Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3743965 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2025 on: May 10, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »

Is anyone else struck by the frivolous violence of Threetoes railway?  Was an iron wall absolutely necessary?  :o

Meh. Didn't really notice. I've gotten pretty used to frivolous violence around here. He could have used iron spikes and it still would have seemed fairly normal (for bay12forums values of "normal").
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: May 10, 2012, 01:39:13 pm »

The log does suggest that we can set up death-defying spike-pit jumps. 

This is going to allow for complete fortress segregation.  I always want to have "outdoor" and "indoor" dwarves, to allow me to keep my most important dwarves safe.  With cart-jumps, I can supply the outdwarves with goods provided by the indwarves, without ever having to risk the indwarves and outdwarves mingling, so when the outdwarves are inevitibly horribly killed, the indwarves won't care. 

Also a separate dwarven nursery with food dumped in by a cart would be advantageous. 

(in reality, I probably won't bother - more opportunity for !!FUN!! that way)
where is up?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: May 10, 2012, 02:32:25 pm »

The log does suggest that we can set up death-defying spike-pit jumps. 

This is going to allow for complete fortress segregation.  I always want to have "outdoor" and "indoor" dwarves, to allow me to keep my most important dwarves safe.  With cart-jumps, I can supply the outdwarves with goods provided by the indwarves, without ever having to risk the indwarves and outdwarves mingling, so when the outdwarves are inevitibly horribly killed, the indwarves won't care. 

Also a separate dwarven nursery with food dumped in by a cart would be advantageous. 

(in reality, I probably won't bother - more opportunity for !!FUN!! that way)

And now I want to be able to throw babies and children on the Magic Dorfbus.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: May 10, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »

You know, we were talking about this earlier, you only really need a non-ramp drop of 1 tile for carts to get to a place where dwarves can't path normally, but carts will be able to fall.  Spectacular Evel Knievel jumps are just for people who have more attachment to spectacle than their dwarves or cargo.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2029 on: May 10, 2012, 02:52:19 pm »

You know, we were talking about this earlier, you only really need a non-ramp drop of 1 tile for carts to get to a place where dwarves can't path normally, but carts will be able to fall.  Spectacular Evel Knievel jumps are just for people who have more attachment to spectacle than their dwarves or cargo.

Your point being?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: May 10, 2012, 04:51:29 pm »

Did anyone else notice that the devlog implied that units in carts now take damage from collisions?

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: May 10, 2012, 05:28:07 pm »

Did anyone else notice that the devlog implied that units in carts now take damage from collisions?
No, and I've looked the latest one over trying to find anything that might possibly imply such. What are you talking about?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #2032 on: May 10, 2012, 05:57:20 pm »

No, and I've looked the latest one over trying to find anything that might possibly imply such. What are you talking about?

The last line of the 2nd paragraph is "In the end the cart cleared the wall but just missed the platform and slammed into the side. The dwarf was a casualty, but you know that. "
Which at least seem to indicate the dwarf in the mine cart was killed of injured somehow due to the collision.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: May 10, 2012, 06:14:02 pm »

The last line of the 2nd paragraph is "In the end the cart cleared the wall but just missed the platform and slammed into the side. The dwarf was a casualty, but you know that. "
Which at least seem to indicate the dwarf in the mine cart was killed of injured somehow due to the collision.
Oh, yeah, duh. For some reason I think I must have misread "units" as "items" or something.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: May 10, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »

Oh well, so much for the ODSD.

...Maybe if they landed in water?

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: May 10, 2012, 06:45:32 pm »

I've gotten the impression from recent devlogs that dwarves don't technically ride in minecarts, but instead hang on behind them.  If this is more or less true in terms of how the code is actually structured, then any assumptions we make about creatures in cages for example can't automatically be applied to dwarves hitching a ride on a minecart.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: May 10, 2012, 07:08:39 pm »

"The items and units fly out of carts now on major collisions. It gives the objects a little lift and spread sometimes to make the happenings more entertaining. Accidental grapeshotting of the dining room should be possible now. The debug tests on massed goblins were fairly devastating and left a large conical skidmark."

Sweeeeeeeeeet! :D

So am I interpreting this correctly as in getting hit by stuff getting flung out of a colliding cart deals damage?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: May 10, 2012, 07:20:52 pm »

I love the devlogs. But I'm not sure what he meant by "accidental".
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: May 10, 2012, 07:21:31 pm »

Oh well, so much for the ODSD.

...Maybe if they landed in water?

Devlogs imply that happens only on a "collision", and if you land on the rails, and don't derail or smack into something, then it won't happen. 

Again, a single tile drop-down to waiting tracks at relatively low velocities should be safe. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »

I love the devlogs. But I'm not sure what he meant by "accidental".

I know, crazy right?  Deliberate booze-barrel grapeshotting of the dining hall should be goal of any self respecting fortress overseer.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 748