Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3743955 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3255 on: September 07, 2012, 04:20:03 pm »

If i may state my curiosity from one of my previous posts.

Will we ever be able to edit the types of buildings that will appear in towns as well as the "dungeons" inside of it, possibly having it external such as a site_dwarf file. or having "plans" built into the game like now but with the buildings customisable in the entity files, such as the options to build towers or not, or to have sewers or not at a certain city value or population

ex:
[sitetag:building tag: minimum pop, minimum site currency]
[CITY:WALLS:300,50000]

I'd like this as well, but wouldn't it be easier to create a "bank" of parts that can be interconnected?
Such as putting tags in that would change what rooms are like, how they're connected, where they spawn, etc.
For instance, you could set hallways to [HALLS:WINDING:value:WIDTH:value:LENGTH:value], where "winding" can be changed to influence how hallways are generated, width a value from 1-3 determining how wide a hallway is, and length a value determining a median value for how long hallways are by unit. Rooms and such could be handled the same way with multiple tags, like [LOOT:YES] or [CORPSES] and the like.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: September 07, 2012, 05:16:33 pm »

Right now the world wouldnt be able to handle an epidemic. They're still sorta confused about how to feed themselves.

So very true. Anyway, thanks for the answer.

They also need to house themselves

I am honestly starting to think Toady should increase the size of the world significantly...

Not in terms of increasing size as in more population. I mean just making the world bigger... as in land mass.

Large worlds take forever to gen on a modern computer.

Untrue. The absolute shortest part of World Gen is the land mass. My computer could generate over 10 of the largest worlds in five minutes if it was ONLY the World Generation itself.

It is history generation that takes WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long and comprises 99% of large world generation time.

My suggestion, well not really but I don't know the word for it, was for Toady to increase the Land size but not history load. As in "Compared to history generation you wouldn't notice the change".

I know that a lot of the problem with history generation is just programming efficiency and that Toady is working on it. (The "Travel size" suggests the world is the size of the UK or Europe, but square for square it is about the size of New York)... It suggests the days are shorter in Dwarf Fortress then in real life.

That makes literally zero sense. This part specifically:

My suggestion, well not really but I don't know the word for it, was for Toady to increase the Land size but not history load. As in "Compared to history generation you wouldn't notice the change".

The reason larger worlds would take longer is  because they have to gen more history.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: September 07, 2012, 05:27:37 pm »

I was seperating History Generation from the Physical aspects of the world generation.

As in "Increase the physical size of the world but don't increase the history load simply by moving things appart from eachother and allowing cities, towns, and hamlets to essentially be larger... Which won't mean they have more population because currently cities have over 10 times the population then they have the ability to hold"

It makes perfect sense...

If that is a problem you can even make the days longer.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: September 07, 2012, 08:03:15 pm »

I seem to remember toady saying that the population density is about right for houses, it's only been recently that the amount of people to a house is in the single digits, it used to be several generations of one family in a house/hut.

As for the race sites I wonder if toady will throw in a generic animal race site as well.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: September 07, 2012, 08:19:59 pm »

I seem to remember toady saying that the population density is about right for houses, it's only been recently that the amount of people to a house is in the single digits, it used to be several generations of one family in a house/hut.

As for the race sites I wonder if toady will throw in a generic animal race site as well.
For the animal people?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: September 07, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »

For the animal people?

Oops yeah, animal people. I mean it would probably take years to do a unique site for each race of animal peoples.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: September 07, 2012, 11:26:36 pm »

Ocean Titans are generated, they've been cited in a number of threads and I think I've seen them in Legends mode...
I've just generated a quick world with max titans (nominally 1000, but I suspect I might have gotten fewer), and no ocean (or synonymous) titan was among them. As I said, I suspect they were taken out of the game when lairs where added - I know they used to exist.

Can we get a clarification on this, Toady? Were Ocean Titans taken out? If not, do they have Shrines placed currently or is there some system in place to prevent the strange situation of an inaccessible shrine sitting out there somewhere, presumably on the seafloor?

cthulhu, lol.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: September 07, 2012, 11:31:10 pm »

For the animal people?

Oops yeah, animal people. I mean it would probably take years to do a unique site for each race of animal peoples.

