Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3746530 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4695 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:28 pm »

Same amount of ticks, I'm guessing. 72 times per day instead of one.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: December 22, 2012, 12:17:34 am »

So, hes asking for perfect continuity from Fort Mode to Adventure Mode. ToadyOne already told us, that that is implausible.

Its probably wont cause a CTD, but yea, I'm sure some weird ass forts out there wont be well replicated in function or more probable, in intention.

But thats an unreasonable request or expectation, and making Fort Mode operate at the same time frame as Adventure Mode, wont fix that, nor if Adventure Mode work at Fort Mode time frame.

As thats not the only compromise that needs to happen, when making Forts retireable and unretireable.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: December 22, 2012, 01:46:18 pm »

Will reclamation missions be developed? I'm sure you can think of where this idea came from (thanks Strife26), and i think it's well worth consideration. After all, i hear of plans to make mega-beasts more intelligent; surely a smart beast would be beyond the capability of 7 dwarfs, particularly with assorted minions? Clearly taking into consideration not forcing people into adventurer mode is a good idea, though in some lost forts this is already somewhat of a must, and using a fortress mode-like interface for such a thing would certainly have it's challenges, but doing such in adventurer mode at least doesn't strike me as too difficult. Particularly with the AI fortresses being worked on, having the reclaiming dwarves do their own thing until or if you lead them doesn't strike me as an impossibility, that is unless you simply choose to jump right into it with your adventurer having an option to be counted amongst your beginning dwarves. On the other hand, measures would have to be taken so that such quests only occur in sufficiently difficult situations, and if you don't reclaim it first, there's a good chance someone else will have.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: December 22, 2012, 10:35:22 pm »

Looks like we're getting somewhere finally! I think before we get disease we need more healthcare reform.

What kind of file size are you getting for your saves with all the new content added? If you can, could you give us a set of parameters (world size and settings) and the file size please?

Is succession causing a further slowdown of the game during worldgen, and if so how close are we to the point where 64bit or alternative file arrangements (i.e. some kind of virtual memory) are becoming a necessity to avoid crashes?

When we got to DF2012, a lot of people started to get serious problems during worldgen with the game crashing or slowing down, and I'm wondering what we can expect for DF2013.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: December 22, 2012, 10:56:38 pm »

How are you planning to compensate for larger file sizes? Will there be a different encryption method? What will this mean for modders?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: December 23, 2012, 06:44:48 am »

When we got to DF2012, a lot of people started to get serious problems during worldgen with the game crashing or slowing down, and I'm wondering what we can expect for DF2013.
0.34.01 had some crash bugs, and a slow world-gen, but those were fixed in the bug fixing cycle. World gen is reportedly faster than 31.25 now.

It's Likely DF2013 won't have issues with word-gen, but overall it should be on par with the quality of 0.34.01. Some crash bugs are likely in the initial release.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: December 23, 2012, 09:49:30 am »

Since you're working on improving the succession system, are you planning on adding family names?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: December 23, 2012, 10:50:54 am »

So death comes before birth.  I guess Toady's worlds just eventually get pretty morbid at this point.   I look forward to having a new holiday though. 

Happy Reaper Day!  It's the one day of the year where the grim reaper stops hanging out at your fortress and decides to head out into the would for one caffeine fueled triple shift of death!  Then he comes back to your fortress and crashes on your couch for the rest of the year.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: December 23, 2012, 12:18:02 pm »

Is succession causing a further slowdown of the game during worldgen, and if so how close are we to the point where 64bit or alternative file arrangements (i.e. some kind of virtual memory) are becoming a necessity to avoid crashes?

The succession is mostly targeted to POST-worldgen activities, so any slowdown would be very minute -- such as those caused by slight restructuring. It may even speed up if he's making any optimizations in the succession's code while he's at it. This leg is to make things that are going on in world gen still keep happening once the world is finished generating, so the real question is if this is going to slow down the game OTHER than worldgen.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: December 23, 2012, 12:26:28 pm »

So death comes before birth.  I guess Toady's worlds just eventually get pretty morbid at this point.   I look forward to having a new holiday though. 

Happy Reaper Day!  It's the one day of the year where the grim reaper stops hanging out at your fortress and decides to head out into the would for one caffeine fueled triple shift of death!  Then he comes back to your fortress and crashes on your couch for the rest of the year.

Now I am imagining the reaper all on a caffeine high. "You're too old *slash* and you're too old *slash*... whoa here's an old fella *slash* NOBODY PARTIES LIKE DEATH PARTIES! WHOOOOOOOOOOO! Ah, here's another one *slash*.. oh and hmmm... sorry bro, but you are one day under my cutoff date... see you next year, pal." 
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: December 23, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »

Quote from: Toady
Death comes before birth, if you were wondering.

That's probably the best description of Dwarf Fortress ever written.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: December 24, 2012, 03:01:16 am »

Since you're working on improving the succession system, are you planning on adding family names?
I seem to recall this coming up in one of the DF Talk sessions, and Toady indicated that there was a tendency for one or two family names to completely take over and entire civ's named historical figures, and thus end up meaningless as a means of distinguishing them.  This might have gone away since the populations of "nameless" non-historical figures is much larger now, so there could be a constant injection of new names to the named populace from that direction. 

I would personally really like to see family names go in, at least for certain civilizations - humans because it is something we actually do, and dwarves because there's a sort of clan-based theme that ties in nicely with the idea of dwarves which I've always liked. 

Anyway, my point is that it hasn't (to my knowledge) ever been a significant technical limitation, but rather a design choice to try to keep names unique (and thereby meaningful). 
where is up?

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: December 24, 2012, 06:48:50 am »

Quote from: Toady
Death comes before birth, if you were wondering.

That's probably the best description of Dwarf Fortress ever written.
The difference between birth and death seems insignificant if you spend the last moment of your short life on your mother's arm, used as a shield in battle.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: December 24, 2012, 11:49:47 am »

When will metals diversify across races? I can understand if adamantine remains a Dwarven thing (usually), but you'd think humans and goblins would pick up steel. Of course, there's the question of other rare resources for other races, but i suppose that will have to wait until you get to randomized metals. Until then, however, why don't goblins who take out a fortress with adamantine at the least nick the stuff you've made, and with the introduction of non-lethal combat, you'd think they'd try to take the smiths alive, which would add an interesting dynamic as to balancing who you should teach the craft, as well as dwarven civilizations trying to crush or at least remove all evidence/knowledge from the thief's before the knowledge spreads (with what i wouldn't be surprised to be a dedicated sect), which every now and then they should pull off. It would also make for an interesting infiltration quest in adventure mode (with some badass companions), with only time to tell if you've succeeded. It could also make for some interesting conversations with the dwarven liaisons, either trying to hide it from their knowledge or their wroth at it's waste or uncloaked use. Which leads to masking, concealment... yes, i like where this is going. The same could go both ways if the goblins discover something they wish to keep for themselves. It also would make long-term goblin sieges more challenging (with the explanation that they give the weaklings trash), as well as escalating the annoyance of Kobolds, who by all rights should have a black market by now.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:36:55 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: December 24, 2012, 11:54:13 am »

For the civilizations with several races, will different districts come into effect, as well as possible amalgamations from cultural influences? Say, with those much sought half-races?
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 748