could make it shine by tying systems together to allow a lot more creativity.

Just constantly adding to the planet generator for one, for biomes and more varied terrain on planets themselves, allowing to take plants / pets with you from planets to make a farm / museum / zoo in your base or whatever, a dropship for transporting vehicles around, etc. I think customizing your freighter was supposed to be in eventually? I would also love more freighter stuff for MP, like being able to actually fly / jump the thing around the system to use it as a sort of mobile base.

EDIT: Some QOl stuff too, maybe a nav console on freighter bridge for MP at least, for guests to look at the map. I would also like a system and planet map, for better ease of exploration and triangulation when trying to find portals and stuff with friends. Dunno. It's the small things really.

They have the basics down, but they just need to connect and expand on it to really start turning it into, at the very least, a $30 game before we start talking about more after that.

I also honestly don't see why this game has been taking so long to develop / get to the state where it is. Everything in it has just been about done already by teams with less people, and faster too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:23:38 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2018, 04:44:28 am »

building a base and then putting a teleporter in is probably an early priority, from there u can teleport to your base from space stations (and other bases that u may build).  But it takes a while to get to that early stage of the game, hello games have done quite well at engaging content that keeps u going for a while

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2018, 08:13:06 am »

I've just got Next and I'm really enjoying it - but I have to agree with others that it still feels like subnautica did early access; all the systems are sort of there, but it doesn't all gel together well and it needs another half a year/year to really get it together.

It's also annoyingly buggy - I've come across a LOT of floating buildings and stuff where the terrain gen obviously didn't work right, and there's a lot of stuff that just feels a bit rough round the edges.

Whilst it's great they've kept working on it, as Vivalas says, it's a bit odd they haven't managed to do more in the time they've had when other smaller teams have managed to do much, much more.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2018, 09:20:46 am »

They spent too much time parading single systems before release.

“Here’s the animation system“ “Here’s how the ecology will work”

And they put them all togheter too late

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2018, 10:51:59 am »

The "others have done more in less time" really points to poor software engineering from my perspective. Bad project management can undo any number of advantages you might have in your corner.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2018, 01:23:09 pm »

Yeah it's a shame really - my main hope is that the bump in sales/attention they've gotten from this update will allow them to keep going. It's fun at the moment, but it could be incredible in a year. I'm not sure how long they'll be left to carry on though - or I imagine we'll quickly get into paid updates now that everyone's happier. 

The good thing to come out of all this is that 'pulling a NMS' is now a thing - game studios are a lot more cautious of promising the earth (or multiple ones) and I think it's definitely a good thing.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2018, 02:16:06 pm »

I saved up enough resources to buy my first mod, flew up to a space station and bought the Advanced Mining mod. I went to install it, and realized it was actually an Advanced Mining Mod Blueprint. Hey, even better, now I can craft as many of these things as I want. I had all the components, except a technology chip. But I know where to find those.

So I flew down to a nearby planet and dug up a pair of Technology Chips...only to realize that these are Ancient Technology Chips. Apparently ancient technology is not compatible with modern technology.

Fortunately, I soon stumbled upon a small planetary outpost with a vendor who was selling Technology Chips! I bought 2 and crafted my mod and shoved it into the last available slot of my newbie multi-tool.

I was on my out to do some advanced mining, when I noticed a small outlet near the door. Upon inspection, I realized this outlet was selling a new multi-tool! The new tool had 19 slots, a massive upgrade over the 3 slots in my newbie tool! I had to have it. But it costed 18,000,000 units, and I only had 12,000,000 units. I immediately pawned all the artifacts wasting space in my space-backpack, but that only got me up to 14,000,000 units.