Toady will probably add in a few culture stuff that will be used generically similar to Bandit camps. With them adopting a major race's building style depending on their preferences.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: September 08, 2012, 12:05:07 am »

Will you be developing Kobolds soon? The same goes for elves, but i feel that the potential for kobolds in particular has been underexploited. If there a race of thieves, then let them be the race of thieves, with all the knowledge and skill that means, with the stolen knowledge and customs of a thousand civilisations and they're inexpertly trained animals to boot! In general, having races learn forom thier enemies would be good but it seems particularly apt in this case. As well as that, let kobolds come into thier own, with thier own domesticated creatures and thier strange society, and thier own gods and arts and myths. Draw from the mythos which inspired the idea, and i know i would love to see a connection the fae, though that may have to wait untill you get to planes, and knowing you, i have a feeling that whatever you end up doing it will be a pleasant surprise. Also, when will animal people get thier own sites, possibly based in the caverns and spreading to the service?

Toady does read posts in the suggestions forums.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: September 08, 2012, 02:28:36 am »

Will you be developing Kobolds soon? The same goes for elves, but i feel that the potential for kobolds in particular has been underexploited. If there a race of thieves, then let them be the race of thieves, with all the knowledge and skill that means, with the stolen knowledge and customs of a thousand civilisations and they're inexpertly trained animals to boot! In general, having races learn forom thier enemies would be good but it seems particularly apt in this case. As well as that, let kobolds come into thier own, with thier own domesticated creatures and thier strange society, and thier own gods and arts and myths. Draw from the mythos which inspired the idea, and i know i would love to see a connection the fae, though that may have to wait untill you get to planes, and knowing you, i have a feeling that whatever you end up doing it will be a pleasant surprise. Also, when will animal people get thier own sites, possibly based in the caverns and spreading to the service?

I dont think ToadyOne plans on the Kobolds being the 'thief race'. Their sorta just like ferrets or ravens or magpies (I think thats a thieving bird too), except that their bit smarter then them but not quite sentient.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: September 08, 2012, 04:51:30 am »

Devlog time!

Quote from: Toady One the Great
Goblin sites continue. Right now I'm stopping certain tunnels to the main tower from forcing you to go through open areas filled with dozens of goblins and otherwise arranging things more carefully to balance function and playability.

Looks like they're coming along really quickly, so, of course, he'll get bogged down in something soon.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #3266 on: September 08, 2012, 08:13:26 am »

I dont think ToadyOne plans on the Kobolds being the 'thief race'. Their sorta just like ferrets or ravens or magpies (I think thats a thieving bird too), except that their bit smarter then them but not quite sentient.

I would agree with novel, in many of the places i have seen kolbolds, they are all the same in the given fantasy worlds, little pests not much better than rats that have an affanity with the shiny stuff. i do belive that their thiving ways could be better explained and their race could be expanded. in other words...

1) we could try to make kolbolds more interesting and better developed.

2) we could continue the kolbold stereotype and make them smart rats.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: September 08, 2012, 09:34:26 am »

Goblin sites continue. Right now I'm stopping certain tunnels to the main tower from forcing you to go through open areas filled with dozens of goblins and otherwise arranging things more carefully to balance function and playability.

Goblin sites are well underway. The typical setup we're going for, with variations, is a central tower with a series of tunnels and pits underground that connect to the first underground layer, with some trenches, tunnel entrances and watch towers up above on the surface. The central tower's dungeons can reach well below the first layer. The larger pits will be where the industries are centered, so that debris can convenient be tossed down into the natural caverns. The human keep+dungeon infrastructure is coming in handy here, though the final result will look very different. The tunnel systems are sprawling but sparse, so you can't get lost as easily and you don't generally meet a zillion gobs at a time.

It appears that one does simply walk into goblin towers, because some gates are deliberately underguarded.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: September 08, 2012, 09:58:48 am »

I think it's more an attempt to make it at least theoretically possible to sneak into a goblin tower if you are skilled enough, rather than entirely impossible because the goblins are packed like sardines in every available space.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: September 08, 2012, 10:59:16 am »

I think it's more an attempt to make it at least theoretically possible to sneak into a goblin tower if you are skilled enough, rather than entirely impossible because the goblins are packed like sardines in every available space.

Though you have to admit, that would make for some hilarious infiltration missions.

"Alright, Urist, what do you see around the corner?"
"Uh, about thirty goblins in a twenty foot space. I think it's the rec room."
".....Shit."
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 748