Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443665 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Finding a Class-E motherloade would be a fun event, assuming you can find a way to slow 6000 tons of high-grade ore.

What is this "slow" you speak of? You could presumably just BUILD A WHOLE NEW SPACECRAFT on the asteroid. Slowing it wouldn't even enter the picture :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Turn it directly into a ship.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I don't see much of a stretch between Kerbal engineering and Ork engineering. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I meant something different, but OK.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

I don't see much of a stretch between Kerbal engineering and Ork engineering.
well...
Quote from: FL-T800 Fuel Tank description
The black stripes along the side make the rocket go faster, our engineers tell us.
Quote from: the Ork Codex
DA RED WUNZ GO FASTA
Me neither.

That's gonna be  my  next project now.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I haven't found any class E asteroids weighing 3000 tons, but I did crash a 900 ton one into the KSC (I cheated :p)
My experiments on making very heavy asteroids was a failure, but I think the game might be ok if i modify one to 5,000 tons.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Class C asteroids mass 100 tons- using the average density (derived from the information on the wiki), that's a diameter of 9.3 cubic meters.
Anyways, screwing with asteroids sounds fun. I should get around to it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well, I was quite lucky. I had just launched an oversized mission to the mun ( I wanted to send a lab to space, no matter how useless it actually was),when I noticed an asteroid going through the kerbin system, barely farther than my original target. It did require some orbital plan readjusting, but the mission was oversized enough to do that and have fuel to spare.

However, I am completely devoid of any mean to actually stick to the asteroid, therefore I have a question:
do I get science from goo/materials lab from asteroids? if yes, do I need to land, or is orbiting next to the surface enough? ( I am confident I can park quite close to it)

while I lack claws, there is something else that may work. This mission is carrying 2 landers, which are mounted with their engines facing upward. Is it feasible to use those to push me against the

surface long enough to do reseach?

edit: can only take samples... it still is a decent bit of science.
however, at this point I may want to still get to mun or minmus to make us of all the science equipment.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:12:32 pm by andrea »

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

while I lack claws, there is something else that may work. This mission is carrying 2 landers, which are mounted with their engines facing upward. Is it feasible to use those to push me against the

surface long enough to do reseach?

You made me lol, not like "oh lol" that people just throw around during conversations but I literally loled at how awesome your plan is.
You good sir are a genius and I salute you!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Been having some fun with the latest version. Made a rocket-truck and rolled out to the highlands/grasslands near the KSC. It looked absolutely ridiculous but worked nonetheless. Also made one landing on Minmus, some flights around both Minmus and the Mun, and finally put up a station hub which I intend to use to fuel and launch future missions around the Kerbin system. It unfortunately isn't the most advanced station ever with my limited variety of technologies, but It shouldn't matter much as long as I can retrofit it with new equipment by docking them to it.

Two asteroids I've set my sights on only ~90 and ~100 days away from a kerbin SOI intercept. One class A and one E. Hopefully by then I can actually capture them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So how have people been getting around the utter uselessness of rovers now? I.E. They were there to land on Mun, drive to each biome, do science, transmit science, drive to next, etc. but now they can't do that with any useful science equipment.

I've been trying to make a manned "rover-train-thing" that includes all the sciencers, a mobile lab, wheels, and preferably a detachable skycrane unit that the Kerbals onboard can ride back to orbit after they're done.
I'm still having issues with the design though, getting the balance right is so hard its silly.

Indeed, I do this.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're all talking about some pretty awesome stuff: asteroids, the Mun, etc...

And I can't even get into orbit.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

So how have people been getting around the utter uselessness of rovers now? I.E. They were there to land on Mun, drive to each biome, do science, transmit science, drive to next, etc. but now they can't do that with any useful science equipment.

I've been trying to make a manned "rover-train-thing" that includes all the sciencers, a mobile lab, wheels, and preferably a detachable skycrane unit that the Kerbals onboard can ride back to orbit after they're done.
I'm still having issues with the design though, getting the balance right is so hard its silly.

Spaceplanes are useless too, but that doesn't mean they're boring. Although your idea is pretty cool... I'd plan on just using a separate lander to carry the crew back home, so you can make the vehicle itself lighter.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spaceplanes are useless too, but that doesn't mean they're boring. Although your idea is pretty cool... I'd plan on just using a separate lander to carry the crew back home, so you can make the vehicle itself lighter.

Hmm, I suppose, but it still needs some kind of skycrane or such to land without the customary explodinating.

Also, unrelated, Launch Escape System+ Infinite Fuel Cheat= Hilarity. I'm trying to land it on Moho right now :P

Indeed, I do this.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Well finally go around to unlocking enough parts unlocked to actually put together a SSTO since they added the research system. Utilized a previously designed Biplane as a base and pretty much just went for it.

Bit more adjustments here and there needed but she flies rather nice.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:00:12 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 848