Determined to claim my prize, I headed out the door to scavenge whatever I could find in the immediate vicinity and somehow turn an impossible profit from it. I quickly learned that some raw elements changed value when refined...most elements did not gain in value significantly, but there was one exception; processed cobalt became 10x more valuable compared to the unprocessed form! Sadly this planet had no natural sources of cobalt, and I only had a bit of the stuff in my bags...but I soon found some strange floating crystals, and a few of them had nuggets of cobalt inside! The local robo-jerks perked up and scanned me after I cracked open one of the crystals, but fortunately they decided to let me continue working unharassed.

With the floating crystals gone and all the cobalt processed and sold, I was up to 16,000,000 units...a bold step towards my goal, but still not quite there. So I checked my list of craftable items, and found that Warp Cells were worth quite a few units, and fairly easy to craft! I just needed some chromatic ore, which I could craft from the copper deposits that were everywhere on this planet. So I spent some time mining and crafting until I had a small pile of warp cells, then headed back to the settlement to unload my wares. Sadly, these merchants seemed uninterested in purchasing warp cells. All that time wasted, and still that new multi-tool mocked me from the outlet by the doorway, just slightly too expensive for me...

I set out again, this time delving into the nearby caves in search of elusive artifacts. Deep in the caves I found some humming eggs. I was more than a bit wary, as I had encountered similar eggs on another planet and found that touching them summoned a large swarm of very angry abominations. But I was desperate for units, so I poked the eggs, and was relieved to find that they opened harmlessly to reveal large pearls inside. The pearls were only worth 40,000 each, but there were a lot of them. So I filled my bags.

Emerging from the caves, I thought that night had fallen while I was spelunking...but then I looked up, and realized that a massive freighter was blocking out the sun. A smaller ship came down, shuttling some rando named Brandon, who landed near me and danced around for a few minutes while I refined some basic elements to free up inventory space. Eventually Brandon got back in his shuttle and flew around shooting down some of the local birds and smaller ships, then he went back into his freighter and left. How nice of him to come flaunt his amazing wealth while I'm scrounging units to buy a simple multi-tool.

Selling off the pearls got me up to 17,000,000 units, still 1m short of my goal. Running out of local resources and already well past my bedtime, I got desperate and sold some of my ancient technology modules. I needed those modules to unlock new recipes...but I can always scavenge more modules, and I don't know when I'll find another multi-tool like this. These sales got me just enough units to purchase my prize!

Fancy new multi-tool in hand and grinning ear-to-ear, I walked out the door and aimed it at the nearest rock. This rock required an advanced mining module, which my new multi-tool did not have. Well that's okay, I bought the blueprint so I can craft as many modules as I need; they just require a pair Technology Chips, which I can buy right here...except I'm flat broke. *sigh*. Back to scavenging for units...

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2018, 02:35:35 pm »

How nice of him to come flaunt his amazing wealth while I'm scrounging units to buy a simple multi-tool.
I think I saw a NPC selling a freighter for 12 million, so this guy may have have too much either...

Also, I don't think there is a point in refining the Cobalt : Ionized Cobalt (that you get from refining) sells twice as high as normal cobalt, but you need 2 cobalt (+ the carbon fuel for the refiner) to create 1 ionized cobalt.

Nevertheless, going into the caves of a planets usually is a good way to get some units quickly, because you can usually find some nice resources to sell there, as you did ;)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2018, 04:54:55 pm »

So with a freighter you can own multiple ships.  Learned that if you find another ship you want, that isn't a visitor on your freighter, you don't have to turn in your current if you have a freighter with parking space still.  So now I got a free A class fighter I found that I'm slowly gathering the things to fix it in between everything else. 

I got a project ship in my mobile garage that I putter around with.  I like that, a lot.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 12:49:10 am »

So with a freighter you can own multiple ships.
You don't need the freighter to have multiple ships ;)

You can simply "summon" your ship(s) where you are, no matter the number of ships you have.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2018, 03:11:57 pm »

Of course once I'm almost done with my current project ship I find a even better one with same stats but 10+ extra slots.  At least I finally found a good amount of uranium so I can finally get some auto miners up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